Remake of the Infocom classic, WISHBRINGER

Started by Anomaly, Thu 24/06/2004 08:29:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Anomaly

Hi everyone, I am new to posting here, I began doing this about 2 years ago and decided to pick it up a little bit.
Thought I would share with you all my work so far.Ã,  Some of the images will be worked more on.

Here is the post office obviously-

The cottage with the poodle (poodle shown belowÃ,  :o )

And here's the Rotary South (where west is pointing upwards or "north" if you may)

yip! yip! yip! this doggie wantsÃ,  a bone! (or a swift kick heh)

I am still exploring the AGS program and might need a bit of help from some of you more experienced game-makers.Ã,  Or I might even like som ehelp in some areas.Ã, 
Overall, I'd like to keep consistency in the art I've prepared throught the game and keep up the semi-cartooney / comic-book look.

Any comments welcome,
Anomaly
[/b]
"The room is bright. 
You are likely to be vomited upon by a Shrunk."

Minimi

Wow Anomaly, that's some fine art you got there! I'm looking forward to the game, because I really like the atmosphere already. I got one little thing though on the backgrounds. Could you change the sky colour to a more blue, colour and less grey, because now it has a sad feeling, though I think your backgrounds should look happy :)

Keep on the good work!

Kweepa

I've been toying with this idea (making a graphical version of an Infocom game) for a year or two, so obviously I think this is a great idea! I would go for Enchanter, Planetfall, or the Lurking Horror though - one of the Standard rather than Beginner titles.

Your artwork looks very nice - the only inconsistency in the backgrounds I can see is that the post office has slightly darker outlines than the other two.

Nice one!
Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Anomaly

hmm minimi , actually I am intentionally going for the grey, washed out slightly overcast, yet comfortable end of summer/beginning of fall type day.  It brings me a a more subtle and contemplative mood rather than blatant sad.  That's what I've always imagined the good side of the world to be in this game (the game's world switches to an evil one at night).
Thanks for the comment though.
"The room is bright. 

evilspacefart

wishbringer was among the first infocom games i played. the sky tone fits the mood of the game. got the mailbox?

pixelcat

Just wanted to say your backgrounds look excellent... I really like the style you have going.  I never played the original game, but it's probably similar to a lot of other text adventures.  Good luck with your future work.

Anomaly

Quote from: evilspacefart on Fri 25/06/2004 02:36:20
wishbringer was among the first infocom games i played. the sky tone fits the mood of the game. got the mailbox?
yep ... its a sprite (remember the mailbox battle ? heheh)
"The room is bright. 

Capn MucousArts

YARR!! That be lookin FREAKIN AWESOME matey!! :D
Seriously u got some brilliant BG there!! I especially like the focal points uve set...uhh landmarks...like the P.O. in the 1st...the lil house in the 2nd...and finally the Maginificent(really)Library in the 3rd...in all it just totally rox!!
PS:Could u tell me in what prog u did that?plz ;D

Anomaly

yarrr!Ã,  :D
well capn', I sketch on paper then trace in ink using a light table(light under a sheet of glass) to see through the paper then scan it then use photoshop and or fireworks to create layers of fills, shading etc. and add text.

on another point... I am thinking about using some 3D animation with a cell shader (renders like a cartoon) for the sprites.Ã,  I do ALOT of 3D animation, ( you can see my stuff here) so it would make things alot easier even while keeping the cartoonish look
I do have to say however that alot of the work I've seen using 3D incorporated into games like this have not worked that well aestheticly if you ask me.  there are some exceptions.. the clay stop motion used in the Neverhood games was incredible ( I also used to do alot of stop motion) 
I think that I may jsut experiment with it and see how it goes.. and do alot of working on the sprites in photoshop or after effects AFTER they've been rendered out of the 3D package .. to mix in nicely with the background. .and not to stand out like a sore thumb that just doesnt belong and hurt the feel of the game.. so if pulled off right... I can really see it being of use and work well.

OR (hehe) I can just stick with the quick-drawn spastic cartoon look that the poodle has

any comments?

Anomaly
"The room is bright. 

Capn MucousArts

Hmm...i like ur way of working :)
3D chars...hmm...dunno about that combo really...actually its coz i havent played any infocom classic text adventures...(tho i have most o them) so i really cant comment on the look/feel of the game :-[       
i chked out some of ur work...the gargoyle looks really good...
What prog didja use to make that(Max?Maya?)Ill be starting production of my very own Adventure Game very soon...just keep a look out for it ;)

PS:LMAO@MatrixII ;D   

Anomaly

lightwave for 3D
after effects for other effects

ps: yea that one took alot of takes.. its always fun messing around with your friends images on screen.... multiplying them etc.. heh..watch The Mocktrix heh watch my friend go up in smoke
"The room is bright. 

Sslaxx

Love those pictures! This is looking good! :)

This I'm looking forward to.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Dave Gilbert

Hey Anomoly!  I remember you showing this to me on IRC about two years ago.  Happy to see it's still underway. 

Anomaly

thanks!  lots of other things are on my plate righ tnow.. so its taking a back seat.. but if ever i have a moment of peace.. id like to start sketching out some more bg's
"The room is bright. 

Darth Mandarb

If you pick it back up just drop me a PM to let me know ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk