Comin' Off The Streets demo available soon

Started by R4L, Tue 06/04/2004 14:00:50

Previous topic - Next topic

R4L

Comin' Off The Streets

This is a game I started recently actually about a week ago but I got a demo ready, I got my full version going preety good, and I have had alot of free time now that school hasn't been giving us any homework for a while.
My game is about a boy named Bubba Young. He lives with his mother who is unemployed and lives off of her unemployment money. She can barely keep food on the table. She undergoes lots of stress and eventually starts to beat her children. It was only when they got the eviction notice that Bubba starts to keep a journal. He decides that he is only making his mother suffer and even though he loves her, he decides to run away to find a better life for himself.

The game takes off there. You start out by his house where he says goodbye to the town he grew up in. He walks out of town and never looks back. It is very dark and Bubba notices a barn down the road. He walks to it, and sneaks in. He sleeps in the hay. When he wakes up, he thinks its still early. He writes an entry in his journal, and then takes some stuff from the barn that he thnk he will need. He then thinks of an idea. He will go to the city and live in a foster home. The city ain't to far away. It starts to get dark out and Bubba has to rest from walking. Meanwhile, a car is speeding down the road. The lady has been drinking, and she drifts away. She catches herself and looks back up. She screams and jerks the wheel to the right. Her car slams into Bubba, and he lies silently on the ground...

Thats all that is known for the final version. I am at my friends so no screenshots or a demo will be up anytime soon. I have been practicing the script and I now know how to use the AGS Flashlight plugin. But, I can't get the credits to work. I am trying to make it so you can do anything for people with curiosity, like, if you think he is hungry, go get a burger. If you think the newspaper on the ground might have something interesting in it, pick it up and read it. The game has indoor music and outdoor music. If your outside, the wind will blow or it will be calm. At night, owls hoot in the background. I am looking for a sound that has a footprint for outside and indoors but I haven't had any luck. I think this project is going well.

If you have any questions or comments or anything, post it here or e~mail me at Xpac3491@aol.com

P.S. I gave my neighbor the right to finish Torn Souls, or the game I was making as Silent Hill. He now owns it and is trying to figure out how to use the script. lol.

Here is a screenie,

Phemar

Czar

Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Vel

* Vel raises an eyebrow towards a moderator

SSH

* SSH  sees Vel's eyebrow and raises him a sideburn

Mmmmm.... body hair poker!

R4L

What the fuck is this? Don't chat in my thread unless you have an opinion.  >:(

Opo Terser

whoah calm down, no need to be an asshole

Squinky

Quote from: Rap4Life42o on Sun 11/04/2004 01:35:53
What the fuck is this? Don't chat in my thread unless you have an opinion.  >:(

Don't post on this forum, unless you're going to stop being an idiot....

Seriously man...

R4L

Sorry for being an asshole but I don't just post for fun. I don't like it and theres plenty of people on this site who don't like it either. I wouldn't do this to anyone so don't do it to me.

Squinky: I don't mean to be rude but I just didn't made this thread for people to just come in and chat. If I have to be an asshole just to keep the balance in here then I will.

MrColossal

Really interesting idea Rap [do you have a name? i feel funny calling you Rap, hehe]

it sounds much more interesting than the other game and more emotionally interesting, a kid running away trying to save his mother the stress is a nice idea.

I like the background but would like to see more, add more detail. now more detail doesn't mean every brick but just a few little things here and there, some dirt, some junk. also, i'd darken some of the outline colours a bit

otherwise, good luck, and remember, don't try to be too ambitious [the whole hamburger and newspaper thing] you'll drown yourself in the details...

eric

ps: just a note, if you don't like these posts in your thread, you can PM one of the moderators and ask them to please delete the unrelated topics and they'll do it lickity split
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

R4L

Yes lol I have a name. My name is Corey, I would tell you my last name but you would laugh at it. ;D

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I won't use the whole hamburger thing because I think this being like a 2nd project and I should take it easy. I will get to the bg's tonight and I am going to work on the demo. So far it's short and has no puzzles. So, I was thinking I should add a few and make it longer so it's not just story. Well, like I have said before, back to the ol' drawing board!

MrColossal

also, there was something else i was going to write and forgot, all the back story you have written here, i strongly suggest not just writting it all in text boxes. even if you think it looks terrible i'd LOVE to see it all drawn out. Even if it's just a slide show with text boxes as support, it would be so much better than just written out

good luck
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

R4L

Thats a good idea. I never thought of that, I just told the story in the main char's text.

R4L

Wow. No one posted? Sheesh!

An apartment.

And a closet where the main character locks himself in.

I am having some problems. I know this isn't the technical forum but please read!

Ok, I have a puzzle where you find this safe and it's voice activated. You get this Cassette Player and you use it on the door in the "Trapped" room. A lady says some stuff and a few of her words are the code. You get it on the tape, then you use the cassette player on the safe and it opens. How will I be able to make it so the player cannot just open it after he or she gets the cassette player? I want to make it so the player HAS to get the voice first without just being able to pick up the player and use it right away. Any help will be appreciated!

Squinky

Well, the easy way would be to have two inv objects for the tape, one blank tape and then after you record, you can lose the blank and put in the next inv, and that would be the only one that should be scripted to work....Another way to do it, which may actually end up being the easiest:

when you get the recording do this:

SetGlobalInt (1,1);

the on the hotspot interaction with the inv (tape) just do:

if (GetGlobalInt (1)==0){
Display ("I think I need to do something else before this works");
}
else if (GetGlobalInt (1)==1){
Put code here for opening safe, then you should prolly set the Int to another number so's you can't keep doing this action over and over...
}

Thats basically how I'd do it...

R4L

Thanks Squinky, I appreciate it! I am trying it out now.

R4L

I tried your method with the scripting and I must say, I still can't get it.

I have this...

// room script file

function room_a() {
 // script for room: Player enters screen (after fadein)
GUIOn(0);
GUIOn(1);
ShowMouseCursor();  
}

function hotspot4_a() {
 // script for hotspot4: Use inventory on hotspot
SetGlobalInt (1,1);  
}

function hotspot2_a() {
 // script for hotspot2: Use inventory on hotspot
}
}
I get a parse error when I go to save.

Squinky

Prolly because you need to close the function, if you know what I mean.So just try adding that last "}"

function hotspot2_a() {
// script for hotspot2: Use inventory on hotspot
}
}
}

Edit-------------

Also, And I'm not trying to pick on your scripting skills, because I have no idea where your at with them, but I thought I should point out that if you just typing "123" in there it won't work....heh, probably stupid of me to point out, but when I was new to scripting I wouldn't have known better, so I'm just covering the bases here in case you didn't know...

Hopefully that works...

Snake

Quote...otherwise, good luck, and remember, don't try to be too ambitious [the whole hamburger and newspaper thing] you'll drown yourself in the details...
And please, look at me if you need a good example.

Nice sounding game, btw Corey :)

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk