AGS: Can I Make an RPG with AGS?

Started by TerranRich, Mon 03/05/2004 05:56:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Quote from: tanito0 on Sat 04/04/2009 14:09:00
Could you help me? I'd like to make a limited space inventory. And also, how could I make my character have more than one of the same item?

More than one of the same item is simple, just set "display inventory items multiple times" in the general settings pane.

And for a limited space inv, I usually recommend this module:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=28177.0, which gives you a Diablo2-style, gridbased inv. Few remember it, but it works very well.

tanito0

;) for your solutions, I'll make good use of them.
Pixelado

krishaw

I might be a little late to the party on this topic but RPG maker VX (go to www.phanxgames.com) makes great looking RPGs, is very easy to use and if you don't like writing your own script, you have the choice to just use a simple Ruby script program where you just have simple "turn switch on" or "add variable" without any real script (or you could just script yourself).

I sound like a bot don't I?
* *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* End of Cheese Error
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Can Not Find Drive Z:
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Unknown Application Error
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Please Reboot Universe
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Year Of The Sloth *Blip* *Blip* *Blip*
    * ++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

Khris

You rather sound like you're missing the point of this thread... ;)

krishaw

Yeah I know but I'mjust saying that rather than complicating it with making an RPG with an adventure game studio, it would make more sense to make an RPG with an rpg studio.
* *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* End of Cheese Error
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Can Not Find Drive Z:
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Unknown Application Error
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Please Reboot Universe
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Year Of The Sloth *Blip* *Blip* *Blip*
    * ++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

.M.M.

I think it´s good idea to write it here, because there are many people who wants to do an RPG without scripting and RPG maker could be solution. I have tried it, too, but I am accustomed with AGS.  ;)

bush_monkey

I created an RPG with AGS and having played about with RPG maker and its ilk before, I can tell you that AGS is a far better tool for it. Not wanting to start a flame war or anything but the RPG-centric creation tools are just too narrow-minded and it is very hard to create something unique or original. AGS is far more flexible.

On another note, I am currently working on a tutorial for creating a RPG with AGS. Watch this space...   

Trent R

Indeed. As the first post says, it very possible and we've seen a lot in the past. But if you're not willing to put in the work, RPGMaker is an excellent solution (though to say there's nothing unique is too much. I just started playing Exit Fate, and I love it!)

Also, I'm excited to see your tut bush_monkey. It'd be good to have another one, since newbies seem to gravitate to it like it's the Holy Grail of AGS/RPG Tutorials, despite it being very old and mediocre (but better than nothing)

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

bush_monkey

Here is the first part of my RPG tutorial:

http://opinionsandcreations.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ags-rpg-tutorial-part-one

Part 2 will be up this evening. I hope some of you find it useful.

bush_monkey

part three of the RPG tutorial is now up as well:

http://opinionsandcreations.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ags-rpg-tutorial-part-three

Hi guys, sorry I haven't uploaded part four yet, I was having problems with my internet connection. Part four will be up later on today.

bush_monkey

Part four of the tutorial is now up:

http://opinionsandcreations.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ags-rpg-tutorial-part-four

I have also rectified an error in part 3: References to globalint 53 should have been globalint 1, sorry if this stumped anyone  :P

Part five will be up tomorrow. 

Trent R

As of this posting, the linked thread is only minutes old. But the question was how to change backgrounds from day to night like Quest For Glory. Since this is a stickied thread, I figured I past the link here so it wouldn't be lost--and because it's super relevent to AGS RPGs.
Colour Cycling of day and night

~Trent
PS-Bush_monkey, I've only looked at Part 1 so far, and it looks pretty interesting. However, I'd be careful not to quad-post and start editing your posts. Image
PSS-I'm not a mod, just some friendly advice. :)
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

bush_monkey

Thanks Trent R, I just wasn't sure whether 4 posts days apart should be in the same window or not. Consider this post my placeholder for all future parts of the tutorial  ;D

Part 5 will be up later today and is easily the most complex part of the tutorial.

Khris

bush_monkey, while I appreciate the effort, it should be noted that you're using GlobalInts and even old style code, both of which are long obsolete.
You're also using a variable width font without indentations for the code snippets.

So, while I still do appreciate the work you're putting into this, teaching people unclean, obsolete code might do more harm than good.

I'm always a bit sceptical of the various tutorials floating around here in general since they usually contain small flaws, so don't take my opinion as the one of the forum.
But I think that a text that teaches people how to code an RPG should at least use OO code, with it being around since AGS 2.7 I believe.

bush_monkey

Hi KhrisMUC, I did think about this when I started but as I mentioned in the tutorial, the game the tutorial is based on was started before AGS 2.71 was released.

Whilst I am a big advocate of OO programming (being a C# programmer by trade), I did not want to write a tutorial in AGS 3.1 as I have not used AGS 3.1 yet.

I do think my tutorial will still serve as a good starting point for anyone wanting to create an AGS RPG . Some of the code might be obsolete but the underlying methodology is still correct.

As I am quite far in the tutorial, I don't really want to change the code at this time but if there is enough demand, I will create a 3.1 version of the code at a later date. 

As for the indentation, I've become lazy from Intellisense  :P I will amend the tutorials to make them cleaner.

HammerBlade

You are right about the underlying methodology of your tutorial; it's almost a carbon copy of the coding style I've adopted for the FF ATB-system rip-off I'm working on.  

Although your methods are a LOT less convoluted than mine (that's what you get when you make up standards for your code as you write it I guess  ::))

I'm tempted to volunteer to rewrite your tutorial to be AGS 3.1 compliant, if not for my excessive use of #define, export and import which might be regarded as poor programming practice.  (I tend to put incrementor variable declarations on the same line as while loops.  The scandal!)

bush_monkey

Actually HammerBlade, the reason why I haven't posted in a while is because I was foolish enough to try and redo the tutorial frm scratch in 3.1. This is taking me forever  :P

I have a semi-complete tutorial on the battle system for AGS 2.6 which I will tidy up and post soon.

HammerBlade

Alrighty then, if you're already on top of it, I see no reason to interfere.   :=

bush_monkey

Part 5 of my RPG tutorial is now up:

http://opinionsandcreations.ning.com/profiles/blogs/ags-rpg-tutorial-part-five

This is the hardest of all the tutorials as it discusses the battle system. I have checked it very thoroughly but if you find any mistakes, omissions or just do not understand certain parts, let me know. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk