Curse of the Seas

Started by Charlos, Wed 14/04/2004 15:33:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlos

Hello everyone,

I want to show you some graphics of my new game Curse Of The Seas.
It's a pirate's adventure in 4 chapters.

More details coming soon!

If you have any questions or feedback please let me know!

Minimi

Wow, extremely great graphics! I'm looking forward to this game already!

Could you tell us something about the plot/story of the game?

Also, with what program did you render te bg's and character?

Good luck on the game!

Damien

Wow!!! Looks Great!

Is the character always going to have his sword pulled out, or is there going to be some kind of  fight mode?

modgeulator

Privateer Puddin'

Kinoko

Wow! Cool! Pirates!

I like it already.

The only possible critique I could offer is to give him an awesome piratey jacket... though that's not really critique. He looks fine as he. I just LOVE big elaborate pirate jackets.

Vel

Dude, that looks amazing, could you please give some info on the plot and such?

Charlos

Thanks, guys.
I'll be back with more details tomorrow.

Cheers

Kweepa

Very professional!
I'd change two things
- lose the subtitle on the game
- tone down the white highlights on the shirt. they look good on skin though!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

foz

Darth Mandarb

This looks pretty darn good.

The background:
+ looks excellent first of all
-  the wet spots on the rock (bottom right) look a little like plastic (just a little)
-  the background folliage blends with the palm trees as you get to the left side of the screen.

With this much detail (realism) it NEEDS to be 'alive' with animation, which could be tough to accomplish with only 5 frames.  I would suggest using animated objects for the water (waves), palm trees swaying, grass blowing in the wind, etc.

The character animation:
+ The walking looks smooth and fluid
-  The side view looks blurred compared to the front view (I prefer the unblurry look)
-  The hat wobbles a little ... not too bad, but noticable.
+ the lighting effect is nice, but throughout the game might be inconsistant unless every screen you design for it has the light source coming from that direction!

I'm no expert at 3D so these are just some suggestions!  I think this is some of the best 3D stuff I've seen applied to AG here.

Keep it up!

Charlos

Well, here is a first overview of the plot. I won't tell you to much details at this
point.
As I said, the game will be divided into 4 parts.
Each chapter should have to be played in an half hour.

1. part: the main character John (working name) awakes after being stranded on an island. He was first navigator on a ship of the famous pirate Charles Vane. After the captain was wounded in a seabattle, John was under suspicion to be a traitor. So, the pirates bannished him on this island. There he find another old stranded pirate, which is working at a ship to escape from the island.....

2. part: John reaches the town Tortuga and hears of a big treasure and of a mysterious
doubloon, that shows the route to it. So, John has to get the doubloon and a small ship to sail to the secret hiding place.

3. part: The first part of this chapter is the journey with the sailing ship, which the user controls in an isometric view over the caribbean sea and some islands.
At the hiding place of the treasure John has to find a way to dive to an underwater cave....

4. part: In the cave John will be trapped and becomes a prisoner of Charles Vane and his pirates.
In Vane's hidden pirate-town John has to get out of the prison, finds the real traitor and wins back the confidence of captain Vane....

Details on characters and locations coming next.

Greetings
(Maybe my English is bad at some points. Sorry for that.)

Peter Thomas

I agree with whoever said lose the subtitle.

"Curse of the Seas" sounds ultra-mega-cool.

"Raider of the Lost Doubloon" sounds like a super-bad rip-off of an Indiana Jones Jones movie. Besides that, Doubloon is an awfully silly word, and can't really be 'raided' as such. Stolen - certainly, Purloined - most definitely, but raided? No. Raided suggests going INTO something like a cave or a house or a palace etc..

I've yet to meet someone who walked into a coin...

BUT...

Besides this seemingly negative post (which it's not, I absolutely LOOOOVE everything about this game aside the subtitle), the graphics are superb! and the plot sounds cool! (A little cliched, perhaps, but that's the whole fun of pirate games! I wouldn't want it any other way).

Congratulations on a great game, hope to play it soon!
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Charlos

Thanks,

you convinced me, I do it without the subtitle.

Thomas

Hi Charlos, your game looks awesome.

Could you tell a little newcommer how to do such cool graphics???

Davis

Yeah, those graphics are certainly amazing. Even just a heads up on what proggie you use to make them would be appreciated.
"So I've proved my point a thousand fold," snorts Davis. "Ho ho."

stuh505

Charlos, what program are you using for the character animation?  (it all looks fantastic by the way)

Charlos

Well, for those who are interested, I show you the way I'm working. It's the same way as many artists do this stuff  ;)

First and very important: make a concept drawing (or just
a little scribble).

At this point you set the location, objects, perspective and so on, so that you haven't think about it at the modelling part in your 3D-software. It saves time and motivation to correct things now and not later.

The next part is to work with your 3D software (I'm using 3D Studio Max) and create your objects.

For those, who don't know how such a software works, look at the 3 palms above.
First you make a wireframe model of your object. Then you setup lights and the camera.
At last you give your objects textures and materials and render out the image.

I prefer to divide an image into foreground and background layers (sometimes even midground), so that I have separate control of them.

Then I compose the layers in Photoshop and make some finishing works like
colour correction or so.

Hope this little overview answers some questions.

Greetings
(Maybe my English is bad at some points. Sorry for that.)

Moox

your concept art looks better then my real art

stuh505

Charlos,

It's cool how you achieve a quality yet non-photorealistic effect in max.  You have a unqiue style :)

I'm also using max6.  I'm curious though, why do you render the components of your scene individually and then paste them together in photoshop?  Why not build it all into the same scene?  That's got to severely limit the capability for realistic lighting and shadows.  Do you always work this way?

Also, did you model and animate the pirate entirely in max?

Did you model and texture the water, or just draw that in photoshop?

And one last thing, I think you should turn down the specular level on that rock in the foreground, it looks a bit too shiny.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk