Dick LaRenzo: DEMO AVAILABLE (UPDATED 09-10-05)

Started by Kal-El, Mon 28/04/2003 16:59:36

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

Did you import pics as PCX or BMP?
And what size does it compress to if you put it in a ZIP file?

Kal-El

I'm not converting to mp3's because they slooow the game down considerably.

When I say 'sound files' I mean sound files that are compiled into the actual EXE file...

This is obviously gonna be a problem for dial-up users yes and it will limit the audience. The 60MB file is a compiled setup.exe file which consists of the game AND the VOX file. I could recompile it without the VOX package which is 40MB alone but the game is crap without the voices. Still, it looks like the only thing I can do. I'll upload them now anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys anyway, I appreciate it.

Your pal, Daz.

Kal-El

The pics are imported as BMPs by the way.

SSH

If you have something to add to a post, better to edit than make another post, btw  ;)

If you have a separate VOX file, then you could provide it in both MP3/OGG and WAV formats: that way the user can decide if they want a fatsre game or a faster download. Do OGGs slow things down as much as MP3s?

I'm not sure, but I think importing pics as PCX will reduce the size, too. Does anyone know if this is true?

Kal-El

I will experiment with the OGG file format, I'm not really familiar with it.

Sorry about adding another post, I'll remember next time.

I've recompiled the distributional file WITHOUT the VOX pack and it comes in at 22.2MB, an obvious improvement.

The first demo of Dick LaRenzo: Secret Agent! is now online to download at:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/shrine/larenzo.htm and run it at 320x200 for best results!!!

Your pal, Daz.

Matt Brown

I think I'll check this one out. I'll edit once I give it a play
word up

SSH

I can't see any zip or exe to download on that page you say  :'(

Timosity

I just had a quick go,  I didn't do much, just popped a big zit.

looks pretty good, One thing that bothers me is you can't click the text away, even when you just look at something, I guess it's just personal preference, It's OK in a cutscene, but not for every piece of text.

I'll tell you more later

Kal-El

Timosity...You CAN skip the text by pressing a keyboard key, like in the Monkey Island games.

SSH, try clicking here mate :-)
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/shrine/larenzosetup.exe

Cheerz guys, your pal, Daz.

Kal-El

Hi guys...

It's been AGES since I last posted about Dick LaRenzo.

PLOT:
You play the part of hapless detective Dick LaRenzo, whose career is going down hill...QUICKLY...It seems the quiet town of Tamsley no longer requires the skills of a detective...But then again...International movie star John Gabrolta is making a guest appearance at Tamsley's famous nightclub, 'Twiggy's', and a dead body has been found outside your office...

The reason it's taking so long is because of a lot of things like work, getting married, little things like that, lol.

Feel free to check out the screenshots at:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/shrine/larenzo.htm

Your pal, Daz.

piraatlife4me

Hey I really like your screenshots! The backgrounds have  the whole LS5 look to them. Which I think is cool. I dig the look of  the main character. Good luck!
It all looks great!
Daniel
Winebarger

Kinoko

Hey hey, I like! You know, there will never ever be enough detective games out there. Thanks for adding another one though. The backgrounds look great, character looks great, and I like that you've already done a promotional poster. I keep meaning to do that...

Good luck! I look forward to this very much ^_^

Oh, and where's MY wedding invitation??

IntentInsane

Wow, your backgrounds are way better than mine, but I suppose backgrounds are there to suit the game. Mine suit my game and yours suit yours. And by the way, is it a comercial or freware release?
Intentionally Insane!
http://www.pauladmin.tk

Timosity

I remember this, and congrats on getting married and all that.

AGA

Via the magic of the 'merge' button, I've... well, merged the threads.

I also edited some of your posts a bit, guys, so the thread makes a bit more sense now it's merged.

Kal-El

Cheers guys for the kind remarks!

And thanks AGA for merging the 2 threads together, I did look for the original one but couldn't find it.

Yep, Dick LaRenzo is slowly getting there now! I really appreciate the positive feedback!

IntentInsane - Dick LaRenzo: Secret Agent! is a FREEWARE game.

Your pal, Daz.

Kal-El

I've decided to upload a demo again. There's no VOX file in the setup file. But the executable does contain some sound FX and music.

I will upload the VOX file only when the game is complete. The game just isnt the same without the voice files but hopefully it's still enjoyable.

Be warned, this is a lengthy demo too; it will probably take you over an hour to complete hopefully.

Please note: The demo is still a work in progress. I'm not happy with the title screen and will be changing the design of that at a later date.

Hope you all enjoy it!

You can download the demo here - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/shrine/larenzosetup.exe

Your pal, Daz.

P.S. Please report any bugs you may find or problems with the game. I'll try and accept criticism, lol.

CoffeeBob

Aha! You are using Sonic3-style font in the title screen, I see.

Kal-El

Hi Largo...

Lol, to be honest I had no intention of using the Sonic 3-style font. Like I said though, that title screen is only there as a rough design. I'm gonna touch it up and make it more eye-catching. I'm also using the standard AGS Save/Load template too for now until the game's finished - that's the last thing I'm gonna be doing though.

Your pal, Daz.

piraatlife4me

I just downloaded it and it looks pretty cool so far. I like the look of the main character and intro text animation. I will comment more when I get some extra time today to play it.
Daniel
Winebarger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk