New Background Tutorial : Pixel Art Background

Started by Minimi, Fri 26/03/2004 22:50:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimi

Hi there!

I'm just finished with writing my second tutorial! This tutorial is about pixeling a background. It's for people that are new to background art, and haven't got much expierence.

Here is the picture of the endresult that you can have by doing my tutorial! I haven't even shown it before on the forum, and it's also a screenshot of my new game... so now you know what I'm working on! :p

This is the chapter index :

Introduction
1. Installing Applications
- Graphics Gale
- The Gimp
2. Concept Art
3. Perspective
- Vanishing point
- Outlines
4. Colours
- Basic Filling
- Walls detail
- Ground detail
5. Architecture
6. Objects

You can download the tutorial in PDF version, and in DOC version. Do keep in mind the pictures are alittle blurry in the PDF version!

PDF Version
DOC Version

Please tell me what you think of the tutorial, and weither you can use it. Right now I'm just glad I finally finished it!  :-*

PS : I hope to see now some better backgrounds from new graphicsartists :P

Penguinx

Kind of an aside: I dig the background! Your stuff has gotten very polished, hasn't it?

Why, I remember when just the other day you were learning how to use a scanner and posting your first colored characters -sniffle.  ;)

Nacho

Sorry if I piss it off, I haven't downloaded the tutorial, I'm quite busy, I don't want to say anything inaccurate but... It seems that it works! Whereas I was not very happy with your previous work, this background looks very very acceptable, good work.

If it can help any other newbies to improve the style as it worked for you, I would recommend it a lot.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Minimi

Thank you for your comments on the background. I'm happy that you both like it. Yes penguinx, it took me awhile to get better with art.

and Farlander, I finally found a style that fits me, and I think also myself that it looks good now.

Would someone please do the tutorial, and tell me if it helped, or give me any more comments? Should this tutorial be added to the AGS mainpage bytheway?

Czar

Well, I can say i went through it briefly, and i noticed that you start very thoroughly and really speed things up at the end. I know, thats the point where the reader should got the point, but maybe there is someone that doesnt understand some things so it could be difficult for him.
did you understand what i said? :) (cuz i barely did)...

btw, I like your pic  :D
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Remco

i`ve followed the toturial. I learned much about it. But i missed some explanation about for example the objects. How can you make them look realistic? Maybe you should must explain the toturial some better. (forgive me for my english :S)
There is only 1 entertainer, the Q entertainer!

Dreben ama Vreden

This is good, but where's your tutorial No. 1?

Remco

Kinoko

The background looks great ^_^ I was gonna crit the "window" until I realised it's a cabinet (oops!). So it looks great, I particularly like the balistrades (spelling?) on the staircase.

Jayel

It's a nice background,
I don't agree with the placement of some of the items (like fireplace in the entrace of the house or the cabinet right next to staircase).
If it's for tutorial purposes, i guess it doesn't really matter though.

Andail

There's one thing presenting a nice background (which you have done); writing a tutorial, however, demands a bit more care and knowledge.
(I don't know if it's a fad these days to make these official-looking publications...)

To start with, in order to teach out perspective, you should get it right yourself. Otherwise there's no real reason to point it out to other people.

Your background is nice in terms of atmosphere and textures, and your tutorial does a good job explaining those techniques.
The composition is more questionable, as is the very architecture/decoration of the room. Great improvement since your previous works, anyhow.

Darth Mandarb

I'm a little confused here ...

Isn't this thread a year old?

Isn't minimi somwhere in South America spreading the good word?

Remco

jrl2222

Thats why the search is such a good thing. You can find these old threads and pretend you were part of AGS way back when. Then it just takes one post asking a simple question
Quote from: Dreben ama Vreden on Thu 10/02/2005 09:18:54
This is good, but where's your tutorial No. 1?

And the thread is alive and kicking like it was just made yesterday.

Minimi

woo, just checking the forums back, and yes, this thread is very old! I haven't made much more works eventually... as I'm right now kinda "out of the gamedeveloping".

I'll just watch this thread to go down the list again. :)

Andail

Gah, I hate thread-digging...and we can chat about minimi's returnal in other forums....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk