How did you find AGS?

Started by Phemar, Mon 14/06/2004 14:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

vict0r

I wanted some free adventure games, and so i searched for free adventure games. And when i saw the magical text "Adventure game studio" i clicked it, and downloaded it.

I think...

The Inquisitive Stranger

I found AGS around the time I was still planning on making Cubert Badbone with SCRAMM but decided that it was useless to wait around and started looking for another engine. So, I downloaded it, played around with it a bit...

AND HATED IT!

Which, of course, led me to use AGAST instead, and then SLUDGE.

And that's my story.
Actually, I HAVE worked on a couple of finished games. They just weren't made in AGS.

AlbinoPanther

Get out of here you AGS hater
*zzzap zzzapp zap you were killed by the LJUBI - do you want to restore game or quit -

Dr Lecter

I played Pleurghburg, not realizing that it was made using a free program, then I found 5 Days a Stranger and decided to find out what was so special about this so called "AGS". Thus I visited this site, made about 4 games and released none. ;D

Jhumjhum

I started playing computer games after my college exams in 2001. I didn't know a thing about games before that (except the spelling).

Was led into Gamehippo.com Tried a couple of RPGs(hated many because I died to fast), discovered Rob Blanc series--the first adventure games I played(didn't know it was made using AGS then) I loved them. That led me to ambrosine.com & I found Pleurghburg. Played it & enjoyed it tremendously. Found out it was made using 'Adventure Game studio' & got to the site.

I played every game I could download. Visited the forums everytime I could get opportunity(sometimes hours at a day).

PS: I'm probably one of the older members here but I post very less and like to browse & read what others say. (My real life personality getting reflected here) so I'm probably still thought as a newbie.  ;)

Nine Toes

...I could have SWORN I replied to this topic a few times already...

*looks around at all of the moderators*
...One of you doesn't like me...

I found AGS on Yahoo! search.  I wanted to make games, so I typed something along the lines of "free game making software" and hit the enter key.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Corey

you are right... the people on this forum are the shit, look as those awsome art every1 here can make...  :)
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

Clip

How I have found AGS?
Well my brother suggested this program to me. And now I am trying to make my first game. Thats the story.

scourge

I downloaded some free adventure games from free games sites like underdogs, etc. After playing all of them I couldn't understand why Chris Jones was on al the exes. I thought, geez, this guy makes a lot of adventure games. But then I realized he made the actual engine, the rest is history ...

Some of those games were Cirque de Zale, Apprentice 1 and one of Yakhzee's games

ManicMatt

Quote from: buloght on Thu 26/01/2006 20:59:42
After playing all of them I couldn't understand why Chris Jones was on al the exes. I thought, geez, this guy makes a lot of adventure games.

HAHAHA that's exactly what I thought at first!  :D

Saberteeth

I read an article in a Slovenian magazine(Joker, to all you Slovenians) and di this... :o

...the rest is history...

Sektor 13

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

Well, I searched the net for game making programs, and I found AGS! Simple but true!
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

SmootH

Well, a friend of mine and recent media darling (I'm going to get kicked in the shins for that one) The Ivy, introduced me to the blue cup with her game, Spooks. Though I doubt she thought I would join this forum and embarrass her infront of her internet friends.

ps. she is slightly more sassy in real life than she is on the board.
There is nothing, NOTHING ointment can't cure!

The Ivy

Quote from: SmootH on Mon 27/02/2006 22:27:34
Well, a friend of mine and recent media darling (I'm going to get kicked in the shins for that one) The Ivy, introduced me to the blue cup with her game, Spooks. Though I doubt she thought I would join this forum and embarrass her infront of her internet friends.

ps. she is slightly more sassy in real life than she is on the board.

Sassy?  Well, maybe they just haven't made the right emoticon for sass. :P  I hope you realize that as the only one on these boards who knows me in real life, you'll be subject to all sorts of interesting questions.

"What kinds of shoes does The Ivy wear?"
"Can she recommend a reliable automobile?"
"Does she take her coffee black, like her men?"
etc.

Welcome to the boards, SmootH. ;)

P.S. I found AGS through a friend.  If you beat my game, she's mentioned in the credits.

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: The Ivy on Tue 28/02/2006 00:06:37

Okay, let's just wait until someone makes the obvious joke... :P

The Ivy

Quote from: dkh on Tue 28/02/2006 00:08:46

Okay, let's just wait until someone makes the obvious joke... :P

Um, I thought that was the obvious joke.Ã,  Hey, I don't discriminate. :)
For the record, though, I prefer tea.

SmootH

Sassy?  Well, maybe they just haven't made the right emoticon for sass. :P  I hope you realize that as the only one on these boards who knows me in real life, you'll be subject to all sorts of interesting questions.

See look at that sass! Sass, I say! Luckily I have a blanket answer for all those questions: Knowing ruins the mystique like when a magician you shows you how to do the disappearing elephant trick and then you get banned from the Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey's Circus for life. 

And when it comes to guys, if this is all jokes,  its the size of his, you know. You Know *wink Wink, Nudge Nudge* wallet

ps - According to New York State law, if an elephant gives you a funny look you DO NOT have the right to make it disappear.
There is nothing, NOTHING ointment can't cure!

Kaelem Gaen

Actually, I stumbled acrossed a mention of it on a Gamemaking Community forum (GamingW) when i was doin the RPG thing.... and I downloaded it and tried it, couldn't do stuff with AGS, so I just went on to DLing the games and playing em, cause I loved like King's Quest... though I've found games here that are plenty better then KQ.
~ Chaos, panic, disorder...  My work is done here. ~

monkey0506

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Tue 19/07/2005 03:31:33
I just found it.  That's all.  I just...found it.  There was no means of how I did it.  I just did.  I just downloaded it.  And started using it.  No story.

Wow I'm a liar.

I'm a huge fan of Monkey Island, so one day I was searching Google for Monkey Island sites, and came across MILegend.  Well...that eventually led me to Fangames.co.uk due to the number of users that visited both sites.

This, in turn, led me to read this article written by the one and only ED.  Imagine my joy when I realized that normal regular people were making computer games from home...and for free!

I looked around for probably 6 months to a year before settling down here...no offense...but Roger and the default GUI really scared me (I questioned the engine's graphic abilities).

Some time later (a few months perhaps?) I decided that one particular feature (which shall remain undiscussed) that I desperately needed and wasn't implemented was important enough that I would go use AGAST instead.

It didn't take long for me to realize I did not have the type of coding experience AGAST would require of me.  So I came back to AGS...learned how to code...learned how to actually use AGS...and never ever ever ever even dreamed of leaving again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk