AGS 2.61 Pre-final Edition

Started by Pumaman, Sat 28/02/2004 23:04:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Quote from: Snake on Mon 17/05/2004 03:22:11
I've got a GUI with a label that displays text messeges. It's quite simple really. But for some reason when I updated to this version, the text doesn't show up, yet I never messed with any code. I updated then immediately tested the game.

Is the label definitely big enough to hold the text? I think there's been a change in how it deals with text in a label if the label is too small (in order to constrain the text within the label boundaries).

strazer

The new system.viewport_height variable returns non-letterbox values only when used in the game_start function.
In fact, SetGUIPosition doesn't work beyond the non-letterbox area either.

Isn't the screen fully initialized when the game_start function runs?

Snake

I changed it to the size of the GUI width(320) height(42). I only changed it by a couple pixels, before it was 318/40. The text still doesn't show up. The GUI is located at (0,199).

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Gilbert

Hmmm did you check the colour of the text?

Pumaman

Quote from: strazer on Tue 18/05/2004 01:52:49
The new system.viewport_height variable returns non-letterbox values only when used in the game_start function.
In fact, SetGUIPosition doesn't work beyond the non-letterbox area either.

If a 320x200/640x400 game is running in letter-box mode, the viewport is still that size. Since you cannot write anything to the letterbox area, it doesn't count as part of the viewport.

QuoteI changed it to the size of the GUI width(320) height(42). I only changed it by a couple pixels, before it was 318/40. The text still doesn't show up. The GUI is located at (0,199).

Does the text show up in the editor, but just not in the game? Is the game small enough to upload for us to take a look?

strazer

QuoteIf a 320x200/640x400 game is running in letter-box mode, the viewport is still that size. Since you cannot write anything to the letterbox area, it doesn't count as part of the viewport.

I'm sorry, I may have said it wrong. For some reason I thought 640x480 is 640x400 in letterbox mode.
This happens in my 640x480 game!

Scorpiorus

Yeah, for 640x480 game the system.viewport_height variable returns 200 if checked within the game_start function. And yep, it does return 240 after the room has been loaded.

I also noticed that mouse over hotspot interaction isn't triggered for hotspot 0 (no hotspot). It works fine with 2.6 SP1.

EDIT: to correct 200/240

Pumaman

QuoteI'm sorry, I may have said it wrong. For some reason I thought 640x480 is 640x400 in letterbox mode.

Ah yes, this will happen in game_start. Because 640x400-letterboxed and 640x480 are the same mode, it's not until a room is loaded that the current viewport size is known.

QuoteI also noticed that mouse over hotspot interaction isn't triggered for hotspot 0 (no hotspot). It works fine with 2.6 SP1.

Are you sure this worked in 2.6? As far as I can see, the related code hasn't changed since then.

Scorpiorus

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 19/05/2004 22:05:18
QuoteI also noticed that mouse over hotspot interaction isn't triggered for hotspot 0 (no hotspot). It works fine with 2.6 SP1.
Are you sure this worked in 2.6? As far as I can see, the related code hasn't changed since then.
Yes. I've just rechecked it by making a game with 2.6sp1 and then testing it with 2.61prefinal. The last doesn't call move mouse over hotspot 0 event function. I looked into changelist and noticed that in the current version there is a bug was fixed:Ã, 
- Fixed "Mouse moves over hotspot" running even if the mouse was
Ã,  Ã, actually moving over a GUI on top of the hotspot.

Could it be somehow related?

Pumaman

Ahhh you're right, thanks - I added a GetLocationType call so it only runs Mouse Moves Over HOtspot if it returns 1.

I'll get it fixed - is this a serious enough problem for anyone that 2.61 should be delayed to fix it?

Snake

Gilb: Yeah I checked, it's still light grey over black  8)

QuoteDoes the text show up in the editor, but just not in the game?
Correct. I've got the label displaying all my messeges.
For example, this is all that I'm doing:
SetLabelText(2,0,"-Another silence blankets over them-");
The only thing that's different from 2.56.413 is the z-order option that is added. Other than that everything is exactly the same. I didn't change anything, just loaded it up and tested.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Pumaman

Is the game small enough to upload for us to take a look?

Scorpiorus

Quote from: Pumaman on Wed 19/05/2004 22:05:18
QuoteI'm sorry, I may have said it wrong. For some reason I thought 640x480 is 640x400 in letterbox mode.

Ah yes, this will happen in game_start. Because 640x400-letterboxed and 640x480 are the same mode, it's not until a room is loaded that the current viewport size is known.
By the way, does it also mean that the CentreGUI() function may do not align GUI's y-coordinate if the function is called from within the game_start() event?

Pumaman

Quite possibly, yes. To be safe, put that sort of code in the Player Enters Screen for the first room.

SSH

Is this why the preload screen always displays in letter box, even though the game is 640x480? But if setup can workout the resolution of the game, why can't the game itself?

MrColossal

hey CJ, dunno if you got my message about this but repeatedly_execute_always doesn't repeatedly execute always

as in during dialogs it stops. Is this on purpose or impossible to change?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

edmundito

repeatedly_execute_always is missing from the Script menu in the editor, so when I click on repeatedly_execute it goes to repeatedly_execute_always because I added that to the top of my script!  :o
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

strazer

When you animate a character with a non-repeating animation, then leave the room while the animation is running, then re-enter the room, the animation is restarted from the beginning.
Is this intended?

When I tried to see if the same happens with objects (it does not!), it resulted in:

An exception 0xC0000005 occured in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0042A0D8 ; program pointer is -42, ACI version 2.61.745, gtags (2039,18)

All I did was

SetObjectView(0, 2); // <- Fatal exception
  AnimateObject(0, 0, 10, 0);

If I use SetObjectView(0, 1) it works fine. Am I missing something?

Check out this demo for both problems.

Scorpiorus

Regarding to characters, I believe that was all the time. If I remember it right, the engine restarts the current loop rather than the whole animation (when animation consists of several loops). I don't know if it is intentional but I'd like it to behave that way rather than stop the animation. On the other hand, making it continue animation from the exact frame it was left at on leaving the room could be a good idea. But then again someone's script may be relied on restarting the loop.

strazer

Quotemaking it continue animation from the exact frame it was left at on leaving the room could be a good idea.

Agreed. Especially since it works this way for objects.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk