~ The future of multiplayer adventure games ~

Started by Migs, Tue 16/03/2004 15:12:44

Previous topic - Next topic

lo_res_man

I don't know but shooters have been done in AGS. That doesn't make shooters adventure games.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

WarpZone

There was a Halflife 2 mod made at one point, The Ship.  It was basically a multiplayer murder mystery.  Wikipedia's article does a decent job of describing the gameplay.

There were no puzzles involved, but it had tons of "murder mystery" ambiance.  This was because there were hundreds of passengers milling about the ship, and you had no way of knowing which one of them was actually another player with you as their quarry.

The weapons you could use to "kill your quarry" were apparently hard to get ahold of, but I don't think it was a true adventure game.  More of a "search and destroy."  Anyone remember that old NES Spy VS Spy game?  Kinda like that, only multiplayer.

Patternjake

I think things like online adventure FPS like halo, or HL , Or even MMORGS really stretch mutliplayer in adventures.

However

For traditional click n point adventure games, theres a limit I think.
If im not coding, im msn. If im not msn, im gaming.

Timo.

Basically, it's 6 whole years since Migs said he would be trying this revolutionary idea out.
It's good, it will be a breakthrough, but till now, no documents, no demos, no nothing.

If anyone wants to make such a game, I hope a new post will be created. Not much constructive discussion can carry on here.
Smile :]

poc301

Uhm, why would you reply to a 6 year old thread saying how nobody should reply to a 6 year old thread?  The next oldest post is like 3 months old.

lol

-Bill

Chicky

I don't see any harm in bumping in the popular threads board. I'm sure someone, somewhere is working on something like this.

It would be an unbelievable amount of work but it would be amazing to have a free roam city filled with a set amount of puzzles and items for players to find, with a server storing all the data... and a realtime in game public transport system! No mindless killing and car theft though, please.

Servers could run until the final end game puzzle was completed, which in order to complete should require ten or so players with individual items (collected throughout previous server playtime).

If any hardcore programmers want an artist to give this a go with, give me a shout.

Goldfish

It's possible, easy in fact, to use the existing Legend of Green Dragon (earlier version if you don't like the new licence) and make a very similar type of game to an AGS adventure game. It's even possible to do the awareness of other player characters and their current state, etc.

Not a port of AGS, just duplicating all the same functions and instead of the many games using that engine or very similar but just displaying text, and there are legions of them, use graphics plus text, a la Facebook games, etc.

Unlike Facebook games though it is possible with eg LOGD to truly duplicate the functions of AGS, also on top of that dropping and picking up items can be put in natively- as in an inventory, indeed inventory of arrays not just single items, and so on, and also get the game to save by room or location what is plonked down there.
People including me rewrite basic modules constantly, eg there is a bank module which allows banking functions, and so one can adapt that to a general

if drop crap in room remember it's there and take it off character type thing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk