Trans. of foreign AGS reviews - upd. 05/10/05 Sam&Max comics translation

Started by jaz, Wed 05/05/2004 10:39:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomus

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sun 10/04/2005 06:10:52
I don't think the folks at Plne Hry know about RON, or Instagame for that matter.Ã,  Their "Postman Only Dies Once" review obviously judged the game as a single entity as opposed to one in a series.Ã,  Although quite a bit of time has passed since then so who knows?

You're right, when writing the Postman Only Dies Once review, I didn't know anything about the RON world. But it's a long time and I've learned, what mysterious letters like RON or MAGS means - I was recently quite surprised only by the Maniac Mansion Mania games...

And for your orientation on the czech scene - I'm no longer reviewing adventure games on PlneHry.cz (Jaz was supposed to do this, but he failed in communication with the chief editor of the site :)), I'm now responsible for the Hrej.cz reviews (click on the green button with a sign "Plné hry" to get into the freeware section, which is my own work). But I have to warn you:
- it is a web, where many people with little knowledge of amateur games goes, so I have to write at a less deep level, that I'd like to
- it is more a database of games to download than a real critical web - if you want to read complex reviews, try PlneHry.cz or FreeGame.cz (but they don't review adventures much, till I left). You can judge from the size - 1000 letters is not very much to do deeper interpretations...

jaz

Hey, I didn't fail to communicate, I just took little more time :-) But we've come to an agreement that I will cover the AGS scene to some extent...

Dave Gilbert

Hey Tomus,

Sorry to hear that you are no longer reviewing for Plne Hry.  Even though I was unable to read the reviews, it seemed to have the most comprehensive amateur game news on the internet.  It really had its finger on the pulse of the scene.  Glad to hear you are still writing though.  Best of luck with whatever you end up doing! :)

Tomus

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sun 10/04/2005 20:02:30
Hey Tomus,

Sorry to hear that you are no longer reviewing for Plne Hry.Ã,  Even though I was unable to read the reviews, it seemed to have the most comprehensive amateur game news on the internet.Ã,  It really had its finger on the pulse of the scene.Ã,  Glad to hear you are still writing though.Ã,  Best of luck with whatever you end up doing! :)

It was my decision and I have still great relationship with the company - but money is what matters nowadays and I've got an offer I couldn't refuse, really... :)

jaz

ToaK review #2:

Dave Gilbert is very well known name amongst AGS community members and rightfully so. He has a couple of  good adventures under his belt including Postman dies only once, Bestowers of Eternity and more. All of these games have solid and catching story which is the most important thing for majority of players.

ToaK might seem lacklustre at the beginning but it doesn't mean it's a black sheep amongst other Dave's works. On the contrary it's presented in very own style and heaps of humour are truly the corner stone of the game.

There are two main characters â€" Walter twins set up a Walters & Walter detective agency andtheir first case is just behind the corner. The beginning of mysteries surrounding Bluff City lays hundreds of years ago.  At these times a meteor struck the Earth but real impacts of this were unknown for a long time. Only when the population of the area grew big enough, children with supernatural powers like invisibility started to born. This scared people and first mysterious incident happened soon. Phone rings and Walters, at the time just in the middle of  quarrel, are informed that museum has been ransacked.

They promptly rush to the scene to find out who is behind the crime. As it has already been said, the main devise of ToaK is tasteful and well presented humour. The controls are classic with panel at the bottom of the screen where you can switch between different commands like use, talk, look at walk etc.

It also has been mentioned that this game has been developed in handy AGS program. Some have certain reservations regarding AGS but many great adventure games clearly show these people are wrong.

ToaK is one of shiniest AGS pearls and no hardcore adventurer should miss this one, it would certainly be a big pitty.

Scummbuddy

If someone could give a panel by panel translation, I wouldn't mind photoshoping the English version on it. Well, that is, if it's interesting.

Also, I couldn't find anymore of these adventure comics on the site, even though it says its #3.
http://www.adventurecorner.de/comics/fan_adventure_03.jpg
-----
Plus, theres an article that mentions AGS when deciding on an adventure engine here:
http://www.softgames.de/developia/viewarticle.php?cid=19054
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

jaz

Well, I can give this comics a shot. The truth is I never learned German but I caught a few words here and there. In case some German speaking person reads this, feel free to correct it:

Here we are!

And what now?

Lets ask the cardboard box guy over there

Hey, you, we have a question.

He looks like Brad Pitt with no charm.

My linty partner and me are looking for a videogame to compensate brutality of our brutal weekdays.

Preferably an adventure game.

Well, yeah, we have for example "Riddick", "Silent Hill 4", "Half life 2" or "My Horeseyard", of course provided you are over 18.

And how about some adventure games, please?

We don'carry such a stuff.

You sure have something. A "classic" adventure.

Ah, I am also one of THESE customers. In that case I have something just for you.

The new Larry'sequel. 8th. instalment of a "classic" series.

7th instalment

Hmm, or is it 8th after all? Never mind.

Can I, Sam? Can I?

Make me proud, Shorty!

How was it once again? Don't make us assholes!

sovka

A few corrections:

Quote from: jaz
Lets ask the cardboard box guy over there

"Let's ask the nominal member over there."

My linty partner and me are looking for a videogame to compensate brutality of our brutal weekdays.

"My linty partner and me are looking for a videogame to compensate our brutal every day lifes."

And how about some adventure games, please?

"Ever heard of point and click? Very well then!"

Don't make us assholes!

The punchline is a reference to a german ad campaign (by Media Markt, hence the first picture) and quite hard to translate. Here's a discussion about it.

I guess it would be something like:

"Don't get ripped off, nana!"

EDIT: You're welcome, jaz. Translating is hard though, had to remove some mistakes from my "corrections"...

Vince Twelve

I know this thread is old'd but, if anyone can tranlate czech, I'd love to know what this and this say so I can post translations on my website.  Thanks.

Gord10

I'm sorry for necroposting this thread (and as even Anna's review's translation wasn't made yet).
But I'm so curious what is written here: http://www.hrej.cz/novinky/2006/6/14/jakou-podobu-bude-mit-nakonec-lost-in-the-nightmare-2/
This is not a review, but a new about my game. I can see it is about an announcement I made a while ago (as it mentions the gameplay time being 2-3 hours or 30 mins). But I really wonder the fulltext in a crazy way. (I'm sorry if I sound too excited, but I am so...)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

KANDYMAN-IAC

can someone please translate this?? http://www.hernisvet.cz/index.php?page=hry_free&page2=zobrazit&id_hry=0000001166

i've tired to do it myself by czech online translaters just create jibberish.
"Don't lose the bluecups they may be our only hope....!!1!!!1"

"I'm jealous of all of you guys, which means. I love your work, I just hate you as a person.... wait thats not right."

ManicMatt

Okay this is an old thread, but I'm hoping the subject matter means I'm okay to bring it up..?

I'd be really grateful! :)

http://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/adventura/2d-adventura/secrets/

I have this feeling it's a bad review, with those 3/10 and 4.5/10 ratings for something, but my curiousity is strong!

Thanks!

Le Woltaire

Hi,

I discovered the site recently and I'm really curious as well what they've written.

http://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/adventura/3d-adventura/masters-of-sound/

http://pc.hrej.cz/plne-hry/adventura/2d-adventura/earl-bobby/

If somebody could translate this...
Thank you in advance...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk