How did you find AGS?

Started by Phemar, Mon 14/06/2004 14:59:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Iliya

I found AGS in google when I was looking for a game engine to make adventure games. Now I have 2 games - Cosmos Quest I and Cosmos Quest II.

JuuJuu

I went to google desperate to find a new point and click game. (I played Monkey Island, Laura Bow, Space Quest, Kings Quest, and Inherit the earth about 1,000 times now..and wanted something new.)

I searched around for awhile until it popped up with some article on 5 days a stranger. I clicked on the link they gave me, and it took me to AGS. 5 days a stranger was my first AGS game, then 7 days a skeptic. I was so in love with these games, and they still stand as have favorite AGS games. (along with 6 days a sacrifice, and trilby notes.)

But i pretty much has downloaded any AGS game that looked appealing to me! I pretty much love this site.

derboo

I think I read in a magazine about Maniac Mansion Deluxe. Of course i went to download it immediately and thus eventually found out about AGS...

Jeopardy

I first downloaded it around 1999 or so, I was twelve at the time, I desperately tried to edit that first room, but I had no idea what I was doing, back then the program was SOOO intimidating, especially to a twelve year old, the most I knew how to do with a computer was play Space Quest 3 (yes Space Quest 3, not 6, I'm old school) and then a few days ago I was sitting around the house (as I tend to do) and I thought, you know, that would proabably be easier to use know, so I downloaded the program and started working my way through the tutorial, when I was finished I thought to myself "Is that really the prgram that scared me so much as a child?", now I'm happily trudging along in the production of my very first adventure game.

Sorry, I'm sorta long winded.
Jeopardy Games "The Totem of Souls" Currently in production
The Other Side of the WORLD my webcomic

Wonkyth

Once I piked up a DemoDisk.
thats how it all started.
it had SpiderWeb Software's "Exile 2: Crystal Souls" on it.
so eventually I found their website, I played all their games.
back in those days, they also were distributing "SubTerra" and "SubTerra II".
I found CrystalShard.
playing "WartHogs", "Root Of All Evil", and "Infinite Monkeys" I first experienced the joys of AGS games.
after Radiant made ATOTK I decided to look into this program that was bringing forth so many good games.
so there you have it.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

The Suitor

I used to be big into the Klik scene (K&P, CNC, TGF, MMF, all that crap), and I hated the genericness of it all--and i got bored of it. So, I searched for better engines on the net and found a link from some site(i don't remember). I remember when I was a kid playing King's Quest 6 so I downloaded it.

I looked at it, it was all too confusing to me, and I let it sit on my harddrive for God know's how long. A couple of months later i opened it up and something just clicked and I figured it out!

I hear that the K&P community has some pretty good stuff out there now, but I'm in love with AGS now, too much to go back.  :P

.M.M.

I found it (AGS 1.61  :) ) on CD which was with my favourite PC magazine- I did not like GameMaker so I tried this! And I must say (or write   ::) ) it was good choose!

Alarconte

I have been searching a good adventure game engine from about ten of twelve years ago to now. Finally, I don't know when, I find the Ms-dos AGS engine. It was a little complicated and I'nt success in making a decent demo, but some years later discover the windows version and was fascinating!
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

paolo

It started out with the first ever point 'n' click game I played, which was Chasm (a very cool Flash game - if you haven't played it already, search the web for: chasm point 'n' click). I wondered if there were any other point 'n' click games out there, and soon found there were hundreds, if not thousands.

Somewhere along the line I discovered the RON games, and from there it was a short jump to AGS. I couldn't get the hang of it at first, so I deleted it. Then a year or so later I thought I'd give it another go. As I'm not the best at drawing, programming being much more my bag, I teamed up with Ben304, posted loads of newbie questions to Beginners Technical Questions and Trance-Pacific was born...

Oliwerko

I first hit the site when I was reading the readme file for 5DAS. Simple as that.
I was lucky Yahtzee gave credits  :)

Andromeda

Once upon a time, years ago, there was a girl who loved adventure games, and played her brother's games night and day until they were all finished. This prompted her to search far and wide on the 'net for "Quest for Glory" fan games, until she came upon QFG 4 1/2, ignored the warnings and played the inappropriate and hilarious game all the way through. From there, with her curiosity peaked, she discovered an amazing site where adventure fanatics had created their own games. She proceeded to play them when she should have been doing work, and thus the habit formed.

I'm thinking about selling the rights for the movie.  :P
"What do you think of this worm?" "It's dead." "Of course it's dead! Why else would it be in my pocket?"

arj0n

First i found some older progs like SCI Studio, roomedit & more of those.
Then I found Quest for Glory 4 1/2 on the net, when the site of that game was still alive.
After that I found the famous KQ1 remake of AGDI, the KQ2 remake was still not released.
I remember there was a site that was first called "Doors of Destiny" and later transformed into fanventures.com. It was done by Broomie (Jamie Broom) who is now doing PR of infamous-adventures.com. fanventures.com had real cool ags game info and interviews, but went down :-(
So, to keep short, I found the AGS website thanx to Broomie's fanventures.com and AGDInteractive.com.

toonaholic

I used to be a regular reader of "all kinds of stuff" a blog by john k ( the guy who made ren and stimpy) and used to look at all the blogs of the people who commented on his blog and sorta follow a trail looking for good art.  I ran across a blog of a guy talking about his first game and how easy and great ags was and how it was free. so I downloaded his game ( some game about a yeti, I don't know who made it but I am forever indebted) and I loved it.  I had a flash back to "les manley search for the king" the first game I ever really spent hours playing, and also "sam and max".  so I downloaded it and was immediately hooked. now I don't go to john K's blog hardly ever I spend all my time here on the AGS forums thinking of Ideas for games researching the possibilities and playing the competitions.  man I love AGS.

Jared

I only really got into adventure games in about 1998/1999 - when the 'death' of adventure games was already being declared and they stopped coming out. After I played through Discworld 2, DoTT, S&M, the MI series, Grim Fandango and what Space Quests I could I looked around online for more. Eventually I found adventuredevelopers.com (Incredible to think, that used to be a very good site!) and from there Yahtzee, and from there AGS.

When I downloaded it... I don't know, I was barely able to do anything without making it crash, it was early days. All I basically did was put some Bill Tiller stuff in there and walkable areas and I thought that in itself was pretty amazing. To my shame I found out about Glumol and was one of the crowd waiting out for 'something better', but AGS is definitely the best of the best, and now that I actually know how to program I'm making my own game and having a ball doing it.

I knew I was going to end up making a game one way or another. I don't know if anyone else has done this, but I've often spent my spare time writing walkthroughs for imaginary games...  :)

Nickydude

It's all thanks to densming and his amazing YouTube tutorials that brought me here.  :=
Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

AGS Beginner's Guide - All you'll ever need!

EKM

Since Maniac Mansion and Space Quest IV are my two favourite adventure games of all time, it was only natural that I'd think about them during a day of boredom. So, I basically googled for free adventure game downloads and the like. From there on, I found this site and was mesmerized by RON games.

F1ak3r

It's a little complicated.

Okay, here goes. I first discovered AGS sometime in 2005 when I saw a friend playing around with it. It's a bit hazy, but I think that, combined with playing Cirque De Zale (got it off a magazine cover DVD), got me interested in it, and so I copied it from said friend (he had version 2.62).

At the time, I was trying to make an adventure game in Game Maker, a program I had been using for only a few months, and naturally, was having difficulty. So I decided to switch to AGS, to see if that would make things easier.

It did. However, and I'll be honest here, I HATED working with AGS. The mixture of function_names_like_this and OnesLikeThis, combined with the iffy room editor with three seperate sections, in addition to the global and local messages, as well as the whole process you had to go through with strings, not to mention that horrid interation editor and the old resolution issues made me despise every moment I spent working in it. Yuck.

Anyway, I went back to using GM for the game after a while, and scrapped it a while later, for entirely non-technical reasons. But that's not important.

In April last year I read about AGS 3.0 in DevMag and decided to give the program another chance. Thank goodness I did.

The changes in version 3 are brilliant, absolutely marvellous. You (Chris Jones) have transformed a patchy, inconsistent, old-fashioned, clunky, illogical, and downright painful program into a streamlined joy. I salute you.

Ryan Timothy B

I don't believe I've ever mentioned how I fell into working with AGS.

A little over a year ago I downloaded a game called "Out of Order".  Brilliant little comedy game.  It was made with the SLUDGE adventure editor.
I had downloaded SLUDGE and started fooling around with the programming, walk-behinds and whatnot.  When I had come across a thread saying something about a memory leak if you exceed a certain amount of rooms and everyone was saying it will never be fixed, I decided SLUDGE wasn't for me.

After some searching I found out about AGS, it's great community and much better adventure engine.  So it was an easy decision to jump on over here.

And it has been very fun and easy to use.  With only a few minor bumps here and there, usually resolved, or with an easy workaround to get it to work.  I've been happy so far. :)

Stupot

I found it very pleasing, thanks for asking. ;)

InCreator

For me, AGS was logical step forward from AGI-Studio, which I used back then (2001?).
Since I'm ALWAYS looking for free game engines (even today), it was quite simple to find.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk