background blitz - feb 19th to march 3rd

Started by plasticman, Thu 19/02/2004 19:33:26

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticman

hi folks, sorry for the delay. anyway...
i decided to stay in the spirit of the last blitz. the subject this time is : "a seedy hotel room"

whether it was in an 80's b-movie, a detective novel or during your summer vacation, you've most likely seen at least one of those before.
try to think of all the elements that could contribute to give an unpleasing atmosphere to your background : the decoration, furniture, lighting, etc etc...
the room should look uninviting above all, whatever style you go for.

the resolution must be either 320x200 or 320x240.
you can use as many colors as you need.
have fun :)

Privateer Puddin'

not as good as i wanted it to be  :-\

Mr_Frisby

Cool custard, Puddingman . . It's 6 day assasin right - but from the snipers point of view? (i be smort).
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

Mage

just a 15 minute background for you to get the idea of what i'm thinking of :)

EDIT:
omg this looks more crappy than i thought it looked... :(

remixor

Someone should submit a background of Antonio Banderas' hotel room from Four Rooms.

"BEHAVE!"
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

kaaZ

Good opportunity to mess around with a somewhat new style

hope to see some more entries...

cheers!

kaaZ
Pantomime players are the root of all evil.

Chicky

WHOA! kazz, how long did it take to draw that?

:P did you use a tablet?

-OVC

kaaZ

ovc : It took me about two nights...Since I was aiming for a different style, and not being sure where it was leading to, I should be able to do a next background in the same style in one night...there was a lot of trial and error in this specific background...
No tablet btw just a mouse and PS...

BerserkerTails

Remixor, it'd be hard to draw... The fire, the needle, the dead hooker... It's be hilarious though.
I make music.

MrColossal

"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Gilbert

heh eric, are you aware of teh fact that my co-workers were saying "The graphics in 6DA were CRAP!" ?

Scummbuddy

Eric, its beautiful, but the right side of the far wall is popping out over the border.(top).. .and are the boards in the hole in the wall on the left in the right perspective? (just curious)  I really like all the contributions to this blitz!
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

jduck007

I think it appears to "pop out" at the top because the trim is missing (which would normally cover that.) Unless I'm wrong and he really did make a boo-boo.

kaaZ

ooew...that's marvelous mrcolossal ! Did you do that from scratch or is it a paintover from the old background...Either way I dig this background....

MrColossal

it's a paintover.

the slats on the left aren't in perspective cause I saw them as randomly nailed up slats.

yea and the trim is missing where the wallpaper is torn, it looks a little weird but ohvell!

kaaz, i like your background better, i saw yours and decided to enter and i think it's marvelous
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

WanderLady

Rincewind

Ok - I feel I'm not really standing a chance against all these great, great, kickass entries from y'all, but what the heck, here goes... It was fun to do, anyway...

Darth Mandarb

plasticman

damn... i really like the entries so far, won't be easy to pick a favorite.

mr c, did you realise your (lovely) paintover doesn't fit the required size ?

MrColossal

woops forgot to resize it:

just as well though, i don't want to win and besides, Kazz's is awesome

and wanderlady, awesomely cool! i'm very much in love with the nontraditionality of it

loominous

I have to admit I forgot about the hotel part when I made this one (only remembered creepy room) but with some goodwill I guess it could be called:

Suite in Abandoned Hotel

x2

I have no idea where the light is coming from btw and the perspective is lacking. Was done very quickly; just wanted to get an entry in.

Looking for a writer

kaaZ

That sure is a creepy room loominous...walking into that room with that guy sitting over there would scare the hell out of me...I love your entry! Great work...

kaaZ

isn't this comp supposed to end...euh 2 days ago ?

plasticman

technically it ended 13 hours ago.
so yeah, start voting guys.

not sure yet which to choose, i'll throw my vote later.

MrColossal

tie between k.a.a.z. and wanderlady5000

i think i'll choose wanderlady for the great angle

i like how Darth just keeps taking images from his game and posting them, whoever wins should make the next blitz "Draw a background from Darth's game"

meanwhile all this time i thought that was a window on the right side of loominous' entry... i just realized it was a bureau... I am smrat!

Darth Mandarb

I vote for Wanderlady's.  It doesn't really look like a hotel room to me, but it's definately seedy and I like the Zelda top-down look.

Loominous' is just beautiful too, but doesn't look seedy (though creepy) nor like a hotel room (well ... maybe a REALLY expensive hotel!)

Quote from: MrColossal on Fri 05/03/2004 03:15:16i like how Darth just keeps taking images from his game and posting them, whoever wins should make the next blitz "Draw a background from Darth's game"
:'(  The last two were drawn just for the competitions.  They do use the style of my game I'll admit, but neither of them appear in my game.  (some elements I pulled in ... like the Jeep, but most are 100% just for the BG blitz.)

I'm sorry if that bothered anybody ... I certainly didn't mean to.

~ d

MrColossal

hehe

i don't care i was just commenting

as my man 50cent would say:

"I wouldn't rhyme about Rolleys if I had no watch
Wouldnt write about crack if I ain't had no spot"

i think that pretty much sums it up

loominous

Tough choice between Darth's n kaaz'.

Think kaaz' entry suffers somewhat from the same problem as mine (although in a much lower extent), in that it doesn't look much like a hotelroom.

Darth's on the other hand lacks the finesse of kaaz'.

So from a thematical point of view I vote for Darth's.
Looking for a writer

Minimi

I vote for Kaaz!

Actually I like MrColossal's better, but it already excisted as a background... and also, Kaaz is from Holland ;D

kaaZ

I have to choose between m.r. c.o.l.o.s.s.a.l. 's and loominous' while wanderlady's entry is pretty cool as well just as Darth's...hmmm...Think I'll go for mr. colossals entry....even though he doesn't want to win...;)

Hey minimi don't vote for me because I'm from holland, that's a lame reason ;))

Anywayz this turned out to be a pretty good blitz...

Cheers!

kaaZ

Rincewind

Hm, this is a tough decision, but I say Kaaz.

plasticman

let's see.

i like loominous' for the gloomy mood, but like it was said, it doesn't really match the chosen topic.

Mr Colossal's just doesn't look as uninviting as the other submissions (i wish i had the same wallpaper in my room by the way).

i like the angle and details on wanderlady's.

kaaz has a really nice style, but the pic feels somewhat unfinished to me.

in the end, i'm voting for DM's.
i can't say its quality beats every other entry, but i consider it the best rendition of the subject "seedy hotel room".

we'll have to give this a few more hours and hope for more votes...

Chicky

loominou's rocks, so i vote for loominous... yup its great

but i really like the other entries, especially darths, which is obviously 100% original. Well if you've played JP and Cosmo that is.

wel done

-OSC

WanderLady

QuoteIt doesn't really look like a hotel room to me...
True, *chuckle*,  I realized that when I was finished.  :-\

Everyone's background has something good in it, making it hard to choose. Custard's is mysterious. I felt the windows were my eyes and imagined this whole zooming-in thingy :P.
I like Mage's messiness. Kaaz' gave me some interesting thoughts with the balloon/blood combination. Eric's had great colors. The, though they be few, details - hand prints, stains - in Rincewind's are awesome. I would love to see what loominous could do if he takes his time!
But the vote goes to Darth. His has the seediness, and creepy B-movieness. But Darth, how do I get in there, man? :)

Darth Mandarb

QuoteBut Darth, how do I get in there, man?
Hehe!  I noticed that as I was developing it.  The door is supposed to be on the front wall (in front of the Jeep next to the window) but with that perspective used it's hard to make that obvious and I didn't want to make the door sitting open soo ....  it's a mystery room!

Or I could just say, "Because it's such a 'seedy' hotel there is no front door!" ;)

Thanks for the vote!

~ d

plasticman

ok, i think we've given this epic blitz more than enough time.

if i can still count properly, darth mandarb wins by a short hand, closely followed by wanderlady and kaaz.
congratulations, young fellow !

Darth Mandarb

Woohoo!!

Good blitz this time around!

I'll start the next one ASAP.

~ d

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk