"Escape From Evergreen Forest" Full Version - 100% complete and now Released!

Started by Barbarian, Sun 23/05/2004 14:50:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

Hi everyone.
This is my first post in the AGS forums.
First off, let me say "Fantastic job on AGS" to Chris and team. I can see a lot of work and effort went into it. I absolutely love AGS..

Anyways, I've been working on my first game using AGS for about a month now for usually a few hours each day.Ã,  My first game was mostly for me to become familiar with how AGS works, but now my game has started to really take shape.

Okay, the basic story-line sort of goes like:

--- You go by the name of "Big Don"
(Okay, it's a silly name, but it's my own nick-name,
and as this is my first AGS game, I foolishly named my main character Big Don :-)Ã,  Ã, ...
Anyways, you went for a walk in the woods to enjoy a nice day.
You day-dream of exciting adventures in far-off lands, and not paying attention as you should,
you soon end up deep in Evergreen Forest.

You remember old Folk-Tales about Evergreen Forest...
Some stories tell of strange creatures, magical things, as well as many dangers and hidden treasures.
But those are just stories made up to entertain... or are they?
Well, enough day-dreaming.. Time to find your way out of here.
Now which way to go?Ã,  ---

You will encounter strange creatures, magics, dangers and maybe find hidden treasure on your adventure in Evergreen Forest.

Here's a screen-shot of one the first areas:

Ã,  Ã, And here is a little sample of the main character's walking animation... not the best animation, I know, but remember I'm just an amateur at thisÃ,  ;)Ã, 
I'll be touching up the graphics as I continue to work on the project.
Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã, 

For more screen-shots, information and udates on my game, you can visit a little web-page I whipped up at:
http://www.adventure.easyurl.org/

Ã,  Ã, It's still a bit rough, but overall I'm becoming more and more familiar with AGS everyday, and my adventure is shaping up nicely.
Ã,  Ã, Feedback is welcome.

* Update * I've changed my game title to "Escape From Evergreen Forest (EFEF)."Ã,  Ã, 
Ã,  Ã, My game is still progressing nicely.

--- Big Don.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Andail

Looks promising.
You apparently have a solid background in this area, so I'm sure you will be able to make good use out of AGS

kl4Uz

Barbarian

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As far as the background(s) in my game, many are used from free-to-use sources (usually drawn and not photographs) I find on the internet, though often times I end up editing them myself... I use a few different editor programs to get right effect I want.
I have a bit of an artistic talent too, so for some of the rooms I will be hand-drawing myself, then scanning in and editing on the computer. I'm just an amateur artist / animator (self taught) when it comes to this, so don't expect any "amazing" art / graphics / animations. But I do have a good imagination, and many years of experience with computers and adventure-gaming, so I think I can put together an interesting and enjoyable game.

I'll keep you posted with more updates as the game continues to develop.

*Salutes*
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Spoofer4v3r

I love your style of backgrounds.   I'm a newbie like you. Have you learnt all the basics or just learning as you go?

Barbarian

Thanks Spoofer.
I'm carefully choosing the backgrounds or will be editing and/or creating them myself.
  Sure, perhaps in future we can work on something together.

As far as knowing AGS, I've learnt all the basics and how to use most functions, and even some of the advanced features.
The more I continue to work with AGS, the more I learn about it's many features and what ways I can use them.
I've over 22 years of experience with using computers, so I can learn and adapt fairly quickly to a program like AGS.
The only thing that still is a bit sticky for me is some of the scripting.
I've been doing some basic scripting to get the hang of it, and I even made my own custom GUI for game-speed control so far.
AGS is such a powerful program and I'm very impressed with what all it is able to do.

Best regards,
--- Don, the Barbarian

Quote from: Spoofer4v3r on Thu 27/05/2004 13:16:58
I love your style of backgrounds.Ã,  Ã, I'm a newbie like you. Have you learnt all the basics or just learning as you go?

fanton

looks nice.

try making his head bob down each time he finishes a step.

Barbarian

Quote from: avatar on Thu 27/05/2004 15:13:58
looks nice.

try making his head bob down each time he finishes a step.

Hi Avatar. Thanks for the tips.
I've made the changes as you suggested (you can see my animation samples in my first message in this post).
.  I tried before, unsuccessfully, "bobbing the head", but, as I'm learning as I go with this animation stuff, I realize now that I had some of my frames off-center before, so it had a "jerky" effect, he walked like with a serious limp, or a lurching zombie... but now I got everything lined up right, and got that "1 pixel head bob" like you suggested on his steps, I think it's looking much better now.  ;D 

*Salutes*

8-Ball

Looks good, keep up the good work, i like to say that you could use some more frames on the walk. not that i know much about it.

Good Work, 8-Ball

Barbarian

Hi everyone. Well, I've been working very hard on my game and I'm still making good progress.
I'd say the game is now about 60% completed, currently with over 20 rooms to explore (some rooms are explored using a lantern for light), a few puzzles (some of which can be solved in more than one way), so far with 5 interactive NPC's, customized GUI's (including Control Game Speed, Set Music Volume and Select Music Soundtrack), different endings according to choices made (it's possible the main character can die in-game too if bad choices are made), Character Portrait Dialog Animations, many in-game music scores and sound-effects at appropriate times.

Below is some more screen-shots:

For more info and Screen-Shots, visit my website, Amazing Adventures!,
at:Ã,  http://www.adventure.easyurl.org/

Barbarian

Greetings Adventurers.
Hoping it's okay to bump-up my thread to give an update on my game's progress.

I was hoping to have a Beta version ready for playtesting by now, but alas, many other things got in the way such as work and for a few weeks my computer was giving me some strange problems which really slowed down my progress on the game too. But after reinstalling some drivers, scanning my system, doing some updates, clean-ups, defrags, etc.. everything appears to be back in working order again and I'm trying to get back on track with the production of my game.

That being said, my game is now approximately 90% complete (Beta version). I figure within the next week or so I will have something ready for Beta-testing. So, I'm putting out the call now for a few interested Beta-testers for my game. The file will be a fairly large download (not sure yet of overall size, but the "compiled" folder containing all of the game's file are currently a little over 21 MB. Of course once I ZIP that, the file-size to download will be smaller).

There a few small "bugs" I need to work out yet, and I still need to add a few rooms yet and a few finishing touches, and soon after the Beta-testing stage I hope to have the ready-for-release version of my game out by around the end of September 2004.

Okay, so if you're interested in soon helping me with some Beta-testing of my game, let me know - reply here or PM me (I guess 3 or 4 Beta-testers should be enough?). I'll give Beta-testers credit in my game.

Ã,  Ã,  Here's a couple of new Screen Shot pics to give a little more of a sneak-peek of things:

ghostface

Barbarian....this game looks great...I think you have presented it very well and I would love to beta-test...sign me up!...that is if you have room.
"I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory. Lasts forever."

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Barbarian

Quote from: ghostface on Mon 30/08/2004 14:02:59
Barbarian....this game looks great...I think you have presented it very well and I would love to beta-test...sign me up!...that is if you have room.

Hi Ghostface. Thanks for your comments. Yes, even though this is my first adventure game using AGS, I tried my best to present it well and to make it an enjoyable Adventure game.

Sure, there's still room for Beta-testers. Hopefully soon I'll have a Beta-version ready and I'll contact you then ( I'll probably send you a Private Message ), and I'll let you know from where you can download it.

SierraFreak

Hey Don,

I'm happy that your game is almost ready.  I've been checking for new progress on your website over the last couple weeks.  If you'd like me to, I'd still be happy to beta test your game for you.  You helped me find a lot of bugs in Cougar's Quest for Freedom, so I'd like to repay the favor.  Send me a PM if you're interested.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Albert Cuandero

Looks very interesting.

If you still need Betatesters PM me anytime!

EDIT:

QuoteI will be in contact with you guys soon in regards to where to download the Beta version. *Salutes*

Ohgoodygoodygoodygoody - can't wait to jump into this piece of fun! - whowhohooowwwlll! ;)
int do_you_like_me;
if (do_you_like_me == 1) Display ("You can call me Al");
else {}

Barbarian

Greetings once again fellow Adventurers.

Just a brief update that my game is almost completed now (Approximately 95% of the Beta Version is ready).

I just have to finish up a couple more rooms, some "special effects" for some of the spectacular final-showdown-scene, and a few other touch-ups, then I'll begin the Beta-Testing stage (probably within a few days of this post).

So many thanks to my Beta victims... errrr, I mean volunteersÃ,  ;)
So far confirmed Beta-Testers will be:
SierraFreak, Albert Cuandero and GhostFace.
I will be in contact with you guys soon in regards to where to download the Beta version. *Salutes*

PS: There will be over 30 rooms/areas to explore.  :o

pslocum

If there are any open positions, I would be happy to Beta-Test as well.

Krazy

I love those graphics. There's some quality about them which is just fantastic. Can't wait till you release it.
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

ghostface

Quote from: Barbarian on Fri 10/09/2004 02:05:19
So many thanks to my Beta victims... errrr, I mean volunteersÃ,  ;)
I will be in contact with you guys soon in regards to where to download the Beta version. *Salutes*
PS: There will be over 30 rooms/areas to explore.Ã,  :o
Barbarian...this is very good news. PM me just in case when you do release the beta ok? Can't wait, and like the new title!
"I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory. Lasts forever."

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Krazy

Hmmm you know that player really reminds me of Joe King from Flight of the Amazon Queen.
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk