(hopefully) CMI Style background 4 C&C (redesigned)

Started by .., Fri 16/04/2004 19:14:21

Previous topic - Next topic

This is a background i doodled lasty night and then colored it in useing a new tecnique (methinks) that i made up as i went along... Its a bit big so ull prob have to scroll 2 c it

I tried to copy the CMI Style with the clouds...

I've built a game idea around it.. its called
Bermuda : Secrets of Atlantis.

The black bit will contain a GUI if u didnt know..

Mari

I like it.  It has a very calming look to it.  Almost like you are in a dream.

Peter Thomas

Agreed, except that tree near the building in the middle
looks like a 2d paper cut out. It has no depth.

But, I really REALLY like that 2d look.

And you're clouds rock.
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Karimi

Pretty nice.

The clouds are cool but should be fixed a bit so that they look a bit more like clouds , by that i mean that along the end they become pointy and that isn't very cloud-like even from monkey island.

The tree in the back also should be worked on since it looks 2d,  everything else is fine.

Morgan

Am I the only one who cant tell what that gray thing in the middle is. It kind of looks like a fountain. Is it a fountain? Because it looks like a fountain....Its a fountain right? Lets just say it is a fountain. Then it should look rounder and more.... fountain like. Right now it has no depth.

DanClarke

i think you need to spend more time detailling it to get the CMI look.

Andail

Although it's a nice background to start out with, it might be a bit hasty to call it CMI-style.
Giving c&c on a picture is always easier if the artist can be honest to himself, and not have to high pretentions, otherwise people might judge it from another perspective.

Right now, it seems there are lots of things you could improve just by being a bit more careful with details.

Hmm..... I wasnt really trying to copy CMI rather than the clouds... just using it as insperation.. My Fault.. should have made that clearer... Anyhoo Iyou're right that tree is really bugging me now... so I had a go at rounding it...

Rather than posting the whole thing i'll jsut post the new tree...

Any advice on what I can add detail wise? Eg, tiles etc. And then advice on how to do that:P

That is a fountain in the background, it will eventually be an animated background with water coming from it :P (Hopefully......)

DanClarke

its a bit of an improvement, but the base of the tree needs to follow the roundness of the gradient. Also, the fact that you are using gradients takes you further away from CMI style. Keep at it.

Im not actually using gradients, That is just the dodge and burn tools.

Daz

i think you need to focus on a single point of perspective, the perspective is all over the place on all of the buildings. Especially the barns

other than that looks cool

-Daz
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/KnightStar05/po-ta-toes.gif << It's the potatoes, go on watch it you know you wanna

This is a background thats ben redesigned from the background at http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=13218

I had to redesign it because when working out puzzles I needed the hut on top of a mountain kind of thing. and also i wanted the Museum to look more old and 'CMI Looking'

So here it is

I need advice on how to improve them so I can get them the best they can possibly be :D

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for all the advice. I've had to remake the background for various reasons so you can see the improved version here
http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=13262;start=0#lastPost
Be sure to go give some help there:P

Daz

i think you could shade the door on the house in the foreground a bit more because it looks like it is flat against the wall.

but it looks 10 times better than the last

- Daz
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/KnightStar05/po-ta-toes.gif << It's the potatoes, go on watch it you know you wanna

Ok.. One shaded door (now with a handle!)

Anything else?

Also what do you think of the smoke on that house in the background..? Do you think it looks right how it suddenly just feathers off

Chicky

I liked this background, but i was sure it was missing somthing...

depth and detail, your image has practially no shadows and no obvious light source. Its too hard to put this into words so i did a QUICK edit..

basically i added strong shadows, a little more detail, darkened the forground, and sorted out slight perspective problems.

sorry about the crappy edit, editing flash pictures in PSP doesnt really work.

-OSC

Luvin the edit.. Nexty on my agenda will be to add shadows and paths then...

I'll get too it...

Some qusetions about your edit though...

Why'd you add that weird houde thing in the middle?
Quoteno obvious light source
I'd say the sun is a pretty obvious light source

Other than that I'll take in your edits and make a new versio nand post it here, I'll darken the foreground but only slightly.. not to the extent you have:P

Chicky

hehe, i didnt notice the sun :P

yeh, i just thought an extra house would make the scene look a bit more interesting.

i dunno it was just a suggestion

-OSC

This is what I love about the critics lounge :P I feel the backgrounds progressed well...

Version 3
I added a shadow to the building and paths so you have a clear idea of where you leave and enter and where you can and can't go...

So just tell me what you think I should improve.. or remove next.. lol... I'll put a demo level of this on the net hopefully when its complete

Andail

There's no need for two threads when showing the progress of one picture, so I've merged them back together.

It has progressed well, at least :)
The image is much more composed now, and makes more sense as a background. You have taken care of obvious glitches and added nice details.
I'd recommend making the sky more interesting. The clouds and the sun either have gotta go or get a remake. Make the clouds more individual, you're not gonna make a gameboy rpg are you? Try making them in other colours, and definitely add some nice soft colour to the sun.
Also I think you're ready to get rid of the gradients and work with more well-defined shadows. That style would definitely gain more from cartoonistic, plain fields of colour than all the dogde and burn and smear and whatnot :)

Anyhow, good job so far.

Scarpia

Very good job indeed. I really like this one!!

However I think there should be a shade on the left side wall of the house, given that the sunlight somes from behind. Just like the shadow cast on the grass, the wall itself should be darker on this side.

Also, from a user's perspective, it seems odd that there is no road leading to the castle-balancing-on-a-cliff on the horizon. I assume it's because they can't reach it from here, but that is very ambiguous to the player. You could place some sort of obvious obstacle in front of it, or just make it look less 'highlighted' (less saturated / a bit further away, etc.).

Other than that, I think the only thing left to touch would be ground detail, especially the paths. Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Have fun

/Scarpia
Scarpia "The Majestic"
Supreme creator of { junk dot dk } and Application of Puzzle Theory

Thanks Andail for joining the threads Its a hot topic now :D

So heres Version .. I think i'm up to 4...

QuoteYou could place some sort of obvious obstacle in front of it (Castle In Background
Done - Added Mean looking Spikes :P
QuoteI'd recommend making the sky more interesting
Done - I redid the clouds to make them more my own style and added a kind of glow to the sun and some color
QuoteOther than that, I think the only thing left to touch would be ground detail, especially the paths
Done- Added Texture to Path

Keep the advice coming.. This should be perfect!!!!! PERFECT I SAY!! MWAHAHAHA.... *Choke*Medcine*choke*Now*choke* *Erk*

Also.. I've just realised that for whatever reason ... I deleted the text on the sign.. Will add that in soon... Suprised no-one noticed that.

12431 at school

even though it's supposed to look CMI, it wouldn't hurt to include some perspective. aight?

good job so far

Gilbert

Hmmmm, I think the shadow casted from the house shouldn't cover up the grass and the (green) flower(?) on the lower left corner.

auhsor

Its looking really cool. I like how its progressed.
Some things:
*Yeah as Gilbot said, the shadow shouldnt cover the grass at front.
*I dont know how your drawing this, but some parts look pretty blurry, like the trees in the foreground, and that annoys me.
* The clouds should be more white, unless you want them orange for some reason in your game.
* The mountans probably should continue more on the right to the end of screen
*More detail would be nice on the grass, as its a little plain.

Well, anyways, theres my thoughts. Good work.

The tree and grass are blurred because there in the foreground I i dont think I should draw attention away from where 'the action' is happening.

Anyhoo I'm working on an edit and will get back to yous ASAP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk