AGS: Can I Make an RPG with AGS?

Started by TerranRich, Mon 03/05/2004 05:56:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Disthron

Hello every one

I've been thinking about making a sort of RPG game with ages. My basic idear is to alow the player to "live" in the wourld for as long as thay wished. While still having a task to compleat.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to generate randome quests based on a nomber of templats. like one template could be to rescue a person or to find an item.

about the battle system you guys were talking about, I've always thought the one in Quest For Glory was realy good.

Moox

Im making one like runescape. neverwinter nights, and diablo currently Edwinxie

Disthron, You could script all the quests and use random to pick one

Edwin Xie

Umm, making one like runescape, neverwinter nights and diablo doesn't mean it has to be the exact same thing.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Disthron

LostTraveler : Could you use the random funktion to.... let's say put a random pre-defined charecter in a room.

Also could you use the random function to change the destination of a door way. Like if you maid a buntch of rooms that all fit together and so you can swop and change them?

Moox

Im not to sure about the char, but im currently making a random dungeon generator that swaps rooms

Use the random command and new room ex command

Disthron

that's interesting LostTraveler. Are you planing to randomly generate the dungen as the player gows (so that the dungen will change) or are you going to generate the dungen before the player gets there. (so that all the rooms stay in place)?

Moox

Pancho

If wanna make RPG games, you should use programs for make RPG's like RPG maker 2000 or RPG maker Advanced...

JD

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/jjj.dekker/rpg.rar Something me and Chrille made a long time ago. It's an rpg (just a start though) and it's a bit like those old console RPGs. You can walk around, and encounter random monsters and fight them. It just shows it is possible to make it in ags :)

Akumayo

i have succesfully completed a battle system in AGS.  I used an object that changes sprite slots to show your enemy.  And it is a one man RPG, so that makes things easier ;D.  I ran the attack commands through a GUI.  When the GUI is on, you chose your attack, and then the GUI script handles the damage, sounds, and overlays.
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

RaNDoM

Hmm, interesting topic... but AGS misses a tile engine, which would make the map creation easier... i wonder if it's possible to make a plugin to implement the tile engine...

Gilbert

You can make a tile engine with rawdraw yourself.

RaNDoM

Thanks, I didn't think about it... Actually, at the moment I don't know the rawdraw functions and their possible applications. Maybe I'll work on it soon...

Gord10

Hello :) I'm also working on a RPG with AGS. I've made the battle script. The weapons and the magics are inventory items, and you use them on the hotspots.
if (ahmet == 0) {   
   NewRoom(12); 
      }   
ahmet -= 3;
PlaySound(1);
Display("You hit the monster."); 
Display("The monster's health reduced 3 units");
GiveScore(-2);
PlaySound(2);
PlaySound(3);
Display("The monster hit you and your health reduced 2 units");

"ahmet" is the health of the monster you fight.
But I have a problem. I want the mana and exp. info be written on the GUI. They are GlobalInt. The HP can be showed in the status GUI, because it's the game score. (@SCORE@)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

mousemat

i want to make an rpg but i have no idea were to start. maybe the next upgraded ags should have a battle making system.
Oh yer moon walkin'
www.freewebs.com/bkreview/

Mr Jake

it already has... its called coding

Edwin Xie

Can't @score@ be your HP? Or would the game end after your HP is full?
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

mousemat

it already has... its called coding

......without coding
Oh yer moon walkin'
www.freewebs.com/bkreview/

Kinoko

This is a really phenominal task if you think about it. There is no one kind of "battle system". There aren't even a couple of types, and within any types you can define, there are tonnes of variables/differences/etc in the way they work. This is why Hotspot said, "Coding". The only way to do it without using a completely generic battle system is to sit down, think about how you want it to work, and then work out how to code it yourself.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that this is an adventure game engine, and we can't expect CJ to go to such an extent for people who want to try their hand at RPGs.

If you don't mind using a generic battle system then, your only option is to wait for someone else to release a template with their own, really.

Coding a battle system is frustrating (I'm doing one myself) but it's really worth it to see it working and know it's your own. For example, I'm trying to make mine taking all the individual components of other battle systems I've come across that I liked best and putting them all together. Hopefully, it'll work out well.

Mr Jake

Yes, what I meant to say is, this IS an Adventure engine so we cant expect CJ to make a duel RPG/adventure engine.. If you want a battle system learn to code it or wait for someone to realease a plugin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk