Frank the Farmhand Part 2 - RELEASED!!!!

Started by fovmester, Wed 05/05/2004 14:35:40

Previous topic - Next topic

rtf

Here's just a tiny bit of crit from me.

All of your characters have black outlines.  I'm fine with that normally, except it strays from the backgroud style.  I'd suggest turning the black outlines into a darker version of the main color, just to stay with the style of the backgrouds.
You don't have to, just a suggestion. ;)

Anyway, this game looks so awesome.  I am drooling in anticipation!
How big do you tink it's going to be?
I fail at art.

fovmester

That's a good point, but as I pointed out before, I wanted at least some parts of the game to look the same as part 1. The black outlines on the characters and objects fall in that category, unfortunally.

I too think it'd look better to have coloured outlines but to change all character animation at this point would take WAY more work than it's worth. So I'm sad to say: the black outlines stays on the characters.

It's not completely amateur to have black outlined characters, though ;). Take the Gooblins-games by Coktel Vision for example. They all had black outlines on their characters and they're commerical games.

In any game I'll produce after Frank the Farmhand, though, I'll definately not have any black in the graphics. ANYWHERE!

fovmester

Update:

I've made a lot of puzzle-scripting this week. And to go with it much character animation. The game's coming together nicely now as the different rooms get interlocked by puzzles and characters.

Progress:

10 rooms made (of 17)
7 new characters made (of 10)
Two new songs since last update.

splat44

Quote from: fovmester on Tue 07/09/2004 14:37:09
Update:

I've made a lot of puzzle-scripting this week. And to go with it much character animation. The game's coming together nicely now as the different rooms get interlocked by puzzles and characters.

Progress:

10 rooms made (of 17)
7 new characters made (of 10)
Two new songs since last update.

Hi fovmester,

Thank you for the update and it surely coming along fairly quickly. Looking forward to this game.

fovmester

Thank you! :D

I've got a lot to do in school right now, but so far I've managed to work on FtF2 really much. I really hope that won't change.  My girlfriend's going out with her friends tonight and my friends're busy so I've got a whole evening and night to work on the game today!! Wheee! ;) That'll hopefully kick things forward a bit more.

fovmester

PROGRESS REPORT:

11 ROOMS MADE (OF 20)
10 rooms made (of 17)
8 new characters made (of 10)
One cutscenebackground and some objectgraphics has been finished.

The total number of rooms has been changed from 17 to 20 because I realised I couldn't reuse the same background for four different rooms (If you don't understand how I could've ever thought so then know that you'll see why when you play the finished game).

Here's a new screenie:

Some might've seen it in the critics lounge before, but you haven't seen that new character.

prowler

the background is cool but that new character looks really weird. maybe he's a contorsionist? ;)

Draygonia_Advanced

WHOA, GOOD JOB! I must say, I wish you would help me make my game, your backgrounds are awsome!

fovmester

Quote from: prowler on Wed 29/09/2004 22:17:19
the background is cool but that new character looks really weird. maybe he's a contorsionist? ;)

What's a contorsionist?

Krazy

Quote from: fovmester on Thu 30/09/2004 06:39:24
Quote from: prowler on Wed 29/09/2004 22:17:19

What's a contorsionist?

Someone who can bend their body into many postitions normal people can't
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

prowler

yep, it looks as if the lower part of the body is facing one direction, and the upper part, the opposite direction

fovmester

Ok, I can see what you all mean. I've changed the direction of his rightleg (the leg that's on the right for him) so it won't look as if he's bending impossibly. Thanks for the feedback! :)

fovmester

Late update on progress:

Still 11 ROOMS MADE (OF 20) but 7 sketches of rooms made too.
9 new characters made (of 10) - Just one more to make and animate.
3 cutscene-movies (of 4) made.

Phew! Some busy weeks! I've done three cutscenemovies and another cutscene with a lot of animation. I've done another character and done a lot of puzzlescripting. Now you can complete about 4/5 of the game from start to end with all animation and all puzzles working as they should. That I've still got 9 roombackgrounds left to do doesn't mean that I'm far from finished(They're pretty basic and since I've done the sketches it's mostly colouring left.)

On the contrary I'm starting to feel the finishline drawing close. I've done most of the work already. The things left to do is mostly these 9 backgrounds as well as finishing the introduction, one more character and one additional cutscene. Then we're done! Then it's beta-testing time! Actually I've already given this 4/5-version to one of my friends and he's tested it for bugs. His feedback got me to change two puzzles to make them more challenging. I don't want the game to be to easy ;).

splat44

Great work,

It seem to be coming along well.

Keep it up.

fovmester

Since this topic has fallen way down the forum I just thought I should tell everyone that I'm still alive, and that I'm still working on the game. I've had a few REALLY though months in school but now it's over and so I've got about three weeks to work on FtF Part 2.

Progress:

12 ROOMS MADE (OF 21) but 9 sketches of rooms made too.
3 cutscene-movies (of 4) made.

I'm now working on room number 13!

fovmester

Completed background number 13:

What do you think?

Mats Berglinn

Nice, very nice.
I can't wait to play this game. By the way, how many parts will there be of Frank the Farmhand? Is this one going to show the end or is it a middle chapter or what?

fovmester

This is the "middle chapter". There will in other words be three parts.

These parts aren't separate though, in the sense that they are all parts of ONE big storyline. Therefore I'll recommend playing and completing the first part before playing the second. Or you won't understand why things happens the way they do in part 2.

fovmester

Big Update!

Now my christmasbreak has ended and school's started again. So let's round up what's been happening the last four weeks.

I've done A LOT of roomscripting and animated several long animation-sequences. I drew background 13-18 and made a lot of dialogs and bugfixing. I've actually been working almost full workingdays on the game for the last two weeks and it shows, because it's almost complete now. Ok, I still have one more rooms to do, and one scene with a lot of animation (ending scene maybe?), but most of the game-making is now behind me and hopefully I will have time to finish the game despite having much schoolwork to do.

18 ROOMS MADE (OF 19). The last is a handmade sketch as of now.
4 cutscene-movies (of 4) made.

About release-date: I don't have the guts to give a specific release-date yet. Mostly because I do this in my sparetime (and I don't know when I'll have sparetime) and there might be popping up a lot of bugs that needs fixing before I can release it. But keep your eyes open! Especially if you want to beta-test!

The latest background:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk