I Love Vel - The Vel Love Thread

Started by Migs, Wed 11/02/2004 20:16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Meowster

Hello people, the Vel LOVE Thread.

Love[/b].

Migs

I don't think this is a stupid thread.  It's not stupid to let someone know why you appreciate them and all the hard work they do to improve the community.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Flippy_D

Heh, I love that. TK doesn't slate Vel and then Vel actually attacks him for poor English...  ::)

Meowster

Velislav is awesome!  :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-\ :-* :'(

shbaz

Vel you seem to be referring to general knowledge as the things you are well versed in. I used to think I was smarter than everyone else too, but turned out, I was just surrounded by idiots at the time. Now that I'm in college among intellectuals, I realize my weaknesses. Maybe it's time for you to do the same and stop treating everyone like idiots until they "prove" themselves to you. That's a horrible attitude to have, not making friends is one thing, but you're also making people hate you.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Meowster

TheYak

Ah, shit, since the thread's still here, may as well contribute a moderately more serious post.  

Vel, you're a very bright guy. The dedication that you show when working on your game, pimping it until nobody wants to play it  :P, and working on the E-Zine, etc., are applause-worthy.  

The ego's fine.  You're smart and know a lot of general schtuff, good for you.  Just stop basing the worth of a person upon their knowledge of banalities that nobody who works for a living gives a shit about.  Oh, and lay off the brocolli, it gives you gas.

LordHart

Quote from: Jackhammer on Thu 12/02/2004 21:07:00Maybe it's time for you to do the same and stop treating everyone like idiots until they "prove" themselves to you.

I tend to find that everyone has their own thing that they excel at. For instance, I know alot of really useless trivia about things like wrestling, rugby league and sports like that. I also have a good imagination and can write stories well, not great, but they do entertain my friends that have seen them.

Vel on the otherhand, he excels at a few things. Being annoying as already stated (i haven't really got a problem with him, beh) and by the looks of it, he seems to finish what he sets out to do. A few games that he's released, the AGezine... and of course, annoying poeple on IRC. :P

shbaz

Quote from: Os Último Quão Queijo ^_^ on Thu 12/02/2004 23:36:50
I tend to find that everyone has their own thing that they excel at.

That's because people will remember and learn more about what interests them personally. The reason I don't know all of the capitols of Europe is because it doesn't really concern me much. I'm interested in electronics, engineering, guitar, and history, so I know alot about those things. People who are really bright just have more of an interest in a broad range of things than other people, which is why they remember that stuff. Sometimes it's not as in depth as others though.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Harvester

Vel likes Uriah Heep, so he's in my cool book.
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

Vel

Sorry TK, but I hardly understood anything from the first paragraph of your post.
And now, about general knowledge. In my opinion, those are things you MUST know in order to be an intelligent person. For example, I think that you should know the capitals of Spain, Poland or Portugal, not those of Butan, Djibuti and Ivory Coast. For history, the thing that is important to know is the history of your country and important facts of those of other. You see, there is difference between general knowledge and further knowledge in a topic. Sorry about my attitude, I don't consider anyone who posted in this topic dumb or stupid(except one person), but I will tell you a real occasion to illustrate my point of view. So, I am talking to the dumbest guy from my class, and I ask him "Do you know who wrote "The three musketeers"? He answered "Well if you hum it I may tell you." I hope you understand my point of view.

Nine Toes

Quote from: Os Último Quão Queijo ^_^ on Thu 12/02/2004 01:39:19
I never thought i'd see it... but theres alot of ice and snow here, and the devil is wearing a really thick jumper.

When were you in Wisconsin, Ultimo?  I wish you woulda told me... we coulda gone bar hoppin'!  Hittin' on women, tippin' cows, driving drunk and trying to outrun the cops... it woulda been a blast!

Oh, yeah... that's right.  Me, I personally don't have a problem with Vel.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Meowster

This is turning into more of a hate thread and should be closed. It's not nice to target people.

Except Mark, but that's alright because everybody loves him anyway.

veryweirdguy

I think there is a difference between intelligence & general knowledge.

Intelligence is if you are a great thinker, can do maths equations, can solve problems easily, are philisopical, etc etc.

General Knowledge is more memory. You could probably teach a parrot to remember the capital of Portugal, but that doesn't make it intelligent.

Look at quiz show contestants or people who always win the pub quiz every Thursday. Sure, they get all the questions right, but I doubt you could have a really stimulating conversation with them (some of them).

I'm not denying that you are intelligent, Vel, I just think there is a difference.

Now, everybody join hands....

When you were young and your heeeaart was an open book
You used to saaaay live & let live
(You know you did you know you did you know you did)....
But something something WUUUUUUURLD in which we live in
Dum dum give it a try
To live & let diiiiiiiie

You guys continue singing, I'm gonna run away & hope you don't notice...

TheYak

I don't think I know the capitals of Spain, Poland, or Portugal.  Hmm.. Spain's Madrid, right? Portugal's Barcelona.. no that's Spain.  Damnation, I know them not without looking it up. I'm the aforementioned dumb one.  

Of course, I could memorize them, thoroughly, so I could quote 'em off the top of my head but really, who gives a fuck?  I'm a pacifist but I've got more chance of making use of my knowledge of firearms & explosives.  I think you're Black & Whiting it too much there Vel.  Perhaps you should state that you prefer the company of intellectuals, those that pursue knowledge for its own sake.

shbaz

I don't know them either Yak. In the eighth grade we memorized every US state and capitol, and every country and capitol, along with major rivers and bodies of water. I obviously never had use for it, or I would still remember. If I need to know a capitol I consult a map. It's not important for me because I'm not a political science or geography major. Right now I'm concentrating in sciences and math.

I do understand what you mean though Vel, I once asked a girl who we fought in the Civil War (the war America had with itself over slavery) and she answered, "Wasn't that Germany?" I just don't think you give those low expectations to everyone.

Minimi

Hmm... Just because someone doesn't have much knowledge of things, doesn't make him/her less intelligent. Intelligence is making the right choices, with the knowledge capacity you have.

Like jackhammer said, if someone is interested in only a few subjects and uses those knowledges in a smart way, then he might be more intelligent than someone that knows alot from everything, but makes all the wrong choices. Like some freak that does not have any friends and such....

Vel, I know it's your age that you react like this, but cmon your only 15 years old! I'm sure you'll think very differently about things when you start to grow up. Now go back to your toys!! I love you!  :-*

Vel

Ok, here's Vel Intelligence theory:
In my opinion, the thing we call intelligence consists of thee components:
1. Natural intelligence
2. General Knowledge
3. Further Knowledge in certain areas the person is interested in.
Pretty self explanitory.

SSH

Quote from: Minimi on Fri 13/02/2004 15:35:02
Vel, I know it's your age that you react like this, but cmon your only 15 years old! I'm sure you'll think very differently about things when you start to grow up. Now go back to your toys!! I love you!  :-*

says the 17-year-old  ::)

If I ever get a captial question in Who Wants to be a Millionaire? it will be Vel that I phone...

Captain Mostly

I don't know my capitols, but at least I have the decency to be embarassed by it.

I ALSO have a very weak grasp of global geography, because when I was going through school, they'd decided that this sort fo thing didn't need to be taught any more. WTF?!?!?!

I bought myself a world map poster only a little while ago, and spent a lot of time looking at it, hoping to diffuse the information into my brain. Then I took it home and left it at my parents' house by accident. But at least now I can just about tell you where lichtenstien is (although I probably can't spell it!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk