Sam and Max 2 Cancelled! (Not Anymore)

Started by magintz, Wed 03/03/2004 19:13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

bigeshu

Crud Auhsor beat me to it. I agree though.

magintz

Just a general update of collective info.

As far as the matter goes all protesting and petitions against LEC did do something, they fired a whole bunch of people (bout 50 me thinks), but thats nothing to do with S&M. On other news LEC have also announced another star wars game *yay*.

Next we move on. As a lot of people know, and I believe this has been mentioned before the team responsible for S&M2 left or were made redundant from LEC and have moved on to bigger and brighter things in their new company "telltale", they havent announced anything as of yet, but they say that they are working on a "secret" project of something we all know and love. Could be S&M2?

Fingers still remain crossed, so lets hope for the best, but I'm sure we'll like whatever they conjure up.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Kweepa

From browsing google and visiting the homepage, it looks like telltale are working on significantly smaller games than those we know and love.
Eight employees, and they've already recorded voice for a project...
I'll be surprised if Sam and Max are involved.
It's probably something more like the CSI games - a TV property.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Ponch

According to The International House of Mojo (and the Bad Brains site) negotiations with LucasArts for the rights to Sam and Max 2 have failed.

That bites.

But maybe Purcell will let Bad Brains do something all-new with Max.

Here's hoping, anyway.

HillBilly

Why do LA keep the rights anyway? They don't seem to do anything productive with it!  >:(

This is like kidnapping.

Muttley

Quote from: Esseb on Wed 03/03/2004 19:28:51
Don't worry, they plan to release it in 1994.

Maybe its just me but I dont get this post as the time this thread was posted 1994 was 10 years ago. Correct me if im wrong..........

Privateer Puddin'

I think it was because the threads title is Sam and Max Cancelled! while Sam and Max was released in '94, and it was Sam and Max 2  that was cancelled :P

magintz

changing it now - happy?
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

magintz

In this month's issue of GamesTM Magazine I found a small article on Sam and Max 2.

QuoteMaxxed Out

Those of you hoping for the return of everyone's favourite freelance police, Sam and Max, following their cancellation by LucasArts last year can stop holding your breath - it looks like you're out of luck. Despite German developer Bad Brain Entertainment hinting that it was working with LucasArts to resurrect the canned title, things have come toa  close. "Negotiatons with LucasArts failed," said the developer. "We won't get Sam and Max 2 - not the code, the artwork or anything else."

:'(

HillBilly

What's Lucas Art's problem?? It's like when the bully in kindergarden keeps the coolest toy car to himself, only to not play with it. In fact, he'll just break it so none of the other kids can use it either.

Scummbuddy

its alright. I hate LucasArts too.... but we'll get our game eventually. Steve Purcell gets back the rights to his property in a few months, and then he can sell it to a team that actually cares to see the game get out on shelves. 

So much free publicity. Its a developers dream.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

jetxl

Does that include the S&M2 source code??

I personally bought it, but that's what Bad Brain wanted.

Scummbuddy

no. whatever company gets the liscense, they will have to start from scratch, unless lucasarts buys it back, but i doubt steve purcell will ever sell them anything anymore. he'd much rather see his creations, you know, used.

there is a conspiracy that bad brain knew they wouldnt get the code and art for sam and max 2, but syggested as close as they could, that they were. that, in turn made them look like the good guys even more when lucas forbid the selling of their code to anyone.

but when lucas cancelled for fear of losing money, they didnt realize the internet buzz they had generated. if they had said april fools, heres the game, i would have instantly forgave them, cause then they would have realized their mistake. 250000+ signatures * $30 bucks is a lot of money. (250000 * $50 = moola) but they didnt realize that they wouldnt of had to spend the half-million on advertising. people would have freely advertised for them through the web and word of mouth.

poor buisness-men
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

auhsor

Also just in case people missed it, Telltale - the company formed by a few members of the Sam & Max 2 team and others were rumoured to have aquired the licence for it, but that seems to not be true either. Check this thread for more details: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=19417.0

magintz

It's like lucasarts is the Deathstar, and Alderan is any Adventure game. And we, we are teh rebels, we are teh jedi who stand for truth. We just have to pilot a ship straight into their death star and take them down!!!!111 bwahahahahaha

Stee_notloggedin

Speaking of which, They're planning a new star wars film after this one (episode3), which is suppose to be episode 7, where luke skywalker goes to the dark side and then comes back to the jedi's again, apparently. I can't prove that though, someone will have to find the story on the net, i can't remember the link.

CoffeeBob

It seems to me (and probably to everyone else on this forum) that LucasArts have gone completly fecking loco. I mean, they threaten to sue almost every fangame creators they see, they promise sequels to good non-star wars games and then can them because "they won't sell". I mean, do we have to shove something up their arses and stick a gun in their mouths to make them understand that WE WANT ADVENTURE GAMES, FOR PETE'S SAKE!
Uhm... *ahem*... Excuse me, got a bit carried away there. :=
If I don't get Sam & Max 2, Full Throttle 2 or a new, GOOD Monkey Island-game before I die, I'm taking all the employees of LEC down with me into my grave. >:(

Scummbuddy

@stee not logged in:
where did you hear that? all i know is, is that Lucas wants to do TV now and no more movies, although I find that hard to believe. Plus, I would expect news like that to be posted in the star wars thread in the gengen forum, not in the sam and max thread.

@largo:
I'm fairly certain that someone will take the rains for a new Sam and Max game, so you can calm down that way, but you most likely wont see any more adventure games, especially of the kind of complexity and humor that we've come to love from old LucasArts, in todays LucasArts. No need to get the moltav cocktails ready, as new companies that know your plight have been created in the demise of the adventure section of LucasArts.
-Hoagie from DOTT

PsychicHeart

*blake curses LucasArts... 18 times
*blake yells
*blake calms down
*blake yells again
*blake finally calms down for real
*blake yells yet again
*blake is about to call LucasArts and give them a talking to when...
*AGHHH! Screaming monkey ninjas are attacking me!!!
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

lo_res_man

*lo_res_man beats off the monkeys with his Sword of Pixalis
*lo_res_man waps blake with the butt of his Sword
*lo_res_man wanders off muttering, "stupid posters..."
*lo_res_man relizes his post is just as stupid
*lo_res_man sits down and cries with head in hands
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk