How did you find AGS?

Started by Phemar, Mon 14/06/2004 14:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

remmies

I found it on a huge list of game making programs and this was the best!

Blessed

I downloaded '5 Days A Stranger' from http://www.the-underdogs.org and I learned that it was made using AGS... and well, yeah. ;)

Layabout

February 2000. I was randomly looking for information on Game Development Engines one day, and on one site I came to I found a link to AGS. So I played a few of the games, Then I started posting.

Back in the good ol' EZBOARD days. :)
I am Jean-Pierre.

Anarcho

I think I might have first stumbled across AGI after finding Al Lowe's website, downloaded my childhood favorite The Black Cauldron...I think i fiddled around with AGI, didn't like it...but then I think that site linked to theunderdogs, and then i think that led me to AGS.Ã,  I played 2ma2's games, the Kings Quest remakes, and was very impressed both with what people had done, and what you can do.Ã,  I think i tried out graphics with paintshop pro, but was frustrated...and it wasn't till many months later when i was unemployed in berlin that i sat down and started to really work on graphics and a game...thanks largely in part to the tutorial on kafkakoffee (thanks eric!).Ã,  and that's that.

-Logan

Oliver

Well...
I was (and still am) making games with AGI.
It's a good program, only if the graphics weren't so bad.
So I thought I'd look for something better. So I looked and I looked and finally found AGS.
At first I made some crappy games wich I never released. I just tried the program.
It was easier to make games too. I could make a game without knowing any programming languages. But the possibilitys what you could do in the game were much more less without any AGS programming skills. So I learned a bit the programming langugage.
You got it!

Coming Soon!

Domino

A couple of years ago i was searching for ways to make my own adventure games.Ã,  I stumbled upon this certain website that allowed you to make your own point and click adventure games (AGS), but at the time AGS was still DOS only and i really couldn't get the hang of the editor.Ã,  I kept checking back and it finally was released for windows, so i downloaded AGS and also joined the forums back in August 2003.

Blitzerland

I was looking for a good program to write a game, and I found AGS on some list (the name of which escapes me at the moment).

G

That's a long story.

Since I have memory, the dream of my life was make my own videogame. I was a child, i played  games like Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle, And then I said, I have to makle one of these. My own adventure game.

Years passed, And I was fourteen. Some friends and I found a program that at first time looked easy to use, and allowed us to make simple games. We made a little very silly games of the tipical spaceship tha kils martians. That was so simple, that was our first step into the world of programation and creation of games, but that wasn't still my dream.

Two years passed, and we found RPG Maker and MUGEN, but we never enden a game with those programs. We made up an amateur group dedicated to just trying to make an acceptable game. But we failed at the attemp.

Finally, one yaer ago, I made the discover. In a page "witch name I don't want to remeber", I found a link to the web page of a programthat was said that was able to create Adventure Games easily. I though :"that's not possible, I must be just another program like RPG Maker, that makes all the games equal" But I found the program, saw it was free, installed it, and started to think tha heaven finally gave me the key to make my chilhood dream come true. I started building my dream with a game that my friends though it should be unfinnished, like the ones before I discovered AGS.

Has passed a year since that, and I'm just a few days of work of making true my dream, with the game that my friends though I could not finnish.

That's my story about how I discovered AGS.

Mephistophilis

I got Nostalgic  over Indy and during my Search Stumbled over The Fountain of Youth project and then onto AGS but I may have crossed t in my younger days and Found it to Damn complicated but may have been another Engine.
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

mousemat

Edit by Andail: This is what he said:

My friend was looking for a game making programme, and he came across AGS. Now we are making one game each, although his one is not going to be released for another two years, as it is a huge adventure game.
I, however, just stick with the basics.
If it weren't for Google, I wouldn't be here.
Oh yer moon walkin'
www.freewebs.com/bkreview/

Mephistophilis

Thanks Andail can never understand what some of these people say!
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

UP

Well I was looking at adventuregamers.com 's underground games-section, and checked out some game (possibly Ben Jordan 1) and then was directed here by a link... Then gazed around and saw that it was good! And then decided one day I'd make something out of it! Wich I still haven't... :P Just a little by little... I really should gather myself up and focus on this for a few days straight...

RLacey

I read an article in PC Gamer UK a few years back when several authors of Monkey Island fangames were sent cease-and-desist letters by LucasArts. It had a quotation from Mixnmojo, and, my interest stirred by the discovery of a LucasArts fan-site, I typed in the first web-address that came into my head. Thank goodness www.mixnmojo.com was correct :S.

From Mixnmojo I found a link to MonkeyGames (who were at that time hosted by them), and played The Treasure of Drunk Island. I also took a look at the ideas for their new game, which was to be made using SCRAMM.

Ben Croshaw joined MonkeyGames, and I saw his Rob Blanc games appear on the MonkeyGames website - naturally, I played them. These led me to the AGS website, and my permanent state of defiantly NOT releasing a game. One day, I will, honest...
http://www.laceyware.com - Free Games!

http://www.adventuregamers.com/underground - I'm a writer, don't you know...

shbaz

It was a long time ago. I think I was in the eighth grade.. which would be about 1999, but it's hard to be sure. Anyway, I was browsing game links at thefreesite.com, and found dosgames.com. Dosgames.com had a link to AGS, which I found and played around with briefly. Some time later (unsure of how long) I found the forum and at the time posted as Trouble1201. Mostly I've just hung around and played other people's games, though I've made some small twerpy test games from time to time. When I found it I had big plans, that fell through.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

stu

i remember googling for an 'adventure game creator' a few years ago... i tried a few out.. AGAST, Sludge and AGS. i had spells with all of them but i finally stuck with AGS cause it's the easiest!

i used to hang around the Glumol forums, awaiting it's releasal.. jesus, that went down the pan.

asidman2001

well it all started when i got into adventure games like kings quest then i just kept hopping from link to link till i eventually found ags
monkeys scare me

Pelican

I was skimming through Underdogs, despairing at the lack of point and click adventure games these days, and decided on a whim to simply type 'Point and click adventure games' into a search engine. AGS was the first link. Simple as that.

I always had the vague idea of making my own game, but as yet, I've simply been downloading and playing the games on offer. I'm rather an adventure game addict, so I was almost overwhelmed by the number of games, and all free! How did I manage before? Lol.

Minimi

At a certain moment in my life, precisely 28th of April 2003, I wondered weither there would be any freeware point&click adventures around, after I finished Jack Orlando.

I searched for it... and finally somehow came onto the AGS site! I was like amazed! I told all my friends about it...so I told no one! ;)  hehe...

Mr Jake

it appeard dosgames.com is reponsible for quite a few of us :)

Phemar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk