Is making a first person adventure game possible/practical?

Started by the cranky hermit, Tue 18/05/2004 01:55:34

Previous topic - Next topic

the cranky hermit

I'm thinking of making a point 'n click version of one of my favorite old adventure games, Time Zone. It had colorized vector graphics, not much sound, practically no animation, and certainly no avatar walking around on the screen. Is there a way to get rid of the actor and the "walk" cursor, and have the game be totally controlled with the eye, hand, inventory, and four directional movement keys? I've looked at the manual and knowledge base, but the only information I can find and understand involves tutorials with the avatar.

the cranky hermit

Oh, and just one thing for clarity. The vectors are all 2D static vectors. Not 3D vector graphics like in Star Wars Arcade or something. The point 'n click version would use bitmap backgrounds that resemble vector graphics.

Scummbuddy

here, we refer to an avatar meaning only the little image under our names in the forum.

have you downloaded the editor. cause if you've looked around, you'd find the 'hide player character' in the rooms seetings. then you can easily do a repeatedly execute check for if the player has pressed a keycode corresponding to the four directional keys and if that should move to a new room.

its been done before with ags and would be fairly easy to do.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

the cranky hermit

Thanks. I'm glad it's something that should be easy to do. Oh, and I plan on having a GUI for movement, too. It wouldn't be point 'n click if you had to touch the keyboard.

Also, if I shouldn't say "avatar," what should I say? Ego?

TerranRich

Just say character.

This is in the BFAQ under http://www.rain-day.com/harbinger/faq/#graphics10

Please check that before asking anything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk