RPG style games

Started by 00jon00, Sat 29/05/2004 21:23:50

Previous topic - Next topic

4Dsheep

There are a lot of gamemaking engines around, yeah. Gamemaker, RM2k(3), IKA, Sphere, Verge, RPGTK, Clickteam, and of course AGS, and lots more.

I had RM2k (and RM2k3), but got rid of it, just because it was so... pointless. I now use Gamemaker and AGS, but mostly Gamemaker.

Richard Amadeus Cuie, British explorer
Yes. I need input on the story, a sprite I made, and I have a request for an AGS template.

Kinoko

Does Gamemaker have a webpage or something?

Redwall

aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Kinoko

Thanks for that.

Hrrm, well, I downloaded it and had a fiddle around. It's a neat little package but I'm not so confident it'll be useful in making a non-tile based RPG (at least a decent one). I also tried ika but the executable won't execute so for the moment, that's a dead loss.

I'll keep soldiering on! ^_^

CoffeeBob

Quote from: 4Dsheep on Wed 09/06/2004 17:32:54
There are a lot of gamemaking engines around, yeah. Gamemaker, RM2k(3), IKA, Sphere, Verge, RPGTK, Clickteam, and of course AGS, and lots more.

I had RM2k (and RM2k3), but got rid of it, just because it was so... pointless. I now use Gamemaker and AGS, but mostly Gamemaker.
Gah, Gamemaker is shit compared to Clickteam's products.
They are much easier to use.
But there is one good thing about gm, that is that you can have
MP3 music without a damn extension like you need in TGF and MMF.

Bernie

Hmm... it's fairly easy to make tile-based stuff in MMF or TGF. But as I said before (on page 1), you'd also have to code aspects like a menu, battle mode and dialogue boxes completely yourself. This gives you immense freedom, but you need to be prepared to learn those programs in and out.

And again, here's a small MMF demo game I've made, with parallax scrolling and stuff:
http://www.faind.com/bernie/gnome.zip

Kinoko

Hmm, GM and RPG Toolkit seem like okay programs from what I've seen so far but I'm after something that will allow me to make a non-tile based RPG. Something more along the lines of Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, Terranigma... etc, rather than Final Fantasy-ish (as much as I love games like that).

Are there any programs that'd be good for that? Or shall I just sit down and think about how to use AGS for this? ^_^

Bernie

MMF and TGF would be fine for that, but since they cost money, those programs may not be an option for you. It might be easier to pull it off in AGS than in MMF/TGF, but you would be more limited - no progressive text like they have in rpgs, for example, and handling an inventory with keyboard alone may be quite hard as well.

If you have any questions, or if you want to see an example of what's possible, feel free to PM me, I have loads of unfinished MMF game engines sitting on my computer.

*Obviously, Bernie loves MMF almost as much as AGS*

EDIT - Actually, I'm not sure if it's possible to have progressive text in AGS since it does have numerous string commands, so I suppose I shouldn't have said that. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk