newbie saying 'hi'

Started by Spudley, Sat 03/04/2004 00:00:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Spudley

Yep... This is one of those annoying threads that all newbies start when they join a forum.   ;)  .... so I'll keep it short.  :)

I've been playing with AGS for a few days, and I'm having a ball. To the author go my sincere thanks.

Since I'm using Linux, it's also proving a good test of Wine's ability to run Windows apps under Linux. I'm pleased to say that AGS works perfectly (except for running the game in a window, but I can live with that)

I'm only really getting started now, so it's probably a bit early to be talking about the game I'm planning, but it's based on the Freefall comic strip.

That's all for now.  :D  (I'll see you in the beginner's forum when I find something that's difficult.  ;) )

Spudley.

strazer

Hello and welcome from a semi-newbie! :)

I'm planning to make the switch to Linux myself in the near future so thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if AGS would run smoothly or not.

Are you using the Linux interpreter or Wine to play games?
Does the editor work in Wine? Any hiccups?

Thanks and enjoy your stay! Lovely people around here.

Nacho

This threads are not annoying... It's a kind way to introduce yourself, IMO... Welcome to the community, and enjoy! :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Darth Mandarb

Raggit

--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Domino

Greetings and welcome to the community.

Gregjazz

Welcome Spudley! Best luck on your game!

Peter Thomas

Greetings. And may the force be with you.
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

DragonRose

I hope this newbie is sturdier than the last one.  We play rough with our toys, you see.

Welcome and enjoy!
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Domino

I'm still a newbie. I give you permission to play rough with me.

Please be gentle.

;D

Wormmaster

Welcome!
I hope that your hard drive doesn't broke, when your game is almost ready...
Just like mine did...

c.leksutin

Quote from: DragonRose on Sat 03/04/2004 05:00:45
 We play rough with our toys

Wow, never WISHED to be a n00b before....

Seriously: welcome! enjoy! ppay no attention to my guns!

C.

p.s. I am the gestapo

Ginny

Welcome! Good luck on making your game! The comic seems interesting :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Peter Thomas

Why has he not responded? One would imagine that a newbie would be excited to be so warmly welcomed...

Not that I'm any less welcoming..... just surprised.

Pet Terry

Hello there, and welcome to the whirlpool of madness...
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Peter Thomas

woo-hoo!

A newbie's first 'Hot Topic'!!!

Spudley

Wow. 15 replies. That was impressive.  :D

Quote from: Peter Thomas on Sat 03/04/2004 11:53:39
Why has he not responded? One would imagine that a newbie would be excited to be so warmly welcomed...

Um, that would be because I turned off my computer right after posting, and I only just got back.

Quote from: strazer on Sat 03/04/2004 00:12:42
Hello and welcome from a semi-newbie! :)

I'm planning to make the switch to Linux myself in the near future so thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if AGS would run smoothly or not.

Are you using the Linux interpreter or Wine to play games?
Does the editor work in Wine? Any hiccups?

AGS runs fine under Wine. There are a couple of very minor screen glitches where the font isn't quite the same as the program is expecting, but nothing that detracts from using it.

The one thing that doesn't work is running the game in a window. It runs, but you can't move the pointer. But it works perfectly in full-screen mode, so I haven't been too worried about that.

The compiled game also runs fine under Wine, with the same caveat. I haven't even tried the Linux interpreter yet, but I'll give it a go at some point.

I have noticed that the graphics in the compiled game don't look as good as they do in the editor's test mode, but I don't think that's a linux issue - I'm guessing I'm probably using graphics that are the wrong size? But that's another issue I can get back to.

Quote from: GinnyW on Sat 03/04/2004 11:43:43
Welcome! Good luck on making your game! The comic seems interesting :)

It is a brilliant comic strip - well worth bookmarking. You'll want to start from the begining of the story to really get into it, but I guarantee once you're hooked you'll never leave!  ;)   (they've also got a very lively forum there, btw)

Esseb

Welcome.

You'll need to run setup or edit the config file of the game yourself and set the proper resolution. I'm guessing you're making a game that has a higher resolution than 320*200 which is what the game engine reverts to if no config file is present.

Czar

RUN RUN! you can still save yourself!!!
Oh no, you made your second post.
Its too late now.

Anyway, welcome  :P
And didnt "we" have a X version of AGS?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Paper Carnival

That Freefall comic rules! I wish you best luck on making a game for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk