Background Blitz: February 5th - 14th

Started by Pessi, Thu 05/02/2004 10:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkoddi

Darth Mandarb

Great work plasticman!  That's really good!

evilspacefart

i really liked darth's, but plastic's just totally took me by surprise.

Pessi

OK, I think it would be reasonable to have the voting time end in, say, 9 hours. That's pretty much 9PM (GMT +02:00) for me so I could wrap this up. I'm completely confused by all the time zones so I'm not sure if it is reasonable. Let me know if it isn't.

And my vote goes to... Plasticman! The image is totally sweet. Here's why:

Darth Mandarb's image definitely works. However, the thing why it doesn't work the BEST for this Blitz is that the style could be more serious. The style is great though, as already pointed out, but Plasticman was closer to the serious detectivegame look I was after. The best part of Darth's image were the characteristic characters :) and the perspective.

Minimi's piece has a great potential, it's a shame it isn't finished or near finished. That's why I can't really compare it to the others.

Dorcan did great on lighting. The most advanced lighting of the entries, in my opinion. I like the different hues and the bouncing light. The reason why I prefer Plasticman's entry to this is again because of the style. His style would work better for a serious game in my opinion. So it's not about skill really, just the style. But different styles are all good, if everyone had the same styles it would be boring.

Just one thing I would like to see in Plasticman's image would be something to make the shadows a bit more appealing. Like different hues or some shapes there. But anyway, you can't use very much time on Background Blitz so it's something that could be just because of lack of time. I don't know, it's just something I'd like to see.

All in all, this was a very pleasant surprise for me to see so many high-standard entries. Thanks again! Vote people!

Darth Mandarb

I think I gotta go with plasticman's as well.

It totally looks like what I had in mind when I started mine!  I went a different direction as I developed it.  My description actually fits better with his image than with my own I think!

Dorcan's is awesome too ... I had a really hard time picking between the two, but went with plastics for the same reason Pessi did.

Minimi's was a great start, I would have liked to see where it could have gone ...

I'm babbling ...

Awesome jobs guys!

~ d

TheYak

Great flaming ghost-turds, Plasticman! That's fooking amazing.  They're all gorgeous and each very unique.  I'm envious of skills shown in each but PM's just screams ambience.  My imagination of the scene, after reading the blitz regs, is pretty well captured by Plasticman.  Plastikmon, I choose you!

Dorcan

I was expecting something big comming from Plasticman, and I'm not dissapointed ! Awesome !
My vote to Plasticman

Minimi

hmm.. plasticman's background is really great, no doubt about that, but I vote for Dorcan, because I like the sketchy feel about it.
When DM entered the comp. early, I thought, WOW! noone is going to make anything better than this! lol ;) So you all did a great job!

Eggie

I vote for Dorcan.
It just oozes with character...just put it in a game with a generic 'detectiveish' MIDI and it would be fine for a serious detective game...

Paper Carnival

I vote for me and plasticman. Plasticman's is really awsome!

plasticman

thanks for the comments guys, they're appreciated.

Pessi, i totally see what you mean about the shadows. i tried going for something different first, but it didn't come out too well so i ended up throwing those shadows in without too much consideration, i'm afraid.

my vote goes to Dorcan, mainly because of the work on the lighting which gives the scene an interesting atmosphere.
you definitely displayed the best technique.

DM's unique style looks good as usual, but i also think it's hard to make it work well with a serious theme like this one.
by the way, i only noticed afterwards that your setting was near the docks ! that was the first idea that came to mind after i read the topic of the blitz. maybe we just watch the same movies :)

Pessi

And the winner iis, Plasticman! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the next Blitz.

:) :) :)

cpage

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk