Large Background for C&C :D

Started by .., Thu 06/05/2004 19:16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Here is a background I've made.. It IS a progression from the backgrounds a while back, but I decided to make a new post cos this is a completely different style, layout and new elements.

Here is a link for people who can't be bothered to wait for it to load here

It is a very large background.. And thats after shrinking it down...

What can I improve? As you can see it uses a mixture of dodge and burn and other techniques including some (Very Subtle) gradients. What do you think?

MrColossal

1: The straight line isn't helping at all

2: why does the path pinch here?

3: this fence could really use some depth to it along with the posts.

4: is this a sconce for a torch? I think it needs much more depth to it cause it looks like a flat plane stuck on the corner of the building.

the circle in the right hand corner, ignore it, I thought you had like signed the background, hehe

the circle in the upper middle, the clouds meet the tip of the hill and blends almost perfectly with it, it needs to overlap more so bring the clouds back a little so the hills look like they're in front of the clouds.

the horizon line is crazy slanted. I noticed the same thing on another of your backgrounds, the background was totally insanely tilted.

also may I suggest darkening the shadows a touch, it's all so light that it barely looks shaded

I also made a little sketch to show how some of the problems could be fixed:

The ground dominates the background you made and it looks awkward, especially with the path, there's not enough foreshortening on the paths, I brought the viewpoint down a few feet so that there's more sky and so that the fence in the foreground becomes the foreground seperating and adding distance to the rest of the objects. [The fence post on the right is in the wrong perspective in my sketch, apparently I'm very silly and didn't watch what I was doing]

In my sketch we now have a definate foreground [fence] middleground [building and path] background [hills buildings and clouds].
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

That sketch is brilliant for a quick sketch.. i mean its better than mine and that took me a few hours

i will fix all those problems soon... Thanks for the in depth C&C.

:)

strazer

Indeed, an exemplary post, eric.

Scuthbert, could you please remove the pic from your first post and just provide a link?
It's over 500kb in file size, think of the dial-up users.
It would fix the thread width too, and I think eric's smaller version is enough for most people.

Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk