What was the first ags game you ever played?

Started by Squinky, Tue 16/03/2004 18:37:26

Previous topic - Next topic

ratracer

I think it was Calssoon. I remember emailing or messaging Chrille - he told me it was just a small game he did  in a rush, 2 or 7 days, I think - I was awed! I thought, this guy is an amazing genius to make an adventure game in a week or less - but that also tempted me enormously to give AGS a try... 

Spike4072

The Kings quest remakes. Cant remember If I played I or II first. I only found it because I couldn't play the originals anymore on my newer computer and was looking for a way to play them on Google. Then I found the remakes site in the search and they had a link to AGS on their site and here I am ;D

Jared

Hmm, from the amount of 5DAS references on this thread I'd say that Yahtzee deserves credit for publicising AGS to the masses.

Mine was either Larry Vales 2 (definitely the first I finished) or Rob Blanc 2. I've been a lurker for quite a while...

Heh, just remembering that I was around to see Yahtzee 'quit' making games. Twice. Before he actually made his best ones.

Vulcan Master

The first AGS game I played was 7 Days a Skeptic, I absolutely loved it and it rekindled my love for adventure games.

mrsix

Quote from: Vulcan Master on Sun 19/10/2008 04:19:13
The first AGS game I played was 7 Days a Skeptic, I absolutely loved it and it rekindled my love for adventure games.

Kings Quest 4, when I was about 4 or 5. Then my parents loved it, and bough the whole KQ back catalogue and Space Quest and Police Quest! I was in heaven!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Kings Quest 4 isn't an AGS game. 

Here are some AGS games for you to try, and then you can edit your post accordingly! :)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=digest

Also, please don't quote posts directly above you; it's unnecessary.

mrsix

Sorry, I misread the topic, I thought it was Adventure Game in general

Wonkyth

a Tale of Two Kingdoms for me, I spose you could call it love at first sight... ;D
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

AsimosVagan

About a month or two ago I was looking at some old floppies and cds and I found several adventures: The Dig, Full Throttle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Quest for Glory 1 thru 5, Loom, King´s Quest 5, Day of Tentacle and Gabriel Knight 1. I used to love such games!

So I turn to Almighty Google and ask "Oh Great One, please answer a question from your humble servant: What happened to the old point and click adventures?"

The answer was quick and to the point: "Answer your question I will. You must seek a small but bright community that always meet at adventuregamestudio.co.uk". I came here immediately and after a search, I pick the second game from the list (the rating was higher than the first): 

5 Days a Stranger

I loved it and  then I came back for more. Then I played 7 Days a Skeptic, Tilbry´s Notes, 6 Days a Sacrifice, all in just one day. After that I think I played 15 or more games and I am still downloading and playing a lot of great ags games. I am even considering the possibility of making one by myself!

Klyptomaniac

Quote from: AsimosVagan on Wed 17/12/2008 11:51:32
... 5 Days a Stranger...

Hey, that's the first one I played too! :D I really loved it too. Then I played 7 Days a Skeptic, and then I found 1213 and really liked that one too, despite being a platformer. It was really clever I think.

F1ak3r

Cirque de Zale, for me. It was on a magazine cover DVD. Then after that I played the King's Quest Remakes (also on a magazine cover DVD), and the Maniac Mansion one (which I Googled, because I was in need of some LucasArts to balance out my Sierra). And then I also played Enclosure.

Before that, I had played some free SCUMM VM games (Beneath A Steel Sky, Flight Of The Amazon Queen, various demos), and a copy of the original, EGA Police Quest I found on a stiffy disk lying around the house. Oh, and Lure Of The Temptress, which I never played much, due to it being rubbish.

Around this time a year ago I was referred to 5 Days A Stranger by a friend's review, and that's what really got me into playing AGS games. 5DAS branched out into the rest of Chzo Mythos, and then into the rest of Yahtzee's games, and then into Ben Jordan, and then, and then, and then.

I now have well over a hundred adventure games on my computer. Yay!
--

At the time I played it, Cirque De Zale really amazed me, or rather, its credits amazed me. I was astounded that one person could be so multitalented as to make pretty much the entire game by herself.

I was a bit annoyed by the length of the game, though, having been spoilt by epics like Beneath A Steel Sky and Flight Of The Amazon Queen.

Overall, though, I think Cirque De Zale has made me try to hone as many skills as I can. I program, I design, I write, I make sound effects, I pixel graphics (not terribly well, but I'm getting there), and should really start trying to make music.

Cirque De Zale also showed me that adventure games don't have to be 15 hours long in order to be enjoyable. =D

EKM

The first AGS game I played was 'The Trials of Odysseus Kent.' It's such a fun game. That and 'I Spy' and 'Vengeance of the Chicken.' I love RON games.

Goldie

Jesus said,"Take up your cross and follow me.You will be persecuted."/        I did.

Stumblebum

I believe that five days a stranger took my innocence as well.  It was painful at first, but then it started to feel really really good.   
Monkey Mind

Patternjake

Hmm cant remember exactly- I think one was Ben Jordan Case 3 and Mordy 2 : The Mirror Of truth.
If im not coding, im msn. If im not msn, im gaming.

Crimson Wizard

My very first game was Alien Time Zone. When I found AGS website I decided to download some really short game to see what it looks like. So I selected "short games", scroll down a little looking for something really small in size and somehow its screenshot caught my eye :)
Next was 5 Days a Stranger, I think.
So, while the second game proved how cool these "homemade" games could be, first one made me believe I could do one too  ;D

Calin Leafshade

The first one i played was Art of Theft, Since i am one of the biggest newbies here probably. Both in terms of AGS and adventure games in general.

Then i moved on the the other yahtzee offerings (my favourite probably being 1213.. which is weird)

Babar

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 26/10/2009 02:00:25
My very first game was Alien Time Zone. When I found AGS website I decided to download some really short game to see what it looks like. So I selected "short games", scroll down a little looking for something really small in size and somehow its screenshot caught my eye :)
Next was 5 Days a Stranger, I think.
So, while the second game proved how cool these "homemade" games could be, first one made me believe I could do one too  ;D
Love you, Crimson Wizard! ;D
Even though you didn't exactly praise my game :P
Hope you enjoyed it!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

kconan

The Shivah was the first AGS game I played, which was awesome.  The one that got me interested in AGS as a game making tool was Time Gentlemen Please!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Babar on Mon 26/10/2009 10:55:13
Love you, Crimson Wizard! ;D
Even though you didn't exactly praise my game :P
Hope you enjoyed it!
I actually did! It has an interesting concept and cute alien animations ;)
I was dissapointed it was too short though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk