How did you find AGS?

Started by Phemar, Mon 14/06/2004 14:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Wormmaster

One site had a link to AGS-game, which's name I can't remember, because that site is now vanished...

Ghost

It was GIGA GAMES that brought me and SGS together. They had a little report about AGS and offered version 1.52 (i think) on their homepage. I always wanted to do this adventure game about a student girl in a ghost mansion, but so far i had no idea what engine would be best (my first shot was way back... i used klik'n'play... worst mistake i ever made).
so i tried AGS and was extremely surprised how good it was- next day i browsed the web for the homepage and BANB- I'm here to stay!

Renegadestryker

I actually found it while searching for a Maniac Mansion download and Bam I was hooked.  I'm still learning the ropes but so far its an awesome program.  Way better than Rpg maker 2000

rtf

I played "Out of Order" once last summer, and I loved it.  I then played every Point and Clicker I could find.  Yet, I don't remember  ever playing an AGS game until January of this year.  It was "The Uncertanty Machine."  I was trying to figure out AGAST, because I started to really enjoy the genre(and I thought I should try to make one). 
I was linked to the development tool of "The Uncertainty Machine", and I was hooked.  Within a month, I had finished my first game.

Just think.  If ratracer was never born, I wouldn't be here today...
I fail at art.

GuyLaDouche

I was looking for some new simgle player Halflife modifications when I came across this site made by someone name Blended who made games on a whole. He made Halflife maps, Quake maps, and made an AGS game, where I found the link to this website. I'm one of those action-game obsessed dumbasses, but I still prefer a puzzle involving items, Monkey Island Series is a fave. I have them all :). I actually found this recently, and am still learning the tutorial.

remixor

I don't really remember, but it has to trace back to Mixnmojo for me somehow.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Primus

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar)

frenchy_117

I might as well put my story here to.

I was a little boy... I played games all the time, but I could never find the one that had EXACTLY what I wanted. Everything. So I looked around game makers and after hearing top remarks for AGS I decided to try it. Then found more games and am now crawling back to it. ;D
The game is good and i am ugly. dont ever expect the whole package. Thr road through life!!!

Batgirl1979

I am quite sure it was through a game link from The geek forums or from looking up a walkthrough for something I was playing, I think one of the Ron games.
A witty saying proves nothing~Voltaire

viktor

I wanted to make a patform game and found it on a nother website (can't recal the name right now). I actualy had it instaled on to my computer before but then I was about 13 years old and I wasn't interested in making any games. And I seemed so complex on forstsight so I delete it (duh, if I only knew).
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Mats Berglinn

Ok, here's the story about how I found AGS.
It was back in 2002 when I found Night of the Hermit on World of Monkey Island. I downloaded it and played it. I liked the game and had an urge to make my own adventure game. I contacted Roy Lazorovich and asked him how to make Adventure games. He told me about AGS and gave me the link to it. So I checked it out and downloaded the program. At that time I got the Dos version of it and it was really complex to understand how it worked, so I gave up. About the same peroid I got myself my first chatmate Chris Page (known as cpage) and he knew about AGS and told me that there was a Windows version. So I went there, downloaded it and started to experiment with it. That's how I end up here.

Lazy Z

If I remember correctly, I first read about it in an EGM article. I visited the website but didn't download it, for some reason. At some point last year, and after playing some games such as the King's Quest remakes, I decided to download it after all. I think the first version I downloaded was 2.54.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Alynn

Well, I was a frequent member of a RM2K website and staffmemeber as a midi maker... Then someone posted on the forum about a game over at Gaming World called 5days a stranger by Yahtzee...

Anyway I played it, and remembered how much fun I had with kings quest and space quest and all those games... when I found it was made on AGS I got it and downloaded it... when i found it had its own scripting language I got to work (rm2k is all click based scripting)... I program for a living, and as a hobby, so I was amazed on how fast I was at scripting things, even not knowing the scripting language at all... anything I didn't know how to do I searched the manual... I think I asked like 2 or 3 questions on the beginners tech and boom... been here since then... and that game is STILL in production... interupted on account of war :P...

I love that I can use that as an excuse....

EDIT: I remembered the name!!!

Thananda

I was browsing the Underdogs site, when I found out, the KQ games and Lure of the temptress are downloadable from AGS  8)

stw

I was searching for old adventure games when I found the AGD website with KQ1 & 2 remakes. I played them & loved them and decided to check out AGS.

Ishmael

AJA told me. I tried it, but the work was sticky, so I gave up.... We had "The Island" as a team project, I didn't do anything else for then the story and one character, so no AGS there. Then, I one day visited the forums, signed up, but didn't read much, nor post anything.

Maybe a half a year later from that, I gained interest on AGS, because of the Windows Roomedit (which of AJA told me, aswell), and started posting on the forums, shortly after I started using AGS. I didn't post on the tech forums though, only in the Critcs lounge and GIP, and when I had gained some knowledge on AGS, I started trying to help out on the beginners tech, and asking some advanced questions on the Tech Forum....

So I started my first small scale project, which didn't turn up pretty much anything, a start of a story, a few characters and backgrounds, all graphics and AGS work gone for some reason, but the story is still somewhere archived on my laptop... I swaer(sp?) I will some day finish the story and make that game. Well, anyway, shortly after that I started another project, which dried out too, and AJA closed it's topic in the GIP >:( (well, a mod locked it, but so to speak)... That game I will not return to, most likely... I started a third project, which still lays unfinished on my laptop... There's even an open thead for it in the GIP, I shall get back to it too.... memories....

Happy now?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Cluey

I was on Ambrosines Site i think, looking for a Strategy game maker, but AGS caught my eye.

Im still shite at programming though :P
Aramore
My webcomic.

CoffeeBob

I got a guide on how to make games in GameMaker (which sucks big time) from a friend because I was testing it out a little.
In the guide there was two links to other game-making programs,
some 3D pinball-program which I forgot the name of (if someone know, please tell me where to find it ) and AGS.
Since I love point n' clicks I figured, "What the heck, I could try it out!" and that's how it all started for me :)

Mr Flibble

Well, for me it started around 2 years ago. I'd played every single LEC adventure, MI last for some reason.

Noticing the lack of similar games, I quickly took to the internet. I'd been to the AGS site a few times before I actually downloaded it.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get to grips with it (at all) so I gave up.

Around...10 months ago, I picked it up again, and here I am, fulfilling my dream of an MI (shudder)-fangame.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Bugalicious

well a long long time ago, in a land far far away... hmm well probably not a land far away, but hmmm where was i? oh yeah. I was interested in game making since i found some program that allows u to right IF. At the time i thought wicked, cool, awsome. I looked on another site and found AGS. At the time it was still DOS. didnt do much with it though. but I still made a couple small demo-y games with it. Then all of a suddern windows came out and the forum was booming. but for some strange reason I havnt been able to make anything with the windows version. Even though it would probably be easier to use, i kinda miss the harder dos ways. Oh and graphical scripts rocked!
Bugs Page Is Here!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk