What's your favourite GAME?

Started by Wormmaster, Fri 23/04/2004 11:41:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordhoban

RPG:Fallout 1 and 2... I love these games. Great sense of style, addictive, best combat system for an RPG ever. Worthy mentions include Balder's Gate 1/2 and Arcanum.
SHOOTER (1st person): Deus Ex... while it has RPG elements, it still is at its heart a first person shooter, and remains the only FPS game (besides its dissapointing sequel) I've ever beaten without the use of cheats or at all. I usually enjoy FPSs to an extent, but get bored playing them after awhile. There has never been another FPS to match it, and with the way things are going, never will be.
Best action game of all time: Crusader: No Remorse... With the way its levels are put together, to the story, everything about this game is magic. From the very first moment I played it without even knowing the controls (It was on a computer at a now long defunct computer store), I was addicted. Worthy mention is its sequel, No Regret.
Simulator: Tie Fighter CD-ROM... Fun, and great to be able to fly the various Tie ships.

magintz

Hmm, probably best if I list mine per genre. I'll try to think and keep only 1 per category.

RPG - Chrono Trigger
Great game made for the SNES with a followup sequal called Chrono Cross, which I could never find to buy as it was only a US/Japanese release. Chrono Trigger basicaaly is a game about time travel and is a turn-based RPG. The story itself is amazing and will keep you gripped, and the characters have their own individual personalities as well which is good.

Other games worth a mention in this category: Star Wars - Knights of the Old Repulic, Baldur's Gate, Silver and Golden Sun.

FPS - Call of Duty
I know a lot of people will say "CoD, Really?, why not Half Life 2?" Well to be honest although Half-Life 2 and Counterstrike are good games, I just loved Call of Duty, both the single player and even more so the multiplayer. There were close seconds such as Unreal Tournament, but Call of Duty was about the first FPS I really got addicted to, I think I played it almost constantly one summer.

Other games worth a mention in this category: Counterstrike, Half Life 2, Unreal Tournament, Doom.

Sport - Virtua Tennis
Highly addictive game on the Dreamcast (I think it was also on PS2), I could sit and play for ages because it was so easy to play, yet challenging to beat opponents as you progresssed.

Other games worth a mention in this category: Need for Speed Underground

Fighting - Dragonball Z Budokai
I've played many game sin this genre including Street Fighter, Capcom Vs SNK and Soul Calibur, but I haven't really enjoyed any of them. Budokai was a mixture of nicely combined special moves, with cartoon graphics. Very fun and about the only game in this genre I like.

Other games worth a mention in this category: None

Adventure - Monkey Island 2
I could talk for hours about how this game got everything spot on, and why it is better than all the other Monkey Islands, and all the other adventure games. What I really liked about this was that it kept everything witty, had a unique story-line and was piratey. There was also the free roaming aspect of travelling to any of the three islands at will, kinda of like a early version of GTA gone Caribbean.

Other games worth a mention in this category: Beneath a Steel Sky, Sam and Max, Broken Sword and Grim Fandango.

Simulation - Rollercoaster Tycoon
This game was great, I've played things like RCT 2 and 3, but 1 was the best and most addictive for me. There were similar things such as Theme Park, but had very limited ride construction tools. I've also played many god sims such as Black and White and Settlers, but I enjoy building rollercoasters and RCT is the most fun I've had from any simulation game.

Other games worth a mention in this category: Settlers 3, Black and White, Theme Hospital and Sim City 4.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

nihilyst

My personal favorites:

FPS/Action in gerenal:
Half-Life
Max Payne 1/2

(Action)Adventure:
The Colonel's Bequest
Monkey Island 2/3
Full Throttle (not because it's really good; it kick's ass)
Outcast

Strategy
Dune 2
Command & Conquer 1/2
The Settlers 2

"Sports"
Road Rash

Simulation
Theme Park
The Sims 1/2
Alter Ego

RPG/Hack & Slay
Final Fantasy 7 (it's mind-blowing)
Diablo 2
Baldur's Gate
Albion

rharpe

I believe the question was: "What's your favourite GAME?" (this would mean singular or one game.)  ;)

I would have to go with an old classic that started adventure gaming for me = Hero's Quest: So You Want to be a Hero, by Sierra On-line. (The EGA version!)

Yes, I'm an old man, 30 this November. And I love the classics!  ;D
"Hail to the king, baby!"

AlbinoPanther

Quote from: rharpe on Fri 12/08/2005 03:49:05
Yes, I'm an old man, 30 this November. And I love the classics!Ã,  ;D

I have 19 years and i played all Lucas arts and Sierra games including Hero's quest.We don't think that age have something with playing adventures(age of adventure game and adventure gamer)
If somebody find that graphic is too lousy for him then he lose a grate ammount of hours in front of monitor.
http://www.abandonia.com
And answer to the question is Monkey island 1 most original of them all.
Syberia gratest story(new games included only)

nihilyst

Quote from: rharpe on Fri 12/08/2005 03:49:05
I believe the question was: "What's your favourite GAME?" (this would mean singular or one game.)  ;)

But I won't choose ONE best game througout all genres. There are many games that I like very much, and each one is special, but not the best.

Ubel

Quote from: nihilyst on Sun 14/08/2005 17:25:36
each one is special, but not the best.

Except for FF7. It's special AND the best.

Mr Flibble

Well I like FF9 but I can majorly understand your point, since FF7 is much longer ansd much more RPGish.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Nikolas

Let's see now.

Bard's Tale 1
Imposible mission

I still play the first one, and about the second one, I just remembered how much I loved playing it when I found it in the Underdogs...

Well that's two, but what can you do, there are so many more.

magintz

I still think it's very hard to choose just ONE game, when all genre's are different. I like some games eqully, some more than others, but I doubt I could choose just one game to be my favourite, as depending on my mood I may choose something like Grand Theft Auto over Monkey Island.

At the moment my favourite game would be World of Warcraft, but then again it is about the only game I'm playing apart from the first Need for Speed Underground, which in itself is reasonably fun and I can just load up and play instantly.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

RyRayer

GTA Vice City. Because this game has many genres together, like my favorite genres DRIVING and RPG. Adventure is my third favorite, otherwise I wouldn't be here, making my own AGS games.

Tuomas

Ha :D It's always been Bubble Bobble and it always will be

Corey

Ever since UT (unreal tournament) came out in 99 it has bin my favorit game  :)
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

T_ed89

Well, I must say Full Throttle and...Zelda ocarina of time!

Corey

I like zelda too but it cant compare with UT  :D
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend

Ubel

Zelda and UT belong to two different game genres so it's quite obvious they can't compare with each other.

Corey

thought there is a Zelda ocarina of time UT level  :)
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend

syke39

Silent hill 1 2 and 3.  (Scary as hell and a great example of how to do atmosphere).

System shock 2.  (Again a fantastic story and a great rpg).

Wizardry 8.  (Old but gold).

Soul reaver 2.  (Even though the legacy of kain games had game play issues the scale and depth of the story was awsome).

Domino

Quote from: strange derby on Fri 16/09/2005 16:44:18
Silent hill 1 2 and 3.  (Scary as hell and a great example of how to do atmosphere).

Amen my friend. Too bad SH4 was such a stinker (in my opinion).  Silent Hill 2 was the best of the series.

Shawn

IM NOT TEH SPAM

Quest for glory four... Not only did it add together the epic heroism of the Paladin, the strength and willpower of the Fighter, the Mastery of the Wizard, and the trickery of the thief, but combined some of the classic QFG 1 2 & 3 humor.  Plus the fight system was kickass, as each character with their own badass special power to use against the monsters.  (The thieves acrobatic attack, the paladin's sword and shield, the fighters axe  and the wizards huge ass spells)
(posted before by Lord_Nipper, who is also my account, but is unused because I forgot the password)

Edit:  I'll have to add in Myst and Riven,  both with great puzzles, great plotlines, and ending beautifully.
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk