Scythe Island, 100% finished!

Started by fransaskois, Mon 12/04/2004 10:10:50

Previous topic - Next topic

fransaskois

Scythe Island
A Graphic Adventure by Simon Prefontaine

How appropriate, you script like a cow.

Greetings one and all to my first post in the AGS forums.  I downloaded the program about a week ago and haven't been getting much sleep since, much to my body's chagrin.

I've been working on a small-medium length adventure game based loosley on the Monkey Island games.  Why do I saw "loosely based?"  Several reasons-
1- I don't wanna get sued.
2- More creative liberty this way.
3- I don't have to make my art look -just- like in those games.

Etc etc... I suppose "Inspired by" would be more accurate.  

Release date is early May 2004, or When It's Done.  Whichever comes last.

What can you expect from this game?
-Tomfoolery.
-Some Monkey Island-style humour, mixed with some of my own.
-Hijinx.
-Interesting characters
-Shenanigans.
-Puzzles that make sense.  None of that "use the Artichokes on the Nunnery" nonsense.
-More pirate puns than you can shake a pegleg at.
-Did I mention tomfoolery?
-Good spellign

Here are some screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

Birds-eye view of Scythe Island

All good quests begin somewhere.

Mopman Dan, one of the hapless inhabitants of Scythe Island.  
He'll swab your deck anytime.

I'm not much of an artist yet, I'm banking on the writing and plot to push this game along, mainly.

Anyways, I hope that's -just- enough to wet your appetite.

I'd love to hear your feedback.  Stay tuned!

-sp

UPDATE - April 13th

PS - Grr....scripting be hard.

PPS - I've been laughing out loud while test-running my game, I'm really eager to get this out the door.  I need to redraw the GUIs, fix one scripting problem I've been having, and make 1 or 2 more NPCs.  Stay tuned, folks!

PPPS - and I've actually found a spot to put the artichoke-nunnery thing... if I have the time.

PPPPS - Oh, and here's a new screenshot for my ardent fans.

Oh my God, it's full of stars!

PPPPPS - *cough*cough*twobetatestersneeded*cough*cough*

----EDIT------

Scythe Island has been released!  Check out the post in the Completed Game Announcements forum! Thanks to everyone for their support!

-sp
"My computer is narcoleptic."

Jockstrap

Looks good. Piratey games are always good. And its good that you've got it almost finished before you posted. Good, good, good.
You whet my pants...

Peter Thomas

Yes, it is good you waited to post. Nothing worse than seeing an enthusiast dying after two weeks of script... it kills the soul.

Those graphics look great, though. Similar to M.I, but not so similar that it could be called a rip. More of a 'friendly reminder' really.

Quote from: fransaskois on Mon 12/04/2004 10:10:50
-Puzzles that make sense.  None of that "use the Artichokes on the Nunnery" nonsense.

Oh my freaking stars, it has finally happened. THANK YOU!! *hugs fransas to point of discomfort*

Good luck and godspeed.
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Kweepa

In one week you did most of the game?
Respect!

Looks really nice!
But what if I want to use the artichokes on the nunnery?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Jockstrap

Yeah, there will always be a special place in my heart for using artichokes on nunnery....
You whet my pants...

Mats Berglinn

This is going to be cool! I would like to know about the main-character. What does he look like? Is he a young man or a fearsome pirate? What is his mission? Does he live on Scythe Island or did he travel there for a certain reson?

fransaskois

Wow, I go to bed, wake up and have 5 responses to read... youpi!

Well, I won't say too much because I'd like to leave some surprises.   I can say that the main character is not from Scythe Island, but he's there on an important mission.  

I'm actually kinda proud of how he's turning out, his personality's pretty interesting.  He's not just a Guybrush clone, or some blank faceless main character.

And if you -insist-, I can put an artichoke and/or a nunnery in there somewhere.  ;)

DanClarke

hey freind just a quick one, on your map drawing, North should be pointing...North. I think its like that on all maps. Looks interesting. :)

Gilbert

Quote from: DanClarke on Mon 12/04/2004 19:43:27
hey freind just a quick one, on your map drawing, North should be pointing...North. I think its like that on all maps. Looks interesting. :)

Heh no, this is just a misconception. We incorporated many exercises of north not pointing "upwards" in our books.

rtf

Heh, One time my compass messed up and I ran into a wall.  Just Kidding!  Laugh!

You game looks awesome.  I love the style and character design.  Good Luck, do tell if you need beta testers.
I fail at art.

fransaskois

Quote from: DanClarke on Mon 12/04/2004 19:43:27

It's pointing to magnetic north.* ;)

-fransaskois

* - which is not the same as cardinal north, or whatever the other north is called.

Mats Berglinn

Because of that the adventure will take part on Scythe Island, any chance that Grim Reaper will show up?

Peter Thomas

Quote from: fransaskois on Mon 12/04/2004 18:54:37
And if you -insist-, I can put an artichoke and/or a nunnery in there somewhere.  ;)

yes! with all the fuss it's getting, it WILL still be a puzzle that makes sense.

And, as Berglinn says, a friendly visit from Death wouldn't go unappreciated...

Jockstrap

You whet my pants...

Peter Thomas

Quote from: fransaskois on Mon 12/04/2004 10:10:50
PPPPPS - *cough*cough*twobetatestersneeded*cough*cough*

PPPPPPS *cough*cough*betatestercanbefoundhere*cough*cough*

fransaskois

Grrrr.... this is the third time I try and write a message -my computer keeps freezing before i can finish them- so I'll make this short.

You're in peter, i'll email you later, probably around Wednesday.  

Looking for one more beta tester...

bye, and thanks

Kinoko

Wow, I'm so glad so many MI style games are coming out lately ^_^ and it looks really nice! I like the simple cel shading, and it does look to have a nice atmosphere about it. There's certainly something about games set in an endless night...

Farsight

Game looks great!!
PPPPPPPS *cough*cough*betate......
Na you got another beta tester right here!!
Guess who's back??

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS
If ya need a secret 3rd Beta Tester... I'm always here..!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk