Another RPG

Started by JD, Sat 14/09/2002 21:28:35

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

This is my 2nd rpg. It's a bit like Breath of Fire. Combat wise.
There's not much you can do. You can walk around in the desert
and fight a zombie and a mummy. You can also go to the village
on the north-west part of the map, but you can't do anything there :)

"Flee" and "Inventory" doesn't work. You can check your stats though
(if you fight enough monsters you can also gain levels which make your
basic attack + spells stronger). The elemental power doesn't do anything.
It was going to be a part of the game. You could train in either fire or ice
and get the appropriate spells. Who knows, maybe I will continue this game some
day :)

About the spells:

The first spell (the flaming sword) and the third spell (ice blast) are attacks. The second
spell (heart) is a heal. The fourth (ice sword) isn't working correct. Cast it, and you'll become
invisible :(

That's about it. Have fun! If anyone has any questions about how I did what, just ask.

http://home.quicknet.nl/mw/prive/jjjdekker/rpg2.exe

Squinky

Hmmm....The game pops up in a smaller window that I cant enlarge, and this causes problems for me with the mouse curser, 75% of the time I cant get that sword cursor to move correctly....but when I do, it's damn cool... I only checked it out for a short while but I was impressed. I'm envious....
Also, to me, the characters move speed seems way to fast in the town....

Really though, It's cool, do you have plans on finishing this or was it a short learning project?

JD

Hmm. Can't you run winsetup.exe to set it to non-windowed mode? I used windowed mode for testing purposes. And I started this to see if I could make it in ags :) Maybe I'll finish it some day.

2ma2

It's much better than the first rpg tryout (not the first person, yet it was better than that aswell). Especially the battle scenes. I'd advice you to move the characters closer to each other tho'. But WOOT! Character alterations due to battle. I was stunned by the zombie losing vital parts and it featured gore!!11!! :)

Tho', the guy being so small was a bit annoying. Why not making a bigger room to walk in.

Also, the spell screen we're difficult to close. How about making a script that closes the spell window when you've selected one.

And the last thing. I REALLY advice you to make an RPG in 256 colors. The palette effects is simply awe for simulating the different lights of day and night (ala qfg).

Squinky

Hmmm, well ya, now that you mention it, I guess I could run set-up....but then I wouldn't have looked like an idiot would I ?...heh....

Seriously though, I liked what you have here. the battle scenes were authentic-looking and I loved how the character attacked....

Once again, good job...

Frogman

Awesome!  Too bad there's so much slowdown...another example of why AGS could use an optimization for speed ;)

JD

Hmm yeah you're right about the 256-color 2ma2. That would also speed it up
a bit won't it?

Pod

a bit = quite a lot ;D

cornjob

One interesting thing you can do with the 256 color palette is allow the player customize his character's colors. I've done it... but you need to know palettes well.

2ma2

The tricky part is assigning the palette. You can't go around doing the usual gfx to import, you have to plan ALL the customizable gfx before working. Then set up slots for it, and import the character sprites so it'll be assigned to the slots in question.

If you're new to palette's, this is NOT to recommended :)

Hmm.. ok if I add this feature to the rpg section in DQ2, or do you wanna do it, Corny?

JD

dq2 has an rpg section? :)

2ma2 unlogged

cornjob

2ma2, go for it... I didn't even know there was going to be an rpg section.

Pod

this rocks:D

pity i had -150 HP by the end

JD

Um yeah uh.. You cant die :)

Guyver

was it hard to make the script for the battle style

JD

If you're an experienced scripter in ags, it's not really that hard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk