Music help...

Started by , Tue 11/05/2004 14:24:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Blane

Sorry for all the posts...I'm not THAT good...
Anyway, how do I put music in my game????
I HAVE NO IDEA!

Ashen

Blane, the answers to most of your posted questions are either in the manual, or the Web-based manual tutorials thread:

http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?topic=2252.0

As for using music in game, it depends what format (mid, wav, mp3, etc.) and how / where you want to use it.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Blane

That doesn't help.

I don't know what to put in.
Can I put it in like a character or what???

Ashen

What exactly do you want to do? Do you want to play a sound when you use something (like a CD player), or do you want to have background music playing, or what?

Ishmael

Read The Fascinating(sp?) Manual!

It's all there. See Other Features -> Music and Sound.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

TerranRich

Believe us, it's in the manual. Will somebody please take an excerpt from the manual for me? I don't have it on this (the school's) computer.

Scummbuddy

Music and sound
All good games use sound to involve and immerse the player in the game. AGS allows you to play a background music track, and also to play sound effects at appropriate times.
The Windows version of AGS supports all DirectX-compatible sound cards. The DOS version of AGS supports Adlib, Sound Blaster and General MIDI for background music, and it supports the Sound Blaster and ESS Audiodrive for sound effects.

For background music, AGS can use OGG, MP3, MIDI, WAV, MOD, XM, and S3M music files. For sound effects, you can use OGG, MP3, WAV and VOC files. When AGS needs to play music number X, it will search for the files in the following order. The first file it finds, it plays: MUSICx.OGG, MUSICx.MP3, MUSICx.WAV, MUSICx,MID, MUSICx.MOD, MUSICx.XM, MUSICx.S3M.

TIP: What is ogg? OGG is a digital music format, similar to MP3, but achieving better compression and higher quality. More importantly, it is a totally free format so no royalty payments or licenses are required to use it. For more information and programs to encode your music to OGG, see http://www.vorbis.org/

When the game loads, music 0 will be played if it exists in the game directory. You can change the music later by setting "Play music on room load" in a room, by using the PlayMusic text script command, or by using the "Play sound" interaction command. If you use the interaction command, you must add 1000 to the music number so that AGS recognises it as music and not a sound effect. For example, to play music 23, use "Play sound 1023".

To play a sound effect during the game, you can use the PlaySound text script command, or the "Play sound" interaction command. The game will search for SOUNDx.OGG, SOUNDx.MP3, SOUNDx.WAV and SOUNDx.VOC, where X is the sound number.

NOTE: WAV, MP3 and OGG music files are not included in the game EXE, but are instead bundled into a seperate file called MUSIC.VOX. Whenever you add any new music files of those types to your game folder, you need to choose "Rebuild VOX Files" from the Game menu in order to update the store and make them work in-game.

NOTE: The Adlib sound card only supports MIDI music. It cannot play sound effects, or MOD, XM, OGG or MP3 music.

--------------
For what functions to do...
-----------------
Multimedia functions
CDAudio
GetCurrentMusic
GetMIDIPosition
GetMP3PosMillis
IsChannelPlaying
IsMusicPlaying
IsMusicVoxAvailable
IsSoundPlaying
IsSpeechVoxAvailable
PlayAmbientSound
PlayFlic
PlayMP3File
PlayMusic
PlayMusicQueued
PlaySilentMIDI
PlaySound
PlaySoundEx
PlayVideo
SeekMIDIPosition
SeekMODPattern
SeekMP3PosMillis
SetChannelVolume
SetDigitalMasterVolume
SetFrameSound
SetMusicMasterVolume
SetMusicRepeat
SetMusicVolume
SetSoundVolume
SetSpeechVolume
SetVoiceMode
StopAmbientSound
StopChannel
StopMusic
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Ashen

Or how about:

PlaySound
PlaySoundEX
PlayMP3File
PlayMusic
PlayAmbientSound

Or, on the interaction editor:
Game - Play Music
Game - Play Sound effect

TerranRich

Great. Now that it's all there, it's been proven that it is in fact in the manual.

Read it. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk