Background Blitz: February 5th - 14th

Started by Pessi, Thu 05/02/2004 10:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Pessi

Hopefully this background blitz gets more attention than the previous one. :) This one will end on Saturday so the next one can start on Monday or something like that. I hope it's OK.

The subject for this Background Blitz will be "meeting at a warehouse". The style should be something that would fit a rather serious detective adventure game. There will be a meeting with some criminals/gangsters at some warehouse at nighttime. The atmosphere is supposed to be exciting/scary. Pay attention to lighting.

Dorcan

Count me in ! :D
Are there any restrictions ? Size, colors ?

Pessi

Alright! ;D

Thanks for bringing that up, I all forgot about it! The size 320x240, colors 256. I hope this doesn't limit anyone's style very bad.

Good luck!

Pet Terry

Whoo, I could try entering if I find enough time ( I bet I find ;) ) So, yeah, sounds interesting :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Minimi

I'm drawing one on paper... and I'll probably post it in a few days. Maybe tomorrow already. Can I also draw characters on the background??

sergiocornaga

Alright! If I do one, It'll be in grayscale.  ;D

JimmyShelter

I started making one.

Allready it looks more cartoony then I had in mind, but it's one of the first backgrounds ever I'm making, so I'm happy it doesn't look completely bad. :)

Darth Mandarb

I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring this time around ...

Detective John Harper tracks down the Nazis who have kidnapped American silver
screen star Lyza St. Claire to the wharehouse district on the South Harbour docks.
A second world war looms on the horizon ...

Pessi

Looking real good! Very interesting style Darth, especially the perspective. Seems really animation friendly. I like the tension created with the characters.

Minimi, yes you can. It can be a kind of a screenshot, like Darth's one. As long as the characters could work as actual sprites.

Grayscale holds great potential. Hopefully you'll be able to make it.

Rock on, everybody! I didn't expect such interest. :)

Pessi

Just a reminder - one day to go! Give it a try, guys.  :)

Minimi

I'll just my entry right now. It's only the scanned sketch of me with pencil. The truth is, I have not much time in hands, otherwise I woulda coloured it. Very busy days, and I have to go within a hour again!  :-\

Well here is my entry! I really did my best on making it look good :( maybe next time, I do find the time...

Dorcan

We can submit our creation the last day, which is the 14th, right ? I haven't finished yet and I will not be able to continue it until tomorrow evening, sooo...

Pessi

Dorcan, yeah. Great to hear you're still interested. :)

Minimi, looks really nice. The trees really add to the atmosphere with their shapes. Even though you didn't get to use any colour the atmosphere is obvious. Good work. Thanks for showing it!

Dorcan

I'm not very happy with the lighting and shadows, but oh well I wanted to finish it quickly.

plasticman

pessi, can i ask you to wait for my submission before closing the blitz ?
i started working on this yesterday because i didn't see the thread before... it should be finished soon, otherwise i'll just post it the way it is.
very inspiring subject, and good entries !

Darth Mandarb

Dorcan - I continue to be impressed with your light/shadows art.  Great job!

Pessi

Dorcan, that is amazing!!! It doesn't really bother me that it isn't that polished since the major stuff is pretty much right there. And "pretty much" just because you say they could be better. :)

Very Igorish, in a good way.

Plasticman, sure. Can you give a rough estimation when it'll be finished?

I really like what I've seen so far! Thanks everyone.

plasticman

thanks, just give me half an hour and i'll upload it !

Dorcan

I forgot to congratulate Darth Mandarb for his use of isometric background and characters style I love so much :D  Good work !

Minimi, I like your trees, very creepy :) Are you thinking about coloring your background anyway ?

Plasticman, I'm impatient to see your entry.

Thanks Pessi :)

plasticman

here we go ! it's still a bit messy but i don't want to let you wait more.
now that i see it in small size with my desk lamp turned on, it looks way too dark. oh well...

again, great job guys. it's a shame we don't see more entries.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk