game nostalgia - Top 5 list

Started by Hinders, Sun 13/06/2004 22:42:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Erenan

I forgot to mention D/Generation. I like that game.
The Bunker

Chroelle

Ok, most games are already mentioned, but I would definently go with:

Syndicate
Pirates! Gold
Lode Runner
Bubble Bobble
Ports of Call
Transport Tycoon
Sensible Soccer
Cannon Fodder
Monkey Island (The game-series of a lifetime)

I am trying to get some people gathered together to collect gamenames that COULD/SHOULD be released as freeware by now... Come help out:

http://www.forum.connect-webdesign.dk/viewtopic.php?p=10973#10973
CWF Freeware. We are going to be the biggest freeware site ever. Trust me on this.

timlump

fallout should Interplay is dead anyway sadly

ManicMatt

:D

WOW!!!!! Nostalga SMACK IN THE FACE!!!!!

I was looking for a C64 style synthesizer vst plug-in (Still looking) when I came across an mp3 entitled "Crazy comets" by Ron Hubbard. His name sounded VERY familiar and I played the tune, and INSTANTLY recognised the song!

http://www.gamestone.co.uk/zzap_world64/datahits/04_crazy_comets.mp3

I didn't remember the game though till I looked at a screenshot:

Wow! I'd TOTALLY forgot about Crazy Comets! I played this loads!

*Saves the mp3*

I feel like finding mp3s of things like Creatures 2 and Spy VS Spy now!

Ooh, and that codemasters game with the formula one cars from birds eye view! What was that called? Super.. hmm.. can't remember. Damn. Maybe not super.

PS - Aww, I saved it but it won't play with any of my music players..

arrr

HAHAHAHA you kids just make me smile...
Scramble, Donkey Kong (the first super Mario game ever), Galaga, Monaco GP. Yes, they all were on standalone arcade machines when I was playing them.

Dualnames

Quote from: James DiGrizz on Mon 16/02/2009 12:19:34
HAHAHAHA you kids just make me smile...
Scramble, Donkey Kong (the first super Mario game ever), Galaga, Monaco GP. Yes, they all were on standalone arcade machines when I was playing them.

If you had posted 20 years after today, we wouldn't even know wtf you would be saying.

Suddenly twenty years pass.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

Quote from: James DiGrizz on Mon 16/02/2009 12:19:34Yes, they all were on standalone arcade machines when I was playing them.

Pffth. if we were lucky we found a pinball table and had to fight through hordes of wolves, you know, back before the war started.  ;)

The arcades were a great time indeed.

DanielH

Okay, games that get me EVERY FREAKING TIME:

Command and Conquer
Monkey Island series
Sonic the hedgehog on the Sega Mega Drive
Broken Sword 1&2
Age Of empires
Blade Runner (never seen the film, got the game)
Baldur's Gate
Deus Ex.

My family wasn't particularly rich when I was younger (we aren't now, but we are better off than we were) -We weren't in serious trouble with money, we just didn't have any spare for things like computer games. So I grew up on a mixture of my big brother's games- Age of empires, Command and Conquer, Monkey Island, and a Mega Drive almost older than me (We kept it until we moved house in 2003- It was in perfectly good working order as well), and a mixture of games bought for me- Like Deus Ex, and Broken Sword- these games stand out particularly.

By the way, anyone else get this? Most of all, above all else, the thing that makes me nostalgia the most is music. The music is the key.

I was too young to see the arcade machines sadly, and in too remote a part of the country   :(.

arrr

Yeah... I was lucky, I guess. My family was into the arcade business back then. We owned arcades, table footballs (soccer - USA), mechanic and electric/electronic pinballs etc. Shit, I can still remember three bugs/exploits/cheats for Donkey Kong.

ALPHATT

Power Rangers(SNES)
Buffalo Bills' Wild Rodeo Show(C64)
Gold Rush!(PC)
Spider Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage (GEN)
DYNA Bomber(PC)
/sig

Sylvr

Quote from: Erenan on Thu 09/11/2006 06:22:13
I forgot to mention D/Generation. I like that game.

YAY! But I can't find it anywhere :(
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

DanielH

Has anyone kept one of these ancient games, even though it no longer works, just in case a fix is released? There's wishful thinking, and then there's keeping a decade old game for no reason.

Ghost

Quote from: DanielH on Sat 21/02/2009 18:32:24
Has anyone kept one of these ancient games, even though it no longer works, just in case a fix is released? There's wishful thinking, and then there's keeping a decade old game for no reason.

I still own the original first release of Daggerfall. I kept it because I hoped that one day a patch would fix all them quest killers, exploits and crashes.
There never was a real patch. Well, there was sort of an unofficial one, called Morrowind, so I went with that.

I also have several Apogee games that just wait for a better version of DosBox, Alien Carnage being one of the best (because there's girls to rescue).

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: DanielH on Mon 16/02/2009 13:33:01
By the way, anyone else get this? Most of all, above all else, the thing that makes me nostalgia the most is music. The music is the key.

Oh man, every time I hear that Deus Ex theme tune I get goosebumps!

Sylvr

| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Bethesda released an updated windows patch for Daggerfall 7 years ago, and before that was a dos patch.  You can find them (and some unofficial patches) here.

http://www.uesp.net/dagger/files/dagfiles.shtml#official

I am a great fan of the original Daggerfall, and I didn't apply the patch because it forced you to kill if you were a werewolf or you'd 'die', which was total crap.  It also added the sun damage to vampires making them virtually useless.

guv

1. broken sword, shadow of the templars
2. golden axe
3. R-TYPE
4. megaman 1 (one of the best games ever)
5. twited metal world tour.

arj0n

Here's my freaky list of games I've collected in all those years. Sorry, just got the collectors gen in my blood...
Most off them are oldies, all of them are only PC versions.
Still playing some of them now and then... :P

I started playing games for PC in about '84 I guess.
With a 086, no hard-disk, only two 5¼-inch floppy's (that was real DJ-ing) and green monochrome screen :P.

To name some of my oldtime arcade favorites:

crystal caves,
titus the fox,
prehistorik 1 and 2,
commander keen,
the amazing spider-man,
rick dangerous,
gods,
and so on...

Snake

1. The Adventures of Willy Beamish (Sega CD)
2. Collossal Cave Adventure (text adventure)
3. Faxandu (NES)

Willy Beamish brings me back to Friday nights eating grilled cheese made by my step dad, plain Pringles and a coke. I'd stay up all night reading every description, trying every branch, etc. I loved it. I'd like to jump back through time to those nights just for a moment. The funny thing about nostalgia, though one of the best feelings known to mankind, is that it can also make you miss those days, almost sadden you... almost long for it to be real again.

Collossal Cave, even though played long after it's initial release (got it for free through the Adventure Game Toolkit 1.7 download) brings me back to sitting in my room infront of my 386 with Win3.1 thinking of games I wanted to make, while playing this one.

Never finished Faxandu, but the music takes me back, like many other NES soundtracks.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk