Please C&C - Markups\PaintOvers Wanted

Started by agsfellow, Tue 18/05/2004 15:32:53

Previous topic - Next topic

agsfellow

Here are some pics of my upcoming game.Ã,  Let me know what you think.
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/OfficeLobby.jpg
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/MainCharacter.jpg

Minimi

first of all, you made the links wrong, you forgot to use blockletters like MainCharacter, and OfficeLobby!
Aah.. you already corrected it, nevermind! ;)

here they are :

I think I saw the background before in Critics lounge, and it looks real good, and clear!
The only critic that I can give is on the main character, that his head should be one pixel to the left! Great work!

Ginny

Great character and background especcially. I too remember seeing something like this bg before. I don't actually see any artifacts, but I suggest you don't save in jpg, because oit can cause problems with the image. On quick crit: The pouch looks oval on the front view, but square on te side view. Try smoothing out the corners on the side view by taking away a few of the color pixels and making the outsline diagonal there. Also, the head looks too small on the side view, when compared to the other 2 views. In the side view, the pose shouldn't be like that for the standing view, but that's a good starting frame for the walkcycle. In ags, the first frame needs to be the standing view, and the walking animation will automatically cycle through frames 2-last. I like the untied shoe-laces. :)
The bg is very lovely, nice isometric view. I'd suggest some shading, but there really isn't much you could do in that asoect, there isn't a distinct light source (maybe there should be, but the image doesn't really seem to miss it). I like the desks and the details in the kitchen, so how anout adding some details in the other room (I assume that's an office): A waste-basket, a chair to go with that lovely desk, possiblt a PC, books and papers and a cup with pens or something (make sure it's a blue cup :D). Maybe a few cheap plastic chairs in the space, or a rug, stuff on the walls, a window in the kitchen (wouldn't want to suffoctae in there ;)).
Heh, this became much more that quick crit, but anyway, other than that, i really enjoy this art, the character has a lot of personality showing. :)
I would have a go at explaining the pouch thingy, but I only have MsPaint installed right now, and I'm not too good at using it. Hope my words are enough. :)

The monitor in this pic could be used, except I like how the desk looks now better, and the ange isn't right for that. Something like it though:
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/OffLobby.jpg
Also, I liked the way the older image was very long, but this length is probably more appropriate.
Finally, I hope in the game, we'll be able to see the lift from inside. I'd like to see that numbering of floors.. 10, 11, 12, 14.. ;)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Darth Mandarb

Ah yes ... I remember this background!

It looks great!Ã,  There are some issues I have with the kitchen area:

- just made the depth appear ... the way it as before it looked like there was no dimension to the area.

Aside from that I agree with Ms. Ginny about adding some details to the scene.Ã,  Details are what sell the image!

EDIT - Just noticed this too ...

Looking forward to seeing more!

Ginny

Hehe, Ms. Ginny :D
Anyway, I just noticed in your older thread that you go rid of the monitor, so perhaps a normal, non-LCD monitor would work better. Aswell as showing the actual PC, as it would be visible from this angle. Stuff like a printer, a keyboard and a mouse would have to go with the monitor too of course. Also, I liked the message board thingy you had before (forgot the proper name), you could incorporate a smaller one perhaps, or a unique one shaped like a vertical rectagle rather than a square. Also, i just noticed how much I love the panels near the floor. :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

agsfellow

Thanks for all the comments.Ã,  I'm going to be posting another pic in the next few days.Ã,  I do have a question and 2 favors to ask though.

Favors First:Ã,  Someone please have mercy on me and attempt to draw a faucet on that sink.Ã,  I've tried and tried and nothing looks right.Ã,  I want there to be more defined light sources and shadowing also but I am at a loss on how to even start.Ã,  Any suggestions or markups would be much appreciated.

Question Second:Ã,  How important is it to you "the potential player" that the artwork be consistent?Ã,  The reason I ask is because my cousin and I are starting to split up some of the artwork and everything he does looks really cool and cartoony because he can actually draw and everything I do looks dull in comparison.Ã,  Would you play a game with mix a match graphics?

Gurok

Here's a facuet:

I'm not sure on the perspective, but it's sort of one of those adjustable ones you can move from the left-right depending on which sink you want to fill.

Oh, and I did a very minor paint over on the taps to make them look like they were the four-cornered upsidedown wedge-shaped kind, which I assume is what you were going for.

EDIT: I think the entire tap/facuet set needs to be larger in relation to the sink.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Andail

I like the background, it looks clean and clear...

however, working with this - almost isometric - view requires lots of details and shadings to not become boring, since the perspective itself is too static to be interesting.

If you look at Darth Mandarb's isometric backgrounds, they are stuffed with nice details, and are also very consistently shaded.

Also the grey foreground wall in the kitchen is just awkward - too big and with a boring colour at that...and the fridge is drawn so close to the grey wall that it seems to be standing on it - use overlapping to create more of a depth.

agsfellow

Updated:
I incorporated a lot of your ideas and decided to try to add more detail.  What do you think...

Gilbert

Heh I just noticed one thing (if you guys didn't notice it), that the elevator doors can't be opened fully, at least not for the left one. This is, of course, not important unless your game need has a real serious theme and is heading for realism (which I think is not the case). ;D

I'd like to see if there's an animation of the doors opening though. ;)

googlebox

QuoteHeh I just noticed one thing (if you guys didn't notice it), that the elevator doors can't be opened fully, at least not for the left one. This is, of course, not important unless your game need has a real serious theme and is heading for realism (which I think is not the case). ;D

That could be a great in-game joke!  ;D

Haddas

DragonRose

It could be one of those ones where the doors double up and go off to one side.

the perspective seems off on the chair in the break room.  In the cut out, you see the inside on the left side when it should be on the right.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Gilbert

Quote from: DragonRose on Fri 21/05/2004 12:13:48
It could be one of those ones where the doors double up and go off to one side.

Yeah :) but in that case the left door shoud be drawn "deeper into" the wall. Maybe it's not a sliding door but thouse you push/pull oopen.

agsfellow

How funny.Ã,  I think in the game I'll have the doors go up.Ã,  And it can be explained that the architect didn't leave enough room or something.Ã,  That way you guys can be part of the inside joke with me.

PS. There used to be enough room then I shrunk down the width of the room to about half.

BIG QUESTION: Is the table and chair in the kitchen necessary.Ã,  I've hated it since I drew it but I thought it was wierd not to have tables in chairs in the break room.Ã,  Nothing on it is going to be a useable object.

HillBilly

I just think the chair is a bit high. How about just showing the top of the back of it(or whatever)?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk