AGS 2.61 Pre-final Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sat 28/02/2004 23:04:11

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 22/03/2004 09:46:13
If it's not too much trouble I have two small feature requests.

See what happens when you just say "yadda, yadda", CJ... people start posting feature requests here if you don't tell them not to!
I'd like to be able to set a background picture for a GUI slider, or at least change the color of its border (which now is always white and gray lines)

You mean like CJ just added in beta 3?

Also, it would be nice if you could set a background picture for a textbox GUI. This picture would have to be clipped or tiled to fit the textbox size.

You mean like if you set the background picture of the GUI?

It appears that MoveToWalkableArea (EGO) doesn't work if EGO's coordinates are outside the screen. I have a script that moves EGO outside the screen when leaving a room (i.e. MoveCharacterStraight (EGO, 330, 100, 1); ) so this happens at times.

Gilbert: isn't the point of MoveToWalkableArea that you're NOT on a walkable area?

Radiant

Gilbot -> the point (330,100) is outside the room bg. I'm assuming it's unwalkable, yes.

SSH -> okay, point taken. I'll shut up now.

Pumaman

QuoteI'd like to be able to set a background picture for a GUI slider, or at least change the color of its border (which now is always white and gray lines)

Also, it would be nice if you could set a background picture for a textbox GUI. This picture would have to be clipped or tiled to fit the textbox size.

As SSH says, these are already implemented. If you're having trouble with them, feel free to ask for help.

QuoteIt appears that MoveToWalkableArea (EGO) doesn't work if EGO's coordinates are outside the screen. I have a script that moves EGO outside the screen when leaving a room (i.e. MoveCharacterStraight (EGO, 330, 100, 1); ) so this happens at times.

Well spotted - this is a bug, I'll get it fixed.

Spyros

A nice beta 3 version with a nice rep exec alw function !!!
Thanks CJ

edmundito

Oh, wow, with repeatedly_execute_always I can finally do smart scrolling a lot more clean without having a bunch of scripts that make the scroll wait to finish.

Also, that preview view thing is really nice. is there any way that it would ignore the transparent background while it previews the view (or at least make the rest of the background the transparent background color) so that we can see the animations a lot better :P
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Radiant

Okay some more bug reports. All of these are of little importance but I just thought I'd mention them.

- the editor hot keys (^G and ^T for instance) don't work as long as the GUI information window is active (i.e. has its title bar blue)

- when displaying speech as 'sierra style with background', the text is displayed with a shadow / outline, even if it's on the textbox GUI. Kind of looks weird. However, this can be worked around by using a font without outline, or setting text_shadow_color to whatever your GUI background is.

- when loading a font file, AGS will (apparently) keep that file open, or at least locked, until AGS is quit. This means that it is not possible to rename or delete the file until AGS quits.

- reverting to default fonts does not remove all .WFN files from your directory (apparently it does remove some of them)

- dragging a GUI object does not update that object's X and Y positions as shown on the popup window, until you click on the GUI object once more

- when the 'write text backwards / hebrew' flag is set, text on GUI buttons is still written forwards. Labels are written backwards as they should. Also, I'm not really familiar with hebrew, but shouldn't numbers (1234) still be written forward?

- when 'handling inventory clicks in script' is on, the function on_mouse_click is not called when I click on a part of the inventory GUI that doesn't have a button, nor when I click on part of the inventory box that doesn't show an item. (however on_event does get called with GUI_MDOWN, which evades the problem)

- it would be nice if the value for 'lock GUI items in place' (and similar things) were stored in Editor.Dat so that they are kept for the next session

I'm right now downloading the newest beta so my apologies if any of the above are already fixed, but I did read the changelog at the beginning of this thread and didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

By the way I have a two-room demo game that works fine, except it crashes nastily if 1) I compile it in DOS rather than windows, or 2) I set speech to 'qfg4 full screen' (neither of which I actually need but it just came up when I was fiddling around). Would you like me to send it to you for checking?

Fekix

ok, this is really an unimportant bug:

if you use the empty game template and go to the predifined view number 2 and press the preview view button the editor crashes.
Currently working on: My Little Real Life Adventure

Pumaman

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 23/03/2004 15:08:10
- the editor hot keys (^G and ^T for instance) don't work as long as the GUI information window is active (i.e. has its title bar blue)

Thanks for the report - not a lot I can do about this one though (well, not one that's worth the time to implement).

- when displaying speech as 'sierra style with background', the text is displayed with a shadow / outline, even if it's on the textbox GUI. Kind of looks weird. However, this can be worked around by using a font without outline, or setting text_shadow_color to whatever your GUI background is.

Well, it uses the Speech Font. In a Sierra-style game, this allows you to use a different font for speech boxes to normal narrator message boxes. You can always use SetSpeechFont(0); to make it use the normal font.

Quote- when loading a font file, AGS will (apparently) keep that file open, or at least locked, until AGS is quit. This means that it is not possible to rename or delete the file until AGS quits.

Bit of an odd one, I can't see why it would do that - but not too important as you say.

- reverting to default fonts does not remove all .WFN files from your directory (apparently it does remove some of them)

Hmm strange, it does seem to work for me. I'll test further.

- dragging a GUI object does not update that object's X and Y positions as shown on the popup window, until you click on the GUI object once more

Good point, I'll get it fixed.

Quote- when the 'write text backwards / hebrew' flag is set, text on GUI buttons is still written forwards. Labels are written backwards as they should. Also, I'm not really familiar with hebrew, but shouldn't numbers (1234) still be written forward?

Good point about the GUI buttons, I'll fix it. As for numbers, I really don't know, but I haven't had any complaints about it so far.

- when 'handling inventory clicks in script' is on, the function on_mouse_click is not called when I click on a part of the inventory GUI that doesn't have a button, nor when I click on part of the inventory box that doesn't show an item. (however on_event does get called with GUI_MDOWN, which evades the problem)

This is by design. GUI_MDOWN should probably be more obvious in the manual though.

- it would be nice if the value for 'lock GUI items in place' (and similar things) were stored in Editor.Dat so that they are kept for the next session

I guess this could be added as an option, yes.

QuoteBy the way I have a two-room demo game that works fine, except it crashes nastily if 1) I compile it in DOS rather than windows

The DOS engine is unstable on Windows 2000 and XP - it's likely just that which is the problem.

QuoteI set speech to 'qfg4 full screen' (neither of which I actually need but it just came up when I was fiddling around).

Well spotted, QFG4-style speech no longer works. Heh, I'm surprised nobody has noticed that, I guess no-one is actually using it at the moment ;) I'll get it fixed.

Quoteif you use the empty game template and go to the predifined view number 2 and press the preview view button the editor crashes.

Oooh nasty - thanks, I'll fix it.

Radiant

Okay another bunch of tiny bugs. Hope this doesn't bother you. Again most of them are not very important, but a couple actually are this time. And thanks for the efforts put into the new beta, esp. repeatedly_exec_always.

- adding a background graphic to a slider doesn't seem to work well. If I add one the exact size of the control, it doesn't appear. If I add a (much) smaller one, it is tiled but starts roughly ten pixels to the left of the actual control. If I use a blue cup or similarly sized image, I don't get a screenful of blue cups, I get only a couple and they're spaced five to ten pixels apart. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

- the image offset for slider controls works fine while viewing a GUI from the editor; however in the game the offset works from the center of the slider rather than its left edge. Can be worked around easily of course, but slightly confusing.

- maybe the background image for a textbox GUI should be tiled, just as one for a slider control? After all you never know how large it's going to be. Currently I have a 320x200 image just to make sure.

- would it be possible to add a background pic for the topbar in DisplayTopBar?

- currently the global (and local) messages are encrypted by the engine, but the strings used within scripts are not. I tend to put most of the information in scripts so if it isn't too much trouble I'd really appreciate encryption there, too.

- the character view preview is cool. However, when I check 'skip frame 0', the preview does pause for a short while whenever frame 0 would have been displayed.

- in the character view preview, the sprites are drawn without transparency, thus gaining a permanent pink border.

- when searching the help file, most tutorial pages ('getting started with ags, part X') have no title and are thus displayed as 'nameless' in the search result listing.

- Search function in the text editor always starts at the beginning of the script, rather than current cursor location

- Pressing ^G then ^Z in the text editor displays a 'BEL' character. Of course that's not important, just a bit weird.

- Pressing ^T in the text editor swaps the current line with the previous. Also not important at all but I was wondering if this was intentional, and if so, for what.

- FaceCharacter (EGO, EGO) always turns EGO to the left. For that matter, so does FaceLocation if EGO is standing on that location.

- repeatedly_execute_always does not execute when text is being Displayed, but will execute during a DisplaySpeech. However, in the latter case, IsGUIOn(MY_TEXTBOX_GUI) doesn't detect the presence of the textbox used during speech. In other words, how do I detect if speech is active?

- it could be me but it seems that the generated executable suddenly is a lot larger. Upon inspection it was found to contain a number of help texts for the scripting editor (?) and a whole range of names for extended ASCII characters. My ac2game.ags file is still roughly 900 kb, but the executable has leapt up to 2 Mb. Again, not really important.

Thanks for your time!

strazer

At this opportunity I want to remind about

Quote* mouseover GUI button pics shouldn't display while game is in Wait state

:)

Cisco84

i would find very useful if it is possible to open more than one scripting window at the same time....

just an idea

cisco

Cisco84

i forgot this:
is it possible to add a tab on the left "global vars" to easily acces them?

thx

Cisco

Gilbert

You know, as a registered member you can actually edit your own post and add things to it.

Pumaman

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 24/03/2004 11:45:22
- adding a background graphic to a slider doesn't seem to work well. If I add one the exact size of the control, it doesn't appear.

You might need to increase the height of the slider by 1 or 2 pixels in order to get it to show. I'll change this so that it always draws at least one of the image.

QuoteIf I add a (much) smaller one, it is tiled but starts roughly ten pixels to the left of the actual control.

The image is horizontally centred within the slider. Check that you haven't got transparent empty space on the right of the image.

QuoteIf I use a blue cup or similarly sized image, I don't get a screenful of blue cups, I get only a couple and they're spaced five to ten pixels apart.

I haven't been able to replicate this. What game resolution are you using?

Quote- the image offset for slider controls works fine while viewing a GUI from the editor; however in the game the offset works from the center of the slider rather than its left edge. Can be worked around easily of course, but slightly confusing.

I don't know what you mean here - the offset simply adds a fixed amount to the X co-ordinate of the handle. It has the same effect in the editor and engine.

- maybe the background image for a textbox GUI should be tiled, just as one for a slider control? After all you never know how large it's going to be. Currently I have a 320x200 image just to make sure.

That would be possible, yeah. Standard practice as you say is just to import a large enough image that it won't be a problem.

Quote- would it be possible to add a background pic for the topbar in DisplayTopBar?

It would, I'll add it to my list.

- currently the global (and local) messages are encrypted by the engine, but the strings used within scripts are not. I tend to put most of the information in scripts so if it isn't too much trouble I'd really appreciate encryption there, too.

This is more complicated due to the way the scripting engine works, but I'll make sure it's on my list so I get round to it at some point.

- the character view preview is cool. However, when I check 'skip frame 0', the preview does pause for a short while whenever frame 0 would have been displayed.

I can't replicate this problem, the animation flows smoothly for me. Does it only happen with specific views or loops?

- in the character view preview, the sprites are drawn without transparency, thus gaining a permanent pink border.

Indeed, I never really thought of this as a problem. However, netmonkey has also requested that this be changed, so I'll do so.

- when searching the help file, most tutorial pages ('getting started with ags, part X') have no title and are thus displayed as 'nameless' in the search result listing.

Yeah this is a bit messy, it's to do with the way that I generate the help file. It would be more trouble than it's worth to fix, though I appreciate it's a bit unfriendly.

- Search function in the text editor always starts at the beginning of the script, rather than current cursor location

Again, this isn't something I'd consider as a bug; more just how it works. An option in the Find dialog to "start search from top" or something could be useful though, good point.

- Pressing ^G then ^Z in the text editor displays a 'BEL' character. Of course that's not important, just a bit weird.
- Pressing ^T in the text editor swaps the current line with the previous. Also not important at all but I was wondering if this was intentional, and if so, for what.

The script editor uses an external text editor component - these features are built into it. See http://www.scintilla.org for other key combinations that it might support.

- FaceCharacter (EGO, EGO) always turns EGO to the left. For that matter, so does FaceLocation if EGO is standing on that location.

Hehe I guess it should really leave the direction unchanged if you do this. Quite why you would use  FaceCharacter(EGO, EGO); is beyond me though :P

- repeatedly_execute_always does not execute when text is being Displayed, but will execute during a DisplaySpeech. However, in the latter case, IsGUIOn(MY_TEXTBOX_GUI) doesn't detect the presence of the textbox used during speech. In other words, how do I detect if speech is active?

You can use the IsInterfaceEnabled function to detect whether the game is currently in a Blocked state (which includes speech).

The reason that repeatedly_execute_always does not run during a Display is because the game is totally paused - no game cycles are executing. With speech however, the game continues to run in the background (and therefore so does repeatedly_execute_always).

- it could be me but it seems that the generated executable suddenly is a lot larger. Upon inspection it was found to contain a number of help texts for the scripting editor (?) and a whole range of names for extended ASCII characters. My ac2game.ags file is still roughly 900 kb, but the executable has leapt up to 2 Mb. Again, not really important.

Beta versions of the engine are larger, because they don't have all the debug code stripped out, and aren't compressed.

Thanks for your detailed input :)

Anyway, sorry guys, but can we please stop this turning into a big request thread. This thread is supposed to be for discussion of, and bug reports in, the beta.

Kweepa

Sorry about my feature requests earlier...

Ok, here's a bug report.
261b3 - I've got 8.00Gb free (8,591,187,968 bytes according to the command prompt) and when I press Crtl-T a dialog pops up saying

"There is less than 1 MB free on your disk. [Scary warning...] Do you want to continue?"

Rebooting didn't help.

I opened up 2.56 but it didn't happen there.

(I notice that my free disk space is > 1Mb above exactly 8Gb - it's 8Gb + 1253376 bytes - so my plan to track down the problem failed. Anyway, I think I'll just backup the game and continue.)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

j-Hed

Is the anti-aliasing feature (anti-aliasing when scaling) going to work with *.PNG's soon?

I remember you told me it was on your to-do list CJ. ;)

Anyway thanks for another great new version :D

Pumaman

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 27/03/2004 12:33:33
Ok, here's a bug report.
261b3 - I've got 8.00Gb free (8,591,187,968 bytes according to the command prompt) and when I press Crtl-T a dialog pops up saying
"There is less than 1 MB free on your disk. [Scary warning...] Do you want to continue?"

Sorry about this, I'm going to remove the check for the next version. Theres a bug in the Windows API which returns the free space wrongly, so I'll just take the free space check out.

Vel

Great update, CJ!
Something that has probably been asked before, but I will inquire about nevertheless. How about the wait command to disable the mouse, not just hide it if the wiat cursor is blank?

edmundito

why would you want that, vel?  ???
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Radiant

Wow, another quick update! Cool!

Quote from: Pumaman on Fri 26/03/2004 17:47:57
Quote from: Radiant on Wed 24/03/2004 11:45:22

QuoteIf I use a blue cup or similarly sized image, I don't get a screenful of blue cups, I get only a couple and they're spaced five to ten pixels apart.
I haven't been able to replicate this. What game resolution are you using?
320x200. My point is that AGS seems to put a certain border between any two instances of the background image. So you get (cup)(space)(cup) instead of (cup)(cup)

Quote- the image offset for slider controls works fine while viewing a GUI from the editor; however in the game the offset works from the center of the slider rather than its left edge. Can be worked around easily of course, but slightly confusing.
I don't know what you mean here - the offset simply adds a fixed amount to the X co-ordinate of the handle. It has the same effect in the editor and engine.
Strange. Whichever way I set a GUI slider image in the editor, it appears roughly ten pixels more to the left within the game itself. So I have to put it too far to the right in the editor to make it appear correctly in the game.

Hehe I guess it should really leave the direction unchanged if you do this. Quite why you would use  FaceCharacter(EGO, EGO); is beyond me though :P
I was testing the unhandled_event() function, and coded it so that whenever you click on a character, EGO turns to face that character. So if you click on EGO himself...

Oh and one more detail I noticed. When I set a character's speed to zero, the game crashes. I figured it would have been a nice way of stopping that character from moving, and am now using another workaround.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk