SouthCoast City — In Production

Started by TerranRich, Wed 11/05/2005 05:39:44

Previous topic - Next topic

TerranRich

Now Announcing my new project!

(Click on image to visit web site.)

Story: You play Jack Randall (tentative name), a man who's lost everything. A man who must now start from scratch in a city he knows nothing about. As Jack, you've been dumped on the streets of SouthCoast City, and left for dead. After spending the last of your cash at the hospital, healing your injuries, you're broke and only manage to find a place to sleep through pure luck. In this city, you have to start fresh. You need to rebuild your life and get to know the city and its inhabitants.

Background: SouthCoast City is named after the region in which I live: the South Coast region, which covers half a dozen cities in the southeastern portion of Massachusetts between Cape Cod and Rhode Island. I'm modeling many buildings and features of the cities after cities in my area, including landmarks and places of business.

What's It All About? Well, think of SCC as a cross between Grand Theft Auto, an RPG, and a Sim game, all wrapped up into a nice little package that plays exactly like an adventure game. Basically, you have Stats such as those found in an RPG (Health, Energy, etc.) as well as Stats that you must attend to, such as Intelligence, Strength, and Appeal. A little bit into the game, you start being sent on missions, at first for others, and then for yourself and your friends. You can hold a job or two...or three. You can eventually own the business you work for. You can also do other things for money, such as drug dealing, pick-pocketing, and pimping. As you progress the story, farther areas of the Outer Cities become accessible and new features are unlocked. But those are a surprise. ;)

What Have I Got to Show?

How about a small demo of the opening credits from the game? It's only a starting point. I will add other features, such as the background moving behind the scratched-out parts of the images. But that's a minor point right now.

Screenshots:

I only have an image of how the Status GUI will appear in the game. Keep in mind that the background used is simply a photograph and does not reflect the style that I will use for the game:

Progress:
Story: 30%
Dialog: 3%
Puzzles: 20%
Gameplay: 0%

Overall progress: 1%

I'm just starting this game, so don't expect much for another few months. :)

Redwall

I suppose the logo intentionally looks exactly like the GTA:VC's?
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

pslocum

Since the game's based on GTA, yeah.

EDIT: Is inspired by, rather.

Domino

Opening credits were nice. Keep working on this project as i am looking forward to playing it when it's released.

At least for this game, i won't have to spend an hour in line at EBGames to get it.  :)

TerranRich

It's not really based on GTA. It has its story, characters, etc. It was inspired by GTA, though, sure. :P

And that logo isn't final. It was just something I pulled out of my ass. When I have time, I'll do an original logo for the game. :)

Al_Ninio

Oh the things Rich pulls out of his ass...

Can't wait to see some non-mockup screenies.

PsychicHeart

You gonna have any cheats for it?
I for one remember GTA games have thousands of cheats.
I'd probably prefer a 'Change Character' or 'Change Clothes' cheat.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Sam.

rich, i know you know this, but, forum rules?
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Chicky

That was what i thought, but then i played the demo that he provided. Which show's that he has made a good amount of progress on the game.

Sam.

but, all the demo was was a couple of photographs that have been painted over and some fancy writing, fading through some rooms in AGS. i'm going to stop pretending to be a mod now and be quiet.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Ishmael

Nice start :) Get something done so I can drool over it in hopes to play it tomorrow, and so darth won't be puttin' 'em things back into your ass :=
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

TerranRich

Zooty: I know, I kinda bent the rules a bit, but I really wanted for people to know all about this game. I'll put up some character images soon, so as not to keep bending the rules. :)

PsychicHeart

Rich, you are the master of understatement.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Mozesh

Ive played the small demo, looks good man.
Remind me alot of the GTA Vice City intro  :)
Keep it up! ;D

Scummbuddy

apparently this demo was widely popular/downloaded, as it has destroyed his service. no pics, not Beginners FAQ. Oh boy... let the flood of questions commence.  ;)
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

TerranRich

Fock. I knew this would happen. I'm gonna find some free web hosting to use until June, when my bandwidth resets.  :-[

Ishmael

I can host the few files, if all else fails...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

TerranRich

I think I've got it handled...my new free hosting doens't like hotlinking, so I usd ImageShack for the screenshots and logo. Until June, I won't be able to access my site. It went way over its bandwdth :-\

Phemar

Somebody pinch mah! This looks hot spankinly damn gewd!

But ... if 5 megs is 1% ... How big's the game gonna be? 500megs?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk