The Artifact - demo

Started by j-Hed, Mon 26/04/2004 14:36:26

Previous topic - Next topic

j-Hed

:)

The playable demo is now here.

Damien, I don't know how many years it will take to finish the whole game hehe to be honest I think you are better off downloading this one.

Or if you have a friend with higherspeed connection maybe he can burn it on cd for ya ;).

Thanks!

j-Hed

Updated the demo!

Fixed some sound problems.

Please tell me if some bugs appear.

Hope you like it!

Darth Mandarb

Please don't double post.

Are the screenshots in Opo Terser's post (from page 1), current and accurate from this game?

The first post (thanks for editting) only has one picture (which is HUGE by the way - you might consider resizing that) and doesn't look like a screenshot.Ã,  The Games in Production Forum Rules require a minimum of two in-game screenshots.

Please update the first post with at least 2 in-game screenshots (if Opo's post isn't accurate).

The graphics look good.Ã,  When I have some time later I'll DL and give you some feedback.

Edit - I wasn't trying to be harsh ...

Chicky

J-hed your game rocks, the demo has improved soo much since the beta  i played a while back. This demo is REALLY worth the download time guys, this things near professional quality! J-hed i love your art style and the atmosphere's just perfect! I wish you all the luck with the game, you MUST finish it.

Dont let this thread die, this game is truely worth recognision.

j-Hed

I cannot thank you enough Chicken!

And you have also helped me so much with the game, beta-testing and debugging etc. Thought everyone should know ;)

And sorry Darth it was clumsy of me double post etc. but Opo's screenshots are accurate so I don't see any reason to delete that reply.

Thanks and enjoy!

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: j-Hed on Wed 15/09/2004 22:49:37And sorry Darth it was clumsy of me double post etc. but Opo's screenshots are accurate so I don't see any reason to delete that reply.
No worries about the double post.Ã,  Since Opo's screens are still the 'real' deal, it's all good.

I downloaded it, but I can't seem to open it.Ã,  It gives me some kind of Engine Error : Runtime Error or something ...

Is there a possibility of a zipped version in the future?Ã,  I'd like to try it out.

Goldmund

Very nice backgrounds, although I'd gladly give away 8-10 walk-frames to make the guy move faster.
I'm interested how many frames do you need to create such smooth animations?

Also:
Spoiler
The death after eaves-dropping by the door was too sudden, I didn't know I had any control before being shot by the villains. Does the demo get much longer than that? (meaning: is it worth replaying to see something new)
[close]

I love the "mini-games" you included, like the one with the keyhole and the one with wiping dirt.Ã,  It enlivens the gameplay greatly.

Ozwalled

Quote from: GarageGothic on Sun 02/05/2004 18:49:32
What's the name of the program you're using? Poser is the only complete character creation/animation package I'm familiar with.

I'm not sure you answered this yet. I'm also curious about program was used for making the characters.

GarageGothic

Quote from: Ozwalled on Thu 16/09/2004 00:09:11I'm not sure you answered this yet. I'm also curious about program was used for making the characters.

I know the answer, I know the answer. But it's a secret ;)

Looking forward to playing the demo. Even more so after hearing other people's response.

Chicky

Hah! excellent! try typing 'hello' into the notepad and then use it on the kid. Or try typing 'get keys', i love it. I take it this is the free solving option, well i didnt use it to finish the game anyway.:)

Elianto

I'd like to know which software you used... please  :=

j-Hed

Wow thanks everyone for the lovely feedback!

Darth- the problem why you can't play it is possibly because you tried the winsetup file first, am I right?
The solution is to rename the "artifact-dm.exe"-file to "boat_4jh.exe". Hope that helps :)

Hehe the program I use for the character is the same GarageGothic use ;)

Thanks alot Goldmund. I will update the demo soon so that the options menu works correctly (including speed).

Hehe good thing you found out how to use the notebook Chicken, but for now you can only use it with the kid...I think.

Elianto

Quote from: j-Hed on Thu 16/09/2004 14:59:50
Wow thanks everyone for the lovely feedback!

Hehe the program I use for the character is the same GarageGothic use ;)

:'( :'( :'(

Goldmund

Well, if you're up to revamping options menu, consider having a "try again" button.
After I got shot (it's sometimes frustrating that you don't know whether you can die in a game or not, and when you find out, it's usually to late) I resigned from replaying the demo because of its speed. The "try again" button would help there.
One more speed issue is when talking to the captain: it got irritating after a while how he performed an animation each time before answering.

The setting and notepad reminded me of Murder on Mississipi (and also Cruise for a Corpse). Any inspiration in these games?

j-Hed

I will make the speed changeable soon, so I hope the update will be implemented in a few days (that depends on my job=time). And yes the demo is longer after the "you get shot" -scene.

I don't understand exacly what you mean with a "try again" -button, is it like an automatic save function?

Hmm Murder on Mississipi I haven't seen that one is it a game or a movie?
I have only played "Tom Cruise for a corpse" a few minutes and that was in -92 when it first came out :)

But I guess we (j-hed & A-hed) are quite inspired by Tintin and also Broken Sword.

Elianto- hehe if you check the earlier posts on this topic you can see that GarageGothic uses Poser 5, just like I ;)

prowler

..also, the question about the number of frames in the animations... ?

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: j-Hed on Thu 16/09/2004 14:59:50Darth- the problem why you can't play it is possibly because you tried the winsetup file first, am I right?
I didn't even get that far ... when I try to un-rar it ... I don't know the term.

When I double click the .rar icon, Stuffit opens up and it then gives that error.Ã,  I might just need to dl a new version of Stuffit or something ...

Barbarian

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 16/09/2004 22:13:29
Quote from: j-Hed on Thu 16/09/2004 14:59:50Darth- the problem why you can't play it is possibly because you tried the winsetup file first, am I right?
I didn't even get that far ... when I try to un-rar it ... I don't know the term.

When I double click the .rar icon, Stuffit opens up and it then gives that error.Ã,  I might just need to dl a new version of Stuffit or something ...

Hiya Darth. If you're looking for a new uncompressor/extractor utility, a good, and free, utility that I use for uncompressing most common formats (Zip, Rar, Arj ,etc...) is IZarc over at:
http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm

It can also easily compress files for you into a format such as Zip.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

j-Hed

WinRAR is also a good one, it can unzip all formats I believe. I think you can get it from download.com.
It's free of course :)

j-Hed

The Artifact - demo is now on the "Games main page / demos" if someone is up for some voting or downloadingÃ,  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk