Demo Quest: Source of Dreams - UPDATE 6/30 PLAYABLE DEMO

Started by Hollister Man, Wed 12/05/2004 03:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Phemar

And a style area. Showing all different art styles.

And an area telling newbies *cough*legge*cough* exactly how to treat the forums.

Hollister Man

TK: I'm not honestly shure what you mean.

ZOR: ATM, the whole game will be very much in different styles.  Besides this, the GUI rooms will also lend themselves to specific styles. 

There will be an area that is supposed to emulate the forums, and the user will have to discover the right area to ask certain questions, otherwise the residents of those forums will not respond helpfully.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

LordHart

Well, then you have to have a guy that looks BOYD walk on and then say, "The Penis... it slaps you!" and then walk off. :)

Layabout

Did you see the original demo quest 2 that was in production? You could learn a lot from it.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Hollister Man

You mean the original one that was in production 2 years ago?  Yes, and that's where most of our work is based on.  This isn't some noob spur-of-the-moment thing, here.  This has been an ongoing project for over a year now, although it has been slow at times.  It was mostly discussion of the plot, and planning the layout of the factory.

Thank ye' Jack,

Not you, we named the monkey Jack... :) ;)
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

DragonRose

My thought:

When you have a variety of interfaces in one game, it becomes a whole lot more difficult to figure out how it works than if you just had one interface. You have to sort through more code to find what you're looking for than you would otherwise.

Rather than making one big Demo game showing EVERYTHING, which would have pages and pages of code to sort through to find what you're looking for, why not make several much smaller demo games, each one showing one or two things?
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Ginny

Looking really promising, this! The thing is, I think a large game would be more comfortable and fun to use, and can teach newcomers more at once, more scripting style and organisation. However I do agree it may get difficult to use as an open source guide. Hmm, would it be possible to somehow make important scripts stand out?
Anyway, I've got a suggestion for the help/learning button you seem to have planned: You could click the button and see a GUI pop up with information about what you clicked on (when a cursor), and seperately, you could view all the tips you've seen so far in a type of library (in game, or in a seperate file, like a part of the manual. It would be nice (maybe) if each tip you see/discover is added to the list of reviewable tips, explaining functions being used or scripts
As an example: You see a character walking up and down the street, pacing. Clicking the '?' cursor on him or something like that (maybe a lightbulb?) will tell you how this was done, and add a similar, though slightly differently prahsed maybe, tip to the library. It would be best I think if the game exported values to a file outside, bolleans to check if the player found each thing. And then in the manual/tip library, it would check this file to see what it should display. When the player finishes the game, all tips discovered and not discovered will be shown, those who weren't with a certain icon or something. Hmm.. The reason it's best put in an html file is that it would be easier to write detailed tutorials, and have links to appropriate threads in the forum, etc..
Then again, I dunno, it's just an idea. :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Hollister Man

Actually, we were thinking of making the GUI rooms as separate mini-games, even though CJ has implemented room-specific on_event() functions.  For the most part, the main GUI will be a hybrid Sierra/lec Title Bar GUI.  I posted it once in the critic's lounge.

I like the idea Ginny, in fact, we were planning a "internet" inside the game, and these would be available through that, as well as being HTML files outside. 

Hollister Man

Well, its that time again.  The Demo demo is nearly complete.  There will be a few bugs, and some original areas are unavailable.  Unfortunately, time just ran out for a Brittens release, so there will not be a completed hall of GUIs, but Verb Coin was added, and both parsers now work more like the original.  The majority of the rooms have heavily commented script, to ease understanding of the code.  Hopefully this will be useful to someone.

The new areas will be previewed, as well.  Not all of them are available, but you can get a better idea than from my cheezy animation.  The group has spent a lot of time on discussion and overcoming problems, only to have members go AWOL and cause us to have to re-do stuff.  For example, the player character in the Demo demo is very nice, but the one who animated her will not reply to mail anymore.  So either we learn to animate her, or make a new one (the latter is what we chose).  PenguinX has offered to finish the animations, but he too has been absent recently.

With any luck, the Demo will be progressive, with releases of larger and larger sections with time.

Hollister Man

Sorry to double post, but this is to bump up the thread.Ã,  If you'd like to DL the beta/demo (not a whole lot done at this point, but most everything works as it should.)Ã,  it is at www.demoquest.us/dq3demo.zip

Contains examples of a tiled-background animation technique, randomized background animation, verb coin GUI, the SCI0 and AGI rooms use the true 'left click walk, right click look' action, Appropriate music in several areas.

Again, don't expect too much, hopefully we will have all the original demo parts back in sometime soon.

Scummbuddy

just a quick bug, i started the game and walked directly to the left hoping to see the Girls Girls Girls sign, and i did get to the next room, so i kept walking along the sidewalk, and as i walked past the door, her sprite was drawn behind it, so i think the walk area and the walkbehind line may need some tweaking.
>>actually, i got it to do the same thing with the door with the red junk in front of it.

and I'm sure you all noticed that the bottle on the second screen doesn't stay gone when you come back to the screen.

in the verb coin room, the text is written wrong. you say that its left click for inv, and right click for the verb coin, but it really should be switched.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk