Tune Contest - Feb. 6 to 13th

Started by Gregjazz, Sat 07/02/2004 02:34:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregjazz

That last contest was fun with the theme song stuff, so I thought this contest could be similar. This week's rules:

- Make an original theme song for any character; one that already exists, or one that you create.

Other than that there are no restrictions.

Also, I will be giving out prizes to the top three entries -- one prize of your choice:

- War drums (Celtic Bodhran drum, and a Kodo drum)
- Slap Bass (with wah-wah effect)
- Harpsichord

These sounds are very good, and cannot be found anywhere else. They are available in Soundfont, Gigasampler, Fast Tracker 2 (XI), and MP3 format. I can also do a few other formats, too.

Have fun!

EDIT: You also need to post an image of the character your theme song is about. That will help me judge it when the contest is over.

Peter Thomas

oooooohhh!!  ;D

These ideas keep getting better.....

*runs away to think of character*
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Pet Terry

Ooh, a prize, that makes me want to enter! I'll try to came up with something :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Damien

Here's the character (warning, image size 860kb):

Look at him go!
If character seems to move a bit slow, it's because of the browser, try to open the gif with some external viewing program.

Here's the theme for the character
BadGuy.mid (1:20)

Oh yeah. 8)

Gregjazz

Looks like Damien has other talents besides music! My, that's a pretty evil-sounding theme song. That drummer is quite skilled to be keep up those 32nd-note kicks.

Sluggo

EDIT: never mind. I had to save it to get it to work though.
I can't get the download to work. It keeps saying 'cannot find server'.

Gregjazz

And who's that supposed to be, MillsJROSS? "Angry Couch Potato Man"! The music is very fitting.

Oh, and remember, you can always use a character that already exists.

MrColossal

why that's none other than Ace Quest Adventunaire!
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Trapezoid

Can it be a real person?
I hope so. You don't know her anyway.

"Chloe"

Gregjazz

Right, Trapezoid, any character you want.

Nice 7/4 time! I also really like that guitar! It has a nice snappy, clear sound to it. 8)

Sluggo

Here's my entry:
http://cygnes.homestead.com/files/spanishconversation.mid

I believe this painting is titled: 'Conversation with a Spanish Woman'.

Pet Terry

Here's my character:

And here's my entry:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/hurjat/petteri_cutemon.ogg

About the drums samples, I guess I should thank Geoffkhan about those. He show a link yesterday in irc and I took the drums out of that :P

So thanks :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Ghormak

Achtung Franz! The comic

EldKatt_not_logged_in

I shall be gone for at least twelve hours for now, but after that I might hurriedly write something. But I probably won't. Aww.

Gregjazz

Hmm.. Well, there are enough entries, so I guess I'll judge it tomorrow. (Friday the 13th, uh oh, be prepared!)

Peter Thomas

argh!! hold on geoff!!

gimme 2 seconds.....

oh crap...... now I have to write a song in 15 minutes.....

*sigh* I guess it's possible........

Peter T Unplugged

Oh alright.... forget my last post geoff..... go ahead and judge.....

I am completely void of inspiration...

And I was looking FORWARD to this one too..... :-\

Gregjazz

Well, I'll judge them tonight unless you really want to enter the contest that badly. I'm willing to wait a bit if you think you can get an entry done. It's no problem.

EDIT: Also, considering it's Friday the 13th today, you might want me to stall the judging until later, anyways. It's up to you guys.

Peter Thomas

heh! I didn't even realise yesterday was black friday! I was too busy thinking about today!! yay!! loverrly Valentines day!!

But I maintain my last post. Forget about my entry..... it won't happen *sigh*.

Gregjazz

Okay then: the results! (echos please)

Also remember that the top three places get to pick a prize from the list in my first post in this thread. So if you're in the top three, PM me (or email me at geoffkhan@mail2jazz.com) which one prize of your choice and preferred format you want.

The 1st place winner will start the next tune contest, as usual, of course.

I thought I'd do a little critique of all the tunes before I announce the results:

8-Bit Ninja (Ghormak) -- This song was very fitting to the character. I really appreciate the old 'nintendo-style' music. Well done!

Cutemon (Petteri) -- Also very fitting. The marimba is a nice touch. The only comment I have is that the hihat (that you ripped from the sample of my drum soundfont) gets cut off when played twice in succession. I'll release that drumset soundfont for you guys after I clean it up a bit.

Spanish Conversation (Sluggo) -- I like the overall feel of this piece. I know it's a midi, but it needs more dynamics and expression. You got a great composition going there! Mysterious and sophisticated at the same time.

Chloe (Trapezoid) -- 7/4 is one of my favorite odd meters. The simple melody is an awesome contrast to the relatively complex rhythm backing. The pitch bends on the bass are good -- it's great that you are taking in account little things like that.

Ace Quest Guy (MillsJROSS) -- Somehow that music always brings a smile to my face. A nice theme for that little guy with his arms out like he's ready for action. Or something like that.

Bad Guy (Damien) -- Pretty evil sounding stuff. Looks like you're a pretty accomplished artist, also. My suggestion for a song like this would be to make it a bit more human-sounding. If you put in a bit more expression and humanization, it can sound even more hard-driving. Try moving the drums back in time a few ticks or so -- you'll notice the difference. Gunk gaga choo ga! Gunk gaga choo ga! (Geoffkhan imitating drum noises in song)

And now, the winners:

Tie for 3rd place: Petteri and Ghormak!

2nd place: Sluggo!

1st place: Trapezoid! (Have you noticed that he wins most all of the contests he enters? :))

You obviously noticed the tie for 3rd place. I could simply not make up my mind which one was better. So looks like I give out four total prizes instead of three like I originally intended. PM me or email me at geoffkhan@mail2jazz.com.

On to the next contest!

Pet Terry

Ooh, yay! And congratulations to all the other winners :) I'll PM you right away Geoffkhan.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Trapezoid

Hooray! :) Thank you so much.
I wouldn't say I win "most all the contests" I enter... Not the last three ones I participated in, anyway. But I'm happy I won this, and I just emailed you with my soundfont choice.
Now I shall get brainstorming on the next contest.

Ghormak

A well deserved victory!

Quote8-Bit Ninja (Ghormak) -- This song was very fitting to the character. I really appreciate the old 'nintendo-style' music. Well done!
Whew, I wasn't really sure this kind of music would do well in a compo like this. I made it in Goattracker, which perfectly emulates the Commodore 64's SID chip, so your comment about 'nintendo-style' isn't really correct, though. ;)

(PM has been sent)
Achtung Franz! The comic

Gregjazz

I know, but 'Nintendo-style' was the only word my wee brain could think up at the moment. I appreciate the limiting sounds you used. :)

EDIT: Also, here's a freebie soundfont for all of you: http://www.sonic.net/~schlae/herculeaneffort/cleanslapbass.zip

It's freebie because it's only around 250kb -- but still a great soundfont all the same!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk