Duzz Quest: An Egotistic Adventure (speech pack now released)

Started by Duzz, Wed 18/02/2004 23:40:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Duzz

Join Duzz in this glorified n00bie test game, as he goes on a fantastic journey of tragedy, adventure, and monotomy.
Duzz Quest is a once in a lifetime experience for all the family.
Huzzah for Duzz Quest. Yeah!

Download here. Ã,  (It's 16meg, sorry dialups)
The Speech Pack is ready now too, Get it at my website. It's 14 meg.
Features:
- One and a Half years in the making
- 16bit color
- Sometimes 320x240, sometimes 640x480 resolution.
- 12 characters
- 20 playable rooms
- An INTENSE action sequence
- 540 spoken lines of dialog (coming really soon)
- Original music by The Midnight Express, and Mr. Clean.
- Craptacular in every sense of the word

History/Explanation/Disclaimer:
Duzz Quest began as my AGS test game. I used a picture I had of my back yard, and put it in the program, making Roger walk around. I was all like "Cool! I can walk around my back yard, like those old sierra games I used to love", so I showed my friend Tim, and he was also all like "Cool! You can walk around your back yard, like those old sierra games you used to love", and it was coool.

So then I added some stuff to it, and then some more stuff, and it became DuzzQuest, and it was cool. People said I walked funny in it, but "Bah!" I said. "Humbug!" I said. "That's what they told picasso!" I said.
Still more things I added, and still more things, bits and pieces, odds and ends, one day a room, the next a plot element, sometimes deluding myself that it would be a decent, playable game, other times just experimenting with AGS. I added a lot of things just temporarily, but never did I remove any of them. And the result is a hodgepodge of meandering, aimless plot, nonsensical, gameplay, and schizophrenic graphic resolution.

There's a story (however banal), behind every little thing in DuzzQuest, from Bamptons Rescue Remedy to Tims terrible secret. I doubt anyone but me will understand all the references, but it is MY egotistic adventure after all.

Any bugs, typos or spelling errors you may encounter were left in intentionally to add to the general ambience of unprofessionalism, any lack in speech quality is the fault of stu's 21st party, and any offence taken at lewd verbalisations of the word kumquat rests entirely on the heads of Helen Clark and Katie Ward.
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

Totoro

Argh, I want to play your new game so much, but I cannot download it  :'(

Gilbert

Quote from: Duzz on Wed 18/02/2004 23:40:44
(It's 16meg, sorry dialups)

Hmmm I downloaded it and teh installer was just 4.3MB and it seems to be uncompressed correctly...

EDIT:
Ah well, seems that you just copied the links from your Grrr Bearly Sane page and had forgotten to change something. I had to cancel the autodownload and click the link in the "downloading" page to get the correct file.

Duzz

ah crap.  Well, it is a newbie game, so linking it to the wrong thing is kind of appropriate.

It's fixed now anyways.
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

Timosity

Cool Duzz, I remember playing the demo of this ages ago, I'll play it soon, it just took me 30 secs to d/l literally

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Played a little bit... and I just wanted you to know that the "mirrorimage" character in the first room can be interacted with even when the player is far away from the mirror and the mirrorimage isn't actually visible.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Nostradamus

Nice game!  I love the graphical style!  I like the style!

Spoiler
Can't find neither the wallet nor the key. Where are them?
[close]

Bionic Bill

For some reason this has been the only AGS game as of late I've been able/motivated to play through w/o any walkthrough help. Don't ask me why. Twas fun. Not a memorable aesthetic experience or anything, but I guess I was just in the right mood for the game.

Duzz

Nostradamus: glad you like the style (or lack thereof ;))
Spoiler
Talk to my sister again, she'll give you hints
[close]
Spoiler
the key is in the bush on the bottom left of the back yard screen
[close]

Pet Terry

Awesome, gonna download it during the weekend! :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Inkoddi

poop... the download's not working

Duzz

I think server at my uni where I host stuff must be down, or they might be changing stuff around or something.
Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it, unless someone wants to spot me some webspace.

EDIT: The server seems to be up again

Nostradamus

Spoiler
OK, I got PA4 but I can't find the other 2 ingredients. How do I get them?
[close]

BTW, I really liked the first song on the soundtrack, it had good rythem and all but the following two were mediocre in my opinion, just my two cents on what probably is your own band's music.

aicram

Spoiler
Go to Alan's house, he'll tell you where to get them.
[close]

Quote from: Nostradamus on Sat 21/02/2004 07:05:35
Spoiler
OK, I got PA4 but I can't find the other 2 ingredients. How do I get them?
[close]

BTW, I really liked the first song on the soundtrack, it had good rythem and all but the following two were mediocre in my opinion, just my two cents on what probably is your own band's music.

jason

Looking forward to playing, Duzz. Let us know when the speech pack is up. ;)

Duzz

I've got two characters to do the speech for (same status as 2 weeks ago =P) One of whom is coming over in an hour to record, the other I'm hoping i'll be able to get tonight, or tomorrow. I'll try and upload the speech pack as soon as it's ready.

Nostradamus:
Spoiler
Talk to chris, you need to find him a drink.
[close]
Spoiler
Go to the table at the party, and pick up a bottle, then use it on trent to fill it up and give it to chris.  
[close]
Spoiler
Talk to the bear, and then get some kumquats from alans front yard and give them to bearyl
[close]
Spoiler
Talk to lucy and gene at the party to find what the last ingredient is
[close]

EDIT: The speech pack is done, It contains some of the best voice acting ever heard!  Honest!

Get it here: http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~dlloyd/remote/speech.vox

EKM

Wooooooooooo!! I beat the game, very fun hahaha and I Love the music. There are a lot of funny scenes in it.

Spoiler
I thought Alan near the end when in the space ship appeared as a stickman was absolutely hilarious! Trent's water fountain mouth is equally funny and what in the world is Tim doing wearing that nurse outfit? lol...anyway, one of the most fun parts of the game is when you're able to play the drums when the band starts playing in front of Tim the werewolf.
[close]

Nostradamus

Spoiler

OK, I freed Bampton from the ropes, got the broom and the strange device, now what do I do?
[close]

Lazy Z

This game is friggin' hilarious! I've played quite a bit and found it very funny and refreshing. Though now that the speech pack is out, I'm gonna download that and then start playing again 'cuz it should be even more hilarious with it. :P Too bad it's gonna be a while since I'm on dial-up.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Pet Terry

Haha!

This game is so cool! The graphics work really well. Speech pack is excellent and I just love the music! Very nice :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk