Tune Contest - Feb. 14 to 21

Started by Trapezoid, Sun 15/02/2004 00:10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezoid

This week's theme: Experimental music.

Let your imagination run wild, as long as it doesn't sound remotely traditional. Stay away from verse/chorus structures, consistent tempos, etc. Please DO go crazy with weird synths, sound effects, and general strangeness. The more complicated and bizarre the better. Create something that you'd never hear on the radio in a million years.
If you want, look through an image library like Corbis and find an image you like. Try and illustrate that image with your music.

No size, length, or format restrictions.

The winner will be chosen based on creativity.  :)

Gregjazz

This has to be the best tune contest yet! I'm in. Wow.

Peter T Unplugged

YAHOOOOOO!!!!

(That's french for I'm in, too)

Fuzzpilz

I've been meaning to participate in the tune contests again, and it'd feel horrible to let this one pass by.

Save the children!

Something I whipped up in an hour or two... if I have time, I'll do a more interesting one later. I wrote a lot of the software I used myself, if that counts for anything. (given the topic, I think it should, but obviously no one could call me unbiased on this ;))

Trapezoid

Heeeey... Get those entries in!

Ghormak

SEND THE TOPIC

A crappy little thing that isn't really finished (and I didn't really want to finish it), but I thought I'd just put something here so Fuzzpilz has something to beat easily.
Achtung Franz! The comic

MrColossal

i was told to enter this:

this is a track my friend made for me, a kind of present for me to remember him by since he moved away.

Teh Awesume in D Minor featuring Pisie

and before you listen to it... I just want to say I'm sorry and the original track is an hour long.

My favourite part is around minute 3.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Fuzzpilz

I didn't feel like submitting another if nobody else was going to, but since they did now:

Save the children! Again!

Making the other involved a lot of cutting up long recordings and stuff; this one is 99% live. Hurrah!

JimmyShelter

Quote from: Ghormak on Fri 20/02/2004 18:04:05
SEND THE TOPIC

A crappy little thing that isn't really finished (and I didn't really want to finish it), but I thought I'd just put something here so Fuzzpilz has something to beat easily.

I do like it! Great for a horror sf game or something. Especially if it's a scene with some time pressure. The weird rhythm makes players feel uneasy, and that's great in horror games.

JimmyShelter

Quote from: Fuzzpilz on Sun 15/02/2004 05:08:46
I've been meaning to participate in the tune contests again, and it'd feel horrible to let this one pass by.

Save the children!

Something I whipped up in an hour or two... if I have time, I'll do a more interesting one later. I wrote a lot of the software I used myself, if that counts for anything. (given the topic, I think it should, but obviously no one could call me unbiased on this ;))

Not really a song, just some noise. But I must admit, very good noise. :)

It sounds really good, I just like a bit more stucture than this. Weird time signatures I can dig, this a bit too freeform for me. but ofcourse, it really fits the topic.

Gregjazz

My possible entry:

http://www.sonic.net/~schlae/herculeaneffort/entry21404.mp3

An odd-meter atonal song. (atonal in both melody and chords) Try to guess what meter it is in?

Fuzzpilz

Seems to be 11/8. I didn't pay much attention to that, though, because I was concentrating on hearing the awesome in it, which is in quite abundant supply. Nice to hear somebody try a completely different angle, although I have to say it ends up sounding rather jazzish and non-weird.

JimmyShelter

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Fri 20/02/2004 21:55:36
My possible entry:

http://www.sonic.net/~schlae/herculeaneffort/entry21404.mp3

An odd-meter atonal song. (atonal in both melody and chords) Try to guess what meter it is in?

I tried to count, but I couldn't count it.

Cool jazzy sound. I like it a lot!

One thing ... I had to really turn uo my volume to hear it properly.

Gregjazz

Yah, don't turn up your volume at the beginning. It gets pretty loud when the A section kicks in. :)

If you guys had a hard time counting, just imagine how hard it was for me to play the melody and solo over it! It's in 5/4. I really don't think it starts sounding unweird towards the end. Maybe a little, but it's interesting how natural you can try to make weirdness sound. I originally composed this tune (specifically for the contest, mind you) on the piano with the idea that I'd stick to an atonal melody and chord progression.

I wanna see if I can come up with something better before the contest ends.

EDIT: Okay, I came up with another song, but it's not weird enough, so I guess that first song I uploaded is my entry.

Peter Thomas

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/Telephone_Murder.mid

That is surely my weirdest, most bizarre tune EVER created. But it is always good to work outside your comfort zone.

Yes, alright..... everyone knows that midi SUCKS, but I can't convert to mp3 JUST yet... (my software has been rather un-co-operative for the last while). In the meantime, you'll have to put up with whatever sounds your computer throws at you... :P It works fine for me, but on my other 'puter, the 'telephone' sound comes out as a pizzicato violin, and other weird stuff happens.

I was basically trying to get across that feel of uncertainty you get in the movies when the phone rings but you don't know who it is, and the victim is at home by herself, ghostly white and blood trickling from her slit wrists.....

ok... that's a bit too dramatic, but you got the idea.

Argh! I talk too much!! Just listen to the crap, already!!
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

EldKatt

Can I enter? Can I enter? Can I enter?

(If I don't really enter with something today, do ignore this.)

Trapezoid

Go ahead and try, EldKatt.
I'll probably judge tonight.

Trapezoid

Okay! Time to judge. Sorry Katt.

Fuzzpilz's entries are some awesome, whacked out shiat. Those are some really screwy synth noises you've got there, pal. I'm jealous.

Ghormak also rocks. I love all the flanging and vintage synths and generally creepy atmosphere. It's also very concise, so it never gets annoying (hard to avoid with a contest like this.).

MrColossal's friend... I'm sorry. You lose. :D
Now I have something to annoy my friends with, other than my habit of sidling up to random strangers and acting like they're my friends.

Geoffkhan delivers as usual... I love it. Has a cool midi-ish vibe to it, and of course it's probably the most well orchestrated out of all the entries.

Peter Thomas certainly took full advantage of the midi format, and I really dig the skewed melodrama.

The winner is... hmmm.... Fuzzpilz! I just can't get over how cool his synths sound. Maybe it's not exactly what I had in mind for this contest, but it's impressive enough to win. Congratulations.

And as a treat, here's the song I would've entered (even though I made it several months ago.) http://www.eviltrailmix.com/lemondemon/downloads/Correctional%20Facility%20Food%20Sucks.mp3
It's total ear-rape, although it doesn't quite match MrColossal's friend's song.

Fuzzpilz

Yayness! Thanks. I'll start the next one ASAP.

Quote from: Trapezoid on Sun 22/02/2004 06:22:16
And as a treat, here's the song I would've entered (even though I made it several months ago.) http://www.eviltrailmix.com/lemondemon/downloads/Correctional%20Facility%20Food%20Sucks.mp3
It's total ear-rape, although it doesn't quite match MrColossal's friend's song.

That is the best thing. I'd have loved to do something more like this, but I just don't have enough different sources for samples, at least not while my TV card doesn't work.

Gregjazz

Wow, congrats, Fuzzpilz! I will look forward to the next contest.

By the way, I just got that Buzz Machines program and saw a bunch of your stuff in it (machines and songs) -- you're famous!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk