How did you find AGS?

Started by Phemar, Mon 14/06/2004 14:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

Well, I was searching the internet for a good programme to make my own games with.

After I tried GameMaker and RPG maker I found AGS 8).

I don't have to tell which I loved most. ;)
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Anym

I think I first read about it on the forums of SCRAMM or mabye RoBOT at the International House of Mojo, but I didn't find any finished games back then and it looked like being limited to Sierra style games, so it didn't catch my attention until the first games were mentioned on the Home of the Underdogs forums.
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

Polecat

Looking for abandonware of old adventure games and started running into AGS games. Now to create my dream project. Muahahahahahaha.  ;D
Currently Reading: Soldier of the Mist
Last Read: Stardust [+++]
Playing: Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Recently Played: The Dig [+++]

Nathan23

well well, let me see.. oh yes.. I remenber now..
I was looking for KQI and i find KQI remake vga(which was great), and then I know that was developed under AGS... curious..ahh..??

SinSin

Always wanted to make a game like Monkey 1 + 2    googled How to make adventure games and bob is indeed your uncle...
Currently working on a project!

deadsuperhero

How did I find AGS?
Well, I was going into the sixth grade, and I thought I was awesome because I had Game Maker 4. (ugh)
My only problem with it was that it couldn't make good adventure games. I didn't do anything about it until one day, my mom said Tierra had remade King's Quest I and II. This amazed me that a team of people could make a game, and I wondered where I could get it. I had been playing Sierra games since I was three years old, and I had a geek-ish family, so when Mom told me they made it with this neat little program called AGS, I jumped at the chance to download it.
I fiddled around with it and got...
NOTHING!
I had no idea how to use walkable areas, or even script.
A few months later, after I got the hang of it, I started to make a crappy game called Sean's Quest. It was basically about me, and was composed of ripped screens. (it was fun though because you ould beat up King Graham)
I actually finished that game, but I never released it. Maybe someday.
Anyway, I continued to work with AGS for a good 4 years. I'm still not amazing at scripting, but I love AGS so much that I just keep trying.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

CaptainBinky

Waaaay back when, when The Forgotten Element was going to be an RPG I went browsing for free RPG making packages. From here, I found a link to all manner of different freeware game makers including AGS. The thing was, my initial impressions of AGS were not... ummmm... all that great. The other game creators I downloaded were more obviously game creators in the sense that upon firing up the tool, there was a screen, a sprite window, and perhaps as close to a Wizard for getting going. Whereas AGS was a treeview with no immediately obvious "this makes adventure games" kind of feel to it.

However, it stayed on my harddrive (given that the game was going to be an RPG, I didn't really look into AGS as anything more than a curiosity).

Slowly, over time, the game evolved into a point-and-clicky and I figured I'd show Lemmy AGS to see what he thought. By this time, I'd browsed this forum a bit and was a little more convinced of the power of AGS.

So I fired it up and showed it to Lemmy. Lemmy took one look at the scripting language and the plugin support and said "YES! Brilliant!" shortly followed by "OMG! CJ's written Intellisense!". And we were sold and we've been floating around here ever since.

Huzzah!

Cap'n Binky

A Lemmy & Binky Production

Mad-Hatter

Acqua-Akumayo.

I was bored one day, so Ak suggested I try out AGS. I worked on a game for a few days before I got bored again, and he suggested I look around the AGS Boards for inspiration.

Now I'm helping him with story designing. ^_^ See? I'm contributing!
"I have books on philosophy, religion, and politics, therefore everything I say is precise and accurate. That being said, the fact that I've never read so much as the first page of any of these books should not only be ignored, but disregarded entirely."

Kharn

Was looking for old abandoned point and clicks and stumbled upon Yahtzee's 5 Days a stranger and its sequel. Because of that i stumbled across big blue cup and now i spend more time playing these homemade ags games than i do playing the ones i spend £30 on. I now also have no life. cheers!

limeTree

I used to made RPG games with RPG maker 2000,20003 etc.
WHen i got my copmuter repaired i searched for the internet for a newer version of RPG maker and there was a list of another adventure related makers.
I thought,oh another old,free trial,one houndred hours to download maker but i almost cried when i realised what i have found.

Peder 🚀

If I remember correctly I found a AGS DVD in a bin with a note on it saying:
Please return if found.

It had the adresse to Chris Jones on it.
Dunno how he managed to loose that here in Norway.

Anyway, back to the truth.
I think I found AGS back in 2001 somehow, not 100% sure how, but think I was looking for programs to make my own Adventure games as I was playing the Monkey Island games alot.

skyfire2

I got tired of coding and started google searching for gamer makers and thise is what I found.

thewalrus

I believe that I was on dogpile searching for free adventure games and up popped the link to AGS. At first I was like what the hell is this??? But then I downloaded a few games and thought wow this is pretty cool..... I have the game maker but I lack the talents to make my own game. Although I'd like to.... Maybe someday....

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

CMonkey

Back in 2000 I was at uni and we'd just made a text based adventure game for a software engineering project. I realised after this I could never enjoy programming boring business applications and wanted to make a game, not a game engine so I found AGS and started a small project, which became Just Another Point n Click Adventure... and a bizillion years later i'm even thinking about finishing it. I might even resign to the fact that i'll have to do the art myself.

Just Another Point n Click Adventure was my ticket into the games industry as a programmer, and now i'm working for Codemasters on next-gen Colin McRae Rally =0). Though i'd still rather work on a 320x200 point n click adventure for PC.

Adventure games are the best games around, and thanks to AGS they'll never die!
Andrew

gypsysnail

I found it not so long ago. I had originally gotten AGI but gave up on it as it wasnt working for me either, and forgot about it all when I got too busy with my studies. I have only just recently revisited my great love for games and thought about making my own games. So I looked for a way to do this and emailed someone who was a game developer and he referred me to another game developer. Must I mention both are real talented and make great games. Anyway the 2nd game developer told me about AGS so I came here to have a look and was hooked! I have spent the last week reading all the manuals and threads :) and have now been working on graphics, backgrounds, sprites and characters. Very excited! A HUGE thank you to CJ for making this program and to the forum members for helping and supporting each other at this forum site :). This would have to be my all time fav forum site out of many I have visited in the past.
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

FSi++

Hmm, how did I find AGS...
I just stumped on it somewhere on my hard drive. Oh yeah, it even wasn't my hard drive, it was a backup I burn onto DVD-R. And by looking through it randomly I found strange archive called adventuregamestudio.rar. The name was SO tempting... (I used G.A.C. back on Spectrum)
I really do not know how it appeared there. Really.
It was divine intervention or some PC magazine CD which I've looked through, picked up some software in a separate folder and forgot.

Ackart The Fox

Years upon years upon years ago, I got a magazine called "Game Development Magazine" or some crazy voodoo like that. I bought it for the Half Life tutorials (I learned how to make a switching light! Woo!) and stayed when I found the article on AGS.

However, today? I just found it via Google with the LetsMakeaGameItch running along my back.

ps. Hi!

Candall

I was showing MI3 to a younger friend of mine who had never been introduced to adventure games, and that gave me the itch to play through Grim Fandango again, and by the time I got to the end, I had decided that I was going to make my own adventure game or go nuts.  I wracked my brain for a puzzle scenario and started thinking about characters.  The wheel stopped on "robot."  From there, I started developing a premise.

It then occurred to me that I'm not a programmer.

I knew that there were some clever folk out there hacking SCUMM, but after some Google work it became apparent that this wasn't for me.

Some last-ditch, desperate Googling finally led me to AGS.

thewalrus

Welcome to the forums and the community, Ackart The Fox! You will find everyone here to be very polite and helpful! Thanks for joining our community!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Sakkeus

I was browsing for game creating tools, then I finally found AGS. I couldn't believe, that this tool was any different compared to other crappy tools. I downloaded and played 5 days a stranger (If I remember right) and was amazed that how great quality games you could do with AGS.
Well, then I downloaded and started it, now my first game is under construction (still ;) )
That's it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk