AGS 2.61 Final now released!

Started by Pumaman, Sun 30/05/2004 19:16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Quote from: Radiant on Thu 10/06/2004 17:03:48
Okay, but my point was that a view would appear differently in the previewer, than in the game itself. I found out because I had an animation with variable height, that appears perfectly in the game but if you preview it, it jumps around a lot and the character's feet seem to move.

Fair point, I'll get it changed.

* font outline does show on GUIs in the game, but not while in the editor (i.e. if you have a font with auto_outline)

Good point, I'll add it to my list.

* for character 0, I cannot select view #1 as an Idle view.

Hehe, this is an oldie:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/kbview.php?id=17

* for any GUI, if I set: background color to 9, foreground color to 9, background color to 0, then foreground color to 0, THEN the background color is reset to 16.

I tried this but I couldn't replicate it. Can you manually switch it back to 0?

* for consistency's sake with C, #0 should be a valid timer

there are various inconsistencies within AGS in terms of 0- vs 1-based sets. At this point, I don't think this is worth changing.

* it appears that GetLocationName doesn't work from within RepExAlways

It seems ok to me, what exactly do you mean by "doesn't work"?

* putting Display ("") in your repeat_exec causes the game to inexplicably speed up; it's kind of weird

That is a bit odd - I guess the best behaviour is for Display() to simply do nothing if provided with a blank string.

Scorpiorus

Strange, I've just noticed that the IAGSEngine::AbortGame() function doesn't display an error message supplied but just shows standart "excption XXX error at line XXX" text. It works fine with AGS2.6sp1.

Radiant

* for any GUI, if I set: background color to 9, foreground color to 9, background color to 0, then foreground color to 0, THEN the background color is reset to 16.
I tried this but I couldn't replicate it. Can you manually switch it back to 0?
yes, so it's not a problem.

* it appears that GetLocationName doesn't work from within RepExAlways
It seems ok to me, what exactly do you mean by "doesn't work"?
I meant that it caused my game to crash, but I was unable to figure out exactly what went wrong. Sorry that this isn't a very helpful bug report, if I manage to reproduce it somehow I'll let you know.
(I was doing a lucasarts-style GUI and put something in RepExAlways to change a label's text to <command><location> i.e. Pick up Tree; GetLocname kept returning blank strings rather than hotspot or object names)

strazer

But you were not trying to use GetLocationName directly, right?
Because
  GetLocationName (int x, int y, string buffer)
fills the string BUFFER, it doesn't return anything (useful).

Cool_Avenger111

This engine rules.  I can't wait till it's error free so I can start my project (It's all mapped out and graphics are 80% ready).

However, the example Demo game doesn't work with the new version of the engine.  It seems to skip the animations and just "pop" the character whereever you click.

Signed,
       William

scotch

AGS is as bug free as you can really expect it to be, you shouldn't put off a project until it's perfect, it never will be, this is supposed the be a stable version.
The demo game is ancient, I'm surprised it still works at all,  a new one is being worked on slowly.

Cool_Avenger111

*nods* I know...  I just was a bit surprised when it was working with 2.59sp1 (I think that's what it was) and then it didn't for the new one.  I can't wait till the new demo comes out.  I am working on the game, I'm just delaying working with the engine.  When the new demo comes out I'll disect it and start assembleing the "parts" of my game.  Lots of art work is ready, the game is fully diagramed.  Soon as I eithor find an easy to fallow manual or a working demo. 

When I start assembleing everything I'll post up some screenshots and publish the "basics" of it on the Production section of the forum.

I know you are right I shouldn't wait... I did that with GCSW and now the company is gone and I have a ton of art work with no place to go.

Signed,
       William

Pumaman

Quote from: Scorpiorus on Sun 13/06/2004 01:42:30
Strange, I've just noticed that the IAGSEngine::AbortGame() function doesn't display an error message supplied but just shows standart "excption XXX error at line XXX" text. It works fine with AGS2.6sp1.

Well spotted ... the shutdown routine was accidentally changed to free the plugins from memory before displaying the message box, with obvious consequences. I'll get it fixed.

QuoteHowever, the example Demo game doesn't work with the new version of the engine.  It seems to skip the animations and just "pop" the character whereever you click.

Strange, I'd better check it out. If the demo game no longer works properly, then it's probably time to withdraw it completely.

Ghost

once again i must congratulate you, cj, the new version was worth the download...

two things, though:

- the snow plugin doesn't work any more!

- i tried to do a save/load gui to display screenshots of the savegames. works all right, but the screenshot only displays about half the screen it was taken from! first i thought it was because the sreenshots were done in a scrolling room, but in a room one screen big it's the same. I can send you the game template where the error appeared, 'bout 800 k.

SSH

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 15/06/2004 10:46:06
- the snow plugin doesn't work any more!

Make sure you have the latest one: see this thread for more.

- i tried to do a save/load gui to display screenshots of the savegames. works all right, but the screenshot only displays about half the screen it was taken from! first i thought it was because the sreenshots were done in a scrolling room, but in a room one screen big it's the same. I can send you the game template where the error appeared, 'bout 800 k.
I assume you mean left/rigth half rather than top/bottom half. Make sure that your GUI button that you use to show the pic is the right size, etc. I have done a screenshot save/restore GUI and it worked fine for me.

Radiant

Quote from: strazer on Mon 14/06/2004 19:20:01
But you were not trying to use GetLocationName directly, right?
Because
  GetLocationName (int x, int y, string buffer)
fills the string BUFFER, it doesn't return anything (useful).

Yes, I was aware of that :)

Ghost

hm... i use a screen resolution of 320x240 for my game... so i simply made a button of 160x120 (half the screen res). ags always cuts the right half part of the screenshot... can't seem to fix it.

i'll try the new snow plugin, thank's for the thread link, SSH!

Gilbert

Hmmm did you set the size correctly when loading the screenshot?
Like:
spritehandle = LoadSaveSlotScreenshot(slot, 160, 120);

Ghost

i did alter the variables in the start_game section, yes. personally i can live without the saveload screenshots, but i thought it might be a bug, so i posted it...

Pumaman

That's not what Gilbert means.

When you use LoadSaveSlotScreenshot, you have to tell it the size of the button you'll be displaying it on. If you pass 320x200 to it, and then display the result on a 160x100 button, only half of it will be visibel.

Kinoko

Everytime one of these updates rolls around, it's like I'm in a world of "happy". All sorts of little niggley problems I forget about for the most part turn up fixed and I think, "Damn, wish I made my game with THIS version".

One day, I'm sending you a big cake, Puma! ^_^

Ghost

ah, i was a bit unclear.
I wanted to say that I use 160 x 120 as screenshot and button size because it seemed the easiest way to halve the screen res (which is 320x240) and thereby get pictures where you can still see some details.
I actually passed the size of the button (160/120) in the game_start section.

or did I miss something? I'll have a look at the code again...

Gilbert

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 20/06/2004 11:52:31

Actually I don't quite understand what did you mean by that.
Remember, if you enabled "Save screenshots in save games" the screenshots are always saved as full screen size (320x240 in your case), they're only resized when you use LoadSaveSlotScreenshot() to put it into a dynamiccally sprite. So you need to set its size correctly whenever you have to display a sprite containing the screenshot, like (as I mentioned before):
spritehandle = LoadSaveSlotScreenshot(slot, 160, 120);

Scorpiorus

Ghost, what if you try displaying a screenshot with the RawDrawImage() function:

int slot = LoadSaveSlotScreenshot(..., 320, 240);
RawDrawImage (0, 0, slot);

Does it look clipped?

SSH

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Mon 21/06/2004 03:03:11
Quote from: Ghost on Sun 20/06/2004 11:52:31

Actually I don't quite understand what did you mean by that.
Remember, if you enabled "Save screenshots in save games" the screenshots are always saved as full screen size (320x240 in your case),

So then what do game.screenshot_height and game.screenshot_width do then? The manaul says the defaults are 160x100 and they control the size of the savegame file screenshot. However, you still need to load the right size in LoadSaveSlotScreenshot, too. So the image is scaled twice. Maybe changing the game variables clip the picture instead? In my working savegame thingy, I didn't change the game variables at all, even though I used 64x48 pics.

Actually, maybe this is related with game_start not knowing the real screen dimensions. If you set the game variables in game start and have a 320x240 or 640x480 screen size, it might screw it up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk