"Escape From Evergreen Forest" Full Version - 100% complete and now Released!

Started by Barbarian, Sun 23/05/2004 14:50:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

Quote from: Krazy on Fri 10/09/2004 16:54:35
Hmmm you know that player really reminds me of Joe King from Flight of the Amazon Queen.

Hehe.. Good eye. Yeah, I captured a couple screenies of "Joe" to get some good ideas and to use as a main starting template/outline for my main character, but I did a LOT of editing with the the captured images and put together all of the animation for it myself --- and then of course many of the specific main character poses were drawn and/or heavily edited by myself to fit in with the game (Example: Holding a lantern in dark rooms, holding/using some items, walking through water, reaching for a ladder, etc...). So, yep, I did use "Joe" for the starting outline for my character, but I ended up pretty much redrawing each frame of animation you see pixel-by-pixel.

I've, ahhhh, borrowed from various sources to help speed along the production of my game, and since I'm a real "newbie/amateur animator/artist" in many aspects I didn't want to take forever making my first AGS game (I've already got close to 5 months worth of spare time put into my project). Yes, I admit I took many "short-cuts" with many aspects of my game, but keep in mind as this is my first AGS made game, and a solo project (with exception of the confirmed Beta testers and some various help/tips gathered from the AGS forums and whatnot).

Yes, many elements of my game may look / sound familiar, however the overall game, story, puzzles, and the way it all fits together is all my own work, own ideas and original, and much of the art is completely my own as well.

I try my best within my game's Credit and ReadMe file to give due credit where credit is due, and I do admit to "borrowing" many elements found in my game. Overall though, I tried mainly to use royalty-free-to-use resources found on the internet for most "borrowed" elements in my game (and/or retouched/re-edited to fit in with my game).Ã,  ;DÃ,  You will also find many elements in my game totally unique as well, as a lot of it was also made-from-scratch by myself. When my game is complete, I hope any of my game's "borrowed" elements will be introduced in-game in a manner that Adventure fans can enjoy and appreciate.

Ã,  Ã,  Okay, Beta-Testing stage is almost ready to start.. very close now guys.
*Salutes*
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Barbarian

Okay guys. This is probably one of the last bumps I'll give to this thread before I release the Beta-Version to my Beta-Testers.

Beta Version is now about 99% complete. What does this mean? That most likely within 1 day of this message being posted, that the Beta-Testers will be hard at work, errr.. I mean play, trying out my game. *Cracks whip at the Beta-VictimsÃ,  ;D *

I probably would have already had it ready by now, but, unfortunately as fate has it, today a rather nasty bug cropped up in the final stages that fatally locked up the game. So, I had to spend some extra time hunting down the evil bug, and with a bit of trial and error and more testing, I narrowed it down to what I think was conflicting variables. So, I made the adjustments to correct that problem, and so far it's working good again.

I'm going to Whip up a quick Title Screen for the Beta-Version, do a little bit more improvements on a few things, and also do a few final touches on the end sequence.Ã,  For the soon to be completed version (while the Beta-Testers are busy going through my game) I may work on adding a little intro, making an improved end-sequence perhaps, as well as maybe adding a "bonus scene" for players who can complete the game with a perfect scoreÃ,  ;)

A few highlights of my game to note:

*Currently the game has over 30 rooms to explore.
*The game display is designed for 640x400 mode in 16-bit color.
*GUI to select Game Speed and Music Controls settings.
*Hopefully easy-to-use interface (I also took advantage of the wheel-mouse functions too, but don't worry, players with a non-wheeled mouse still have all the same options).
*1 main player character with 6 appearing (and mostly interactive) NPCs.
*A story that starts out simply enough, but turns into something deeper as the game is played through.
*Various puzzles to solve/overcome, some of which can be solved in different ways.
*I tried to avoid "pixel hunting" or "walking dead-man" scenarios.
*A couple of "Easter egg" type of surprises.
*Some "Guest Appearances" by some famous well known Adventurers.
*Possible "Player Can Die" scenarios if bad/incorrect choices are made.
*Use of a couple of fantastic Plug-Ins to great effect (Rain and Flashlight - well in my game it's a Lantern though).
* A detailed ReadMe.txt file will be included.
* Good vs. Evil, Magic, strange creatures, cool music and sound effects, drama, humor, action, a scantily-clad seductive temptress, Earthquakes, Lightning, Explosions, Destruction,Ã,  ... overall an action packed thrill rideÃ,  ;D What more could ya want?

I'm hoping by the end of September 2004, I'll have the Ready-For-Public Completed Version ready for release (depending on how the Beta-Testing stage goes and what kind of feedback my Testers give to me, and/or what bugs crop up and needs to be fixed or what improvements could be made). This is my first AGS made game, and almost 5 months worth of of my spare-time in production, so I hope that you will all soon be able to enjoy it.

Get ready for an "Amazing Adventures!" production from the Barbarian.
*Salutes*
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Barbarian

Okay, just one last Bump to announce that the Beta-Testing version of my game is now ready and uploaded. I will contact my confirmed Beta-Testers within a few minutes of my posting this message.

The Beta-Version is a download of 18.9MB in ZIP format, which will then un-compress into taking up to 36.9MB, so as you can guess, I've put in a lot of work into my game, and it may even border on being a "Large" game (we'll see what kind of feedback the Beta-Testers give me though).

Let the Adventure begin!Ã,  ;D

Once testing stage is complete and I have finished making any corrections, additions and/or improvments to my game, then I will release a ready-for-public Completed Version that everyone can enjoy... and all for the low low price of... Free!Ã,  Ã, :)

Below is a new screen-shot of my game's Title Screen (it may change slightly in the completed version), but I don't want to give away too many more in-game screen shots that may spoil the fun of exploring my game before most of you have had a chance to play it yet.

Ã,  Ã, Once Beta-Testing stage is over, I will annouce my game in a new post in the "Completed Games Announcements" section of the forums.

Enjoy!Ã,  :=

captain Nemo

pslocum

Quote from: Barbarian on Mon 13/09/2004 20:53:50
I'm hoping by the end of September 2004, I'll have the Ready-For-Public Completed Version ready for release (depending on how the Beta-Testing stage goes and what kind of feedback my Testers give to me, and/or what bugs crop up and needs to be fixed or what improvements could be made).

Barbarian

Greetings Adventurers.
Just a quick update on the status on my game.

Beta-Testing stage is almost complete.
So far I've gotten back fairly positive comments, and just waiting on some final notes from my testersÃ,  ;) Thanks guys!

I've made several improvements and additions since the Beta-Version, and I'd even go as far to say this may be considered a full-length game.

I've put in a lot of work into this project, so probably within a few more days (from the time of my posting this message), I may have the full completed "ready for public release" version of my game ready.

I've added in many surprises, and there's even a "bonus Adventure game" at the end if you can manage to complete my game with a perfect score (you get to play as a certain famous "Archeologist" in the bonus Adventure).

Okay, Indy, hand me the whip please --- *Cracks whip at Beta-Victims* "Give me the notes and I throw you the Completed Game!"Ã,  ;D

Pft!

I cant wait!  8) Be sure to add some fun facts if your a sierra fan, something to laugh about.  ;D

Vaz

Quote from: Barbarian on Sun 23/05/2004 14:50:46
You go by the name of "Big Don"
(Okay, it's a silly name, but it's my own nick-name,
and as this is my first AGS game, I foolishly named my main character Big Don :-)

Wow, so then this game is yours too? ;)

Anyway, I usually refuse to play games with fantasy settings/story and alike, but I'll surely give it a shot as soon as I'll have my greedy hands on the complete version.
The foes (are those foes, aren't they?) in the title screen, I don't know why, but they remind me of Flash Gordon... they seem to come straight out of a 30s sci-fi comic strip!

Barbarian

Hi everyone.
Well, take out your whip, and put on your fedora hat, it's that time to go Adventuring with my game,
"Escape From Evergreen Forest".

It is now fully complete, uploaded, and ready to take a beating from all of you wonderful Adventurers.

I have announced my game in the "Completed Games" section over at:
http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?topic=16880.0

So, any more comments, feedback, asking for help/hints, it would be better to post over there in my Completed Games message post.

Okay, I really hope you will all enjoy this, and I must say it's been a real learning experience and an adventure in itself just making this game.
*Whew!*Ã,  :)

Enjoy!

Darth Mandarb

Congrats Barbarian!!!

Now we say goodbye to this GiP thread ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk