LFNDOS works great but not with XCOPY

Started by , Thu 25/03/2004 21:32:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucur Adrian

Someone please help!

I was having this plan about restoring a windows98 installation by copying back from a I've made, but it cannot be done from MSDOS due to lack of support for long filenames. I've discovered LFNDOS, and it works great, DIR or EDIT can benefit from LFN, but i still did not found an utility to help me copy a whole directory structure, with long filenames and hidden files.
XCOPY does not see neither LFN nor hidden files;
XXCOPY is a 32 bit program for windows;
XXCOPY16 see hidden files but not LFNs;
and so on..
I suppose those programs didn't expect LFN support in MSDOS, but this does not solve my problem.

Thank You!

Darth Mandarb

Ummm ...

Uhhh ...

What?

Something you've made in AGS?

Bucur Adrian

LFNDOS.EXE is TSR frogram for MS-DOS, witch allow programs to use long file names as in an MS-DOS-box in Windows9x, but, obviously, without it loaded. This is a great first step for anyone attempting to backup/restore files with long filenames within MS-DOS.
The problem consists in the fact that I cannot find an xcopy-type utility witch use this LFN capability.

Actually it has nothing to do with AGS. I was redirected to this forum from an outdated MS-DOS forum where the autor of LFNDOS (Chris Jones) posted some replies. Sorry for the incovenience, but maybe someone will help me. Afterall, it is an interesting subject for DOS users.

strazer

MS-DOS 7.1 has long file name support too.
Don't know if it has an xcopy equivalent though...

Gilbert

Unfortunately, after CJ moved on to Window$ and concentrates on AGS, his DOS utilities were all abandoned. So LFNDOS is now a bit obsolete.

You may try out the more frequently updated counterparts such as LFNTOOLS or DOSLFN instead. (Though I sometimes find it useful to use LFNDOS and LFNTOOLS together, odd.)

And for forum members who didn't quite get how this thread went here see Burcur's reply:
Actually it has nothing to do with AGS. I was redirected to this forum from an outdated MS-DOS forum where the autor of LFNDOS (Chris Jones) posted some replies. Sorry for the incovenience, but maybe someone will help me. Afterall, it is an interesting subject for DOS users.
Though this thread seems to be offtopic here, but I understand that it's not easy to determine which forum to post on when he's been transferred here via that EZBOARD link.

strazer

Can you even post anywhere else if you are a Guest?

Gilbert

I don't think so (at least not starting a new thread), so I think it's okay he posted here.

Bucur Adrian

THANKS A LOT, GILBOT V7000A for the LFNTOOLS link at http://www.odi.ch !

There is a LCOPY utility among other LFN utils that does just what I was looking for: the XCOPY job with hidden files and LFNs. And it does not even requires LFNDOS being installed.

Just for the record, if someone is plannig on using this tool, use * instead *.* for all-files wildcard, to copy even the files with no extension at all. After copying my program files dir, I've performed a by-content comparison with TotalCommander and everything was fine.

Windows9x backup and restore just became a batch job! To all who are interested: be aware that io.sys cannot be restored that way, must be placed back with 'sys' or 'format /s' but after that, newly created msdos.sys must be replaced with the original one from the backup.

Thanks again to all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk