Sam Martin: The case of the locked room corpse

Started by Darcness, Sun 20/02/2005 01:59:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Darcness

Well, some time last year I created a private detective adventure game using RPG Maker 2000 graphics.  I didn't, however, finish the game since I didn't think hardcore adventure gamers would enjoy playing an adventure game using RPG graphics.

That is, until I saw Catacombic. It uses RPG graphics, and still turns out to be a great game, so I decided to continue with my PI game.

The game sees you as Sam Martin, a private investigator who is down on his luck.  Sam has a month to make some money or he loses his PI business. One night, while having a somber time with his good friend Jack Daniels, a beautiful woman enters his office. She hires him to find out who has been stalking her for the last two months.
Sam gets invited to her family's mansion, but a few minutes after Sam arrives the girl is murdered in the study, behind a locked door, with no other exits from the room.
Can Sam solve the case of the locked room corpse?

Here are some screenshots:

That ugly textbox GUI has gotta go!

All-in-all the game is about 80% complete, but I want to do a few changes and tweaks, so the game should be available some time in the next 2 weeks.

Also, I'm looking for some good film-noir style music that I can work off to create the soundtrack to the game, since I'm not too good at that specific style of music. But I've got to learn sometime. If anybody knows where I can get some midis which fall into this genre I'll be very thankful.

Free the Floopians, Our first commercial indie game.

[Cameron]

Looks nice Darcness. I'd like to play a detective game right about now so hurry up!!!!

splat44

Hi Darcness,

Seem a great game. Style is similar to "Case of crabs" another private Eye game.

Looking forward to it completions.

Darcness

Thanks a lot guys.

Hopefully I can get the game out real soon, since there's not much left to do except for cut-scenes and music.

Darth Mandarb

Have you ever played a game called A Friend Indeed : The Adventures of JP & Cosmo

I make a joke ...

The style I used in my game is just like this (with a few minor differences!) so this game is right up my ally!

Keep it up and good luck with this one.

Darcness

Thanks Darth.

I've just downloaded A Friend indeed, and I love what you've done with it, especially the disappearing walls. THAT is sheer genius.

I'm currently redoing the GUIs for my game, and adding some cel art cut-scenes to make the game look a bit better.

I'm still in desperate need of some reference music for the film-noir style I'm going for, so the music part might take a bit longer. Also, if I can get my hands on some pre-made midis in the same genre things might also go a bit quicker.

simulacra

Whoa! Really nice, smooth graphics. Looks interesting!

hedgefield

Good stuff! I'm a big fan of film noir detectives. The graphics remind me a little of that Indiana Jones desktop adventure thing. Very detailed. Very nice.

Kinoko

Thank god, a decent looking detective game ^_^ These don't come around too often so I'm always happy to see another one. The graphics are GREAT!

So are you still doing this in RPG maker?

Goot

I think it's made with AGS using RPG maker graphics, judging by the speech text and message box.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

simulacra

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 04/03/2005 06:15:09
The Domino's office midi on here might help you

http://www.ninth-world.com/midis.php

Oh, please write some original music. Or at least sample some jazz from the thirties that have lost its copyright. I can't stand those midi-saxophones!

Haddas

May I suggest the cigarrette is lit? Like with glow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk