Monthly Writing Project: March

Started by LGM, Mon 01/03/2004 23:35:11

Previous topic - Next topic

LGM

Okay, so here it is. The Monthly Writing Project (Anyone who wants to think up a cool acronym will be my hero)

Basically, it will be much like the MAGS comptetition. Except, instead of making a game in AGS, you'll be writing a short story. Now, to avoid confusion.. You will not writing a game. You will be writing a short story just like you would find in a collection or in a magazine. There also won't be any voting or any winners. The project will start the first of every month. You will have exactly 25 days (till the 25th) to write and complete a short story based off the topic or theme that will be given each month.

DEADLINES WILL ALWAYS BE THE 25th OF THE MONTH!

Once the deadline is reached, the submissions will be emailed to me. DO NOT UPLOAD THEM. Please send them to this email address: writing_project@fbc-bettendorf.com

If all goes well, the stories will be uploaded to my server. If there is good response to the first competition, I will create a site to list all the stories written through the course of the project.

Stories should be from 2-10 pages in length. Paragraph, sentence, or one word submissions will be deleted. 1 page is acceptable, but not reccomended. Please use a standard font (Times New Roman, Arial, Georgia, etc.) and single spaced.

Understandable?

Okay.. So, let's get this party started. The topic (randomly generated) for the month of March:

Setting: Alternate Reality
Theme: Reality-is-a-dream/Drama story
Elements: During the story, there is a dramatic revelation. A character will send a package. There has to be a female with a physical disability. One character must be named Ben Kroden. Any type of office supply (Paperclip, pen, pencil, post-it, etc.) must be a crucial part of the story.

Alright.. I know it's not very good topic.. But let's see what we can come up with.

Good Luck!  
You. Me. Denny's.

Evil

I'm in. Just be sure to bitch at me on instant messanger about it because I will most likely forget. Its a good idea, maybe have subtexts (Ie: breifs for game play or puzles in the side margnes). Maybe it would help to get more of a visual of gameplay, or maybe write it more like a movie script?

LGM

I think you're missing the point.. This isn't for a game.. This is just for a short fiction story.
You. Me. Denny's.

Evil

"Basically, it will be much like the MAGS comptetition. Except, instead of making a game in AGS, you'll be writing a short story"

I thought it was in reference to game plots. Like what it would be if it was a game cutscene or movie. We are here to make games you know, but I'm not going to discourage personal writing.

Migs

Perhaps that would be a good idea.  Instead of just writing short stories, we should write stories adapted for an adventure game, perhaps even organized into a screenplay with dialogue options and such.
This signature intentionally left blank.

LGM

Well.. That would be a different competition..

I want to support the growth of creative writing.. Harry, you can start the script idea if you want.. But I want short stories here.

Sorry for the confusion.. Initial post is now updated to avoid any further misunderstanding.

And yes.. AGS is to make games.. But the whole forum doesn't have to be about.. Are the MSPaint or Pixel Jam game oriented? no.. Why else would we have the general forums? :-p

You. Me. Denny's.

Evil

Heh, I was just a little confused. But along with Migs, I think it either way it sounds fun.

Minimi

Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Mon 01/03/2004 23:35:11
You will not wrtiting a game.

what is wrtiting? I don't understand  ::)

Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Mon 01/03/2004 23:35:11
Setting: Alternate Reality
Theme: Reality-is-a-dream/Drama story
Element: During the story, there is a dramatic revelation. A character will send a package.
Could you explain this further, please? What do you excactly mean with Alternate Reality, and Reality-is-a-dream??? WTF?? Real is real, right? are you paranoid or something? Go read http://www.johntitor.com !

Bluke4x4

I awake. The sounds of birds chirping, the smell of fresh dew, it dampens my heart, freezes my soul. Yet I get up. I slowly yawn, scratch my buttocks. I walk to the window and shut it, annoyed by the fact I haven't gotten enough money to buy a manservant to do my work as I slumber. No sound, the 'empty' sound, it brings a small smirk to my face. The alarm clock radio rings, startling me and my subtleness, my happiness. "It's a beautiful day in Vera, Northsouthhamptonburg. " said the radio announcer, Rip Grudge. "Hey-ey-ey, what do you get when you cross a mailbox with an orange?" "I give up." said the female announcer, Sally Goodwell. "A hamster that lights up when you eat it." said Rip, and the 'live studio audience' laughed, while in the nightclub that is my mind, I heard a cricket chirp. Sally laughed. "That's pretty good, Rip." I glared at the clock radio. I then walked up to it, and threw it out the window, forgetting that I had just closed it. The window broke. Again more chirping, dew, and the neighbor was mowing. "I hate Mondays." I mumbled, and began to curl up in my covers on my bed. Suddenly a thought hit me, and this thought was the very thought that would change mankind and very well the universe, a dramatic revelation: I'm obviously the only sane man on Earth. Just to check, I looked out of the broken window. My neighbor, Marvin Hitowskiwits, was out in his lone boxers, mowing with his eyes blankly shut. Absentmindedly, he mowed straight into the fence countless times during this encounter of mine. He was sleep-mowing. Yep, I'm the only sane man here. Suddenly the doorbell rang. It was the postman, with a package in hand. He then left after leaving it on my doorstep. I picked it up, opened it. It was a watch. I had on one, so I placed it back and scribbled RETURN TO SENDER on the box. I placed on a jacket and some slippers. I began to walk to the mailbox. I had just put it in when I noticed two men in three piece suits walking to me. Soon it was three, and four, and five. I began to back away, then I turned and ran. The men were all the same. Like clones, they looked all the same. I was like some horrible movie, a horrible metaphor-filled movie. Men and women all around me, they were turning into this man. I fell in a desperate fit of horror. On the ground I noticed two pills, a red one and a blue one. My last meal, I thought, and gulped the red one. And I realized something. I am in a horrible movie, I thought. I looked up. I was in a black room, and credits were rolling above me. When they were over, they showed the title. I cried.

LGM

Very good, blue.. That's more of a poem..

Minimi: If I become any more specific, there wouldn't be any room for creativity.. The point is that you can take this in any direction you want..

Reality-is-a-dream.. I think that's pretty fair.. Just think Matrix.. The existance as the character knows it is false.. Could be someone elses dream, could be a simulated world.. I dunno.. Go crazy! Have fun
You. Me. Denny's.

Tarison

I like the idea of this comp, but I think the subject matter is very vague. It's akin to having a MAGS comp with "Make a game with rooms and a puzzle. There must be a character."

Evil

LGM

Okay.. Made it more specific.. Is that better? (dummies, check initial thread)
You. Me. Denny's.

Tarison

Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Tue 02/03/2004 21:15:33
Okay.. Made it more specific.. Is that better? (dummies, check initial thread)

Excellent! Much more in line with the spirit of MAGS and all that. I think I'll give it a go :)

Evil

LGM

Okay, good.. I expect thousands of entries!
You. Me. Denny's.

Peter Thomas

I LOVE THIS COMPETITION!!!!!!
YAYYY!!!

I was thinking about starting one of these competitions myself, but I wasn't sure what kind of reaction there would be, so I didn't say anything.

But now I owe my life to LGM for making my dreams come true. *sigh*. This makes me smile so much!

I shall get started right away

Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Peter Thomas

Incidentally, how many people have entered so far (or are 100% determined to enter)?

The double post is to give this thing a friendly bump.
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Evil

If LGM would stop hitting me in the hallway maybe I might.

AGA

Hitting on you, you mean surely?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk