Demo Quest: Source of Dreams - UPDATE 6/30 PLAYABLE DEMO

Started by Hollister Man, Wed 12/05/2004 03:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollister Man

Finally, you say, someone posts about Demo Quest 3.Ã,  Well, its better than that.Ã,  We've got a brief trailer here (VERY LARGE GIF ANIMATION)

UPDATE 6/30/04

The demo of DQ3 was released at Brittens, now available for public consumption.Ã,  It isn't the greatest quality yet, but it is progressing fairly rapidly.Ã,  Many features are only half implemented, but there is now a functional Verb Coin example, an all new GUI, and examples of several hard to use features (such as room-script on_mouse_click functions)

www.demoquest.us/dq3demo.zip

Please post any bugs, but expect several, this is a playable demo made from an untested work-in-progress, with many bits of stuff that are not completed yet.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

Scummbuddy

whats the orangish area that says "all new areas"? Looks to be a bar.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Hollister Man

;)  Its one of the new areas

Lets just say that the door to Dar's doesn't say "This is a family game" anymore.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

LordHart

Oooh, it sounds naughty now... pr0n?

Hollister Man

lol, nah.  Its a bad joke, that all.  I can't say much, it'll spoil the joke for everyone.

Ishmael

You utilized the futuristic city again? The dialogs concerning it were funny, IMHO.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

H Man Unplugged

The City will make an appearance, I will tell you that much.  As will BMAN, Froggy, and Roger, mostly in their original roles.  There will be a ton of in-jokes, out-jokes, bad jokes, and puns, like every adventure game should have.  I think everyone will be very pleased with the outcome.  We can only hope :)

MrColossal

not to be a meany or anything but when it comes to the demo game I think teaching people how to use AGS is more important than a ton of new jokes and a story.

I mean, how are you going to be teaching people how to use AGS? That is what I'm interested in and it doesn't seem like you've spoken on it at all. So care to elaborate?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Gilbert

Actually I'd rather see the demo quest simple, stating clearly how things can be archieved, blah bla bla, etc. If it's made into a "full-size game" with eyecandies, etc, it's quite difficult for newbies to focus on different parts of the techniques used.

KANDYMAN-IAC

I had an idea that the demo quest could be a trilogy...

you could have different lands... like storyboarding land... where all the graphics are pencil, and through learning about the game creation process of writing the story and making graphics... the world becomes less sketchy and makes more sense.... all the characters stop talking in predefined "may name is bill" responses with masses of spelling errors...

scripting land where you learn about different scripts (like we do now)

and any other number of possibilities... i think done properly would be funking awesome...

I agree with Mr C... we are here to TEACH people, humour is woven into that second....

THOUGH if i can see merit in your process and what you are trying to create then i  am willing to create graphics, both backgrounds, character art and animations.... also i write some mean dialog (as in good... not nasty.... [tough since i made LJE, thats prolly all people think i do])

"Don't lose the bluecups they may be our only hope....!!1!!!1"

"I'm jealous of all of you guys, which means. I love your work, I just hate you as a person.... wait thats not right."

Hollister Man

I'm sorry, I have been a bit caught up in the art part of it lately.Ã,  The script will be completely "instructionalized," with comments and a tutorial document as to how things were done.Ã, 

Kandy: We've got three "acts" planned, but the factory will serve much the same purpose.Ã,  There will be rooms and puzzles to do with character animation and construction, GUIs of course, multi-media, and new sub-demos can be linked to the Advanced hall.Ã,  An integral part of several puzzles will be to complete a script, as well.Ã,  I'd offer you entrance into the DQ forum to see our discussions on the educational side, but I do not have Admin privileges, and am in the process of a backup of the forum so we can use another server that I can Admin.

It will remain 256 colors, to save space and to show people the tricks and secrets to making a good looking game based on a palette, although many neophytes seem to think this is obsolete.Ã,  The "Advanced" area will become a functional "teleporter" to sub-demos for things such as looping, mini-games, plugins, voices, (and lots of other things that are "donated" by anyone who wants to make them) so they don't clutter the script.Ã,  This room will be accessable from the menu.Ã,  The Educational GUI will actually work in every room, and will be accessable from the toolbar.

This way, the Demo can still be informative, but also a good open sourced example of a fun game.Ã,  The DQ games were interesting, but hardly fun.Ã,  The GUI rooms were not fully integreated (and can now be done entirely inside the room scripts), now they will be finished neatly and will have a purpose in the game.Ã,  It will feature a "launcher" that will allow the game to save, exit, launch another game (of a different resolution or program) then return to play, as a utility and example for people who wish to do this in their own game.

It is our goal to make it really fun to play through, and also an "archive" of useful tidbits of code, information, syntax, organizational methods, and examples.Ã,  I know personally, I used the color-cycle script from DQ2 in several un-released practice games.

I hope this has been a little more encouraging than my last post, believe it or not, I do understand the purpose of the Demo.Ã,  Its just so obvious during production, that I actually just forgot to mention it. :/Ã, 

Mats Berglinn

One question: Will the demo quest feature a full Lucas Arts Verb Coin?

Hollister Man

If I can find someone who knows how to make one, or can find out for myself, yes.  I have never played a game that used the Verb Coin system (I was a Sierra kid).  Even if we can't figure out how for the main game, we'll make sure there is a sub-demo for it in the Advanced wing.

LordHart

The Account Frozen site has it I believe... :P

Its sad that that site is known as nothing else but the Account Frozen site...its a great resource. :(

Hollister Man

Yeah, What I don't understand is why people don't get Godaddy.com hosting, pay $30 for a domain name and hosting, and have a site.  Their service is great, my domain was active the same day I bought it.  I'm planning on buying one for AGS stuff soon.

Hollister Man

Thanks!  For other's reference, that's 2ma2's website.

Phemar

How about a custom save/load GUI, and another one with Screenshots.

Hollister Man

I like the idea, maybe the in-game save/load will be a standard one, but the Menu save/load will be a screenshot one. How's that?

Ishmael

Or make a special area into the game, where the screenshot save/load GUI's are used, and when the player enters this area, the game get's autosaved in the normal, non-screenshot area... or something
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk