Tune Contest March 22 - 29

Started by Ghormak, Mon 22/03/2004 00:11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghormak

Victory is mine! Tune contest is yours!

Your task is to create a "travelling theme" for an old-schoolish fantasy RPG. You know, the "walking in the forest" kind of music. I even have an example to show you, it's a "cover" I made of the theme from the old C64 game "Wizardry". Click for inspiration.

The only restriction is that you must have fun. OBEY THE RESTRICTIONS!

Achtung Franz! The comic

Peter Thomas

yessir.

psst: By old-school, does that mean you want to hear the almost midi-feel that was present in your cover. Or are 72 part orchestral suites okay? (well...not really...obviously...really...)
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Ghormak

The sound doesn't matter. I'll be judging the melodies and overall feel of the tune rather than what instruments you use (or don't use).
Achtung Franz! The comic

Ben

I decided to update my entry with real isntruments and a few random changes:

EVEN BETTER Dragon-Warriory Music  

Direct Tripod Link  

AND teh ORIGINAL! :

TOTALLY OLD-SCHOOL Dragon-Warriory Music  

Direct Tripod Link  

Ghormak

That'll do just fine, Ben. I'm not picky about looping. Great work. :)

(Also, remember that you don't have to use nostalgic instruments, you can do symphonic arrangements that sound just as old-school)
Achtung Franz! The comic

loominous

Been ages since the last time I used a tracker, but for these things, they re unbeatable.

Entry

Edit: Some notes: I m aware that it s repetative (I would add some other parts to it, if I had sufficient ambition) and I m also aware of some dissonant parts that might not please the ear.
Looking for a writer

Peter Thomas

ATTENTION!! NEW UPDATED FILE!!
No...this not cheating. It's still the same song, just a better recording of it, seeing as my previous one had some background noise. With this, you can hear certain instruments (like glockenspiel/harp) more clearly, but it's still the same, so it's allowed...

[fake english accent]

Hello there, little boys and girls...

Come and listen to The Jolly Little Forest of the Kingdom of Love!!

[/fake english accent]

Yes.... the name IS meant to be that corny. The scene I image here is the 'hero' wandering through the garden of the castle, hopefully to meet the beautiful princess at the palace gates. Hence the corniness.

And yet I still think it has an almost... niceness to it....

Oh well..... make up your own minds.....

P.S - don't mind some of the 'clatter' noises at the very very very end. As I was recording through a microphone, it's hard to eliminate the background noises, so just run with it.  ;D

Peter Thomas

Ghormak

Whoops, for some reason I thought I wasn't supposed to judge it yet, and now I'm 2 days overdue!

Right, I liked them all. They were wonderfully nostalgic. But if I had to choose one winner (which I have to, because this is a contest after all), then I'd choose:

Ben!

Congratulations and celebrations, there's just something about that tune that sets it slightly above the other two entries (and just now I remember that I had a hard time choosing between your tune and Fuzzpilz' in a previous old-school themed compo I judged many moons ago, and I chose Fuzzpilz. So it's about time you win, I guess. :) ).

I won't go into any in-depth review of all the tunes, because the three reviews could be summarized in one word:

Awesome
Achtung Franz! The comic

Ben

Hippo!

The entries were all great. Hope we can have more great tunes in the future..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk