BOMBERMAN clone

Started by Dorcan, Tue 22/06/2004 01:14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorcan

Dorcan's Bomberman (that's not the title, I'm still trying to find one)

Recently I've been working hard on the AI of a bomberman for our school java programming project. The problem is, we only have to work on the AI, but not on graphics or interface, because they're already done... And I can say, they are uglyÃ,  ::)

So I've been thinking : "Why not trying to create a cuter bomberman with AGS ?" And that's what I've been doing for 2 weeks. Well, it's still not finished, and I must confess that I've "borrowed" the original bomberman guy from the game atomic bomberman and bomberman online, but I'm planing on drawing them myself.

Anyway, I'm quite satisfied with what I've got so far, but I think I will redo the interface, as I've made them quite quickly (with the help of some cheap photoshop filters)

For the moment, the game features :

-640x480 16bit graphics
-TCP-IP (LAN,Ã,  internet... thanks a lot for your plugin, A-V-O)
-Global Server
-up to 8 players in game
-up to 4 players on the same computer sharing the same keyboard (a bit unconfortable, but you can also use the mouse)
-In-game chat
-Artificial Intelligence (not done yet, I'm trying to transpose the Java code on ags. I'm using the Astar Pathinfing method btw)
-Map editor

Screenshots :
click on pictures to see them larger

Menu & Options

"create game", "join game", "options", "quit"

Servers room & Launching

"refresh", "direct connection", "Join"

In game ("duel" map type, the right one is a quick made "CMI" map)
Ã, 

Map Editor

:)

Ben

I don't know what to say. If you can make a bomberman clone with an adventure game engine, you are the man, plain and simple. The man.. That is all.

I love the graphics you have so far. The interface doesn't need any improvement in my opinion. I think you should focus on the in-game graphics.. They already look great, but they currently look a bit sterile.. But I can't make a bomberman clone, so what do I know?

Heh.. Really amazing work. I hope we can play a demo soon ;)

Snake

HOW the FUCK?!?!?!

I can't even make a stupid little turn-based battle game... and now look at THIS shit!1

*bends over backwards*
-----------------
Anyway, this looks incredibly awesome! Can't wait for it's release. I think the graphics are fine. I love Bomberman games. I think my favorite was Bomberman 2 for the NES. Man, I'd kiss your feet if you'd change the resolution to 256x239x8 ;)

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Pet Terry

I second Ben. This looks quite amazing :) Just reading through the list of game features gets the feeling that this is being made with another engine than AGS :)

So, keep it up, looking forward to it!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Chicky

me three, bloody amazing, i wouldnt have a clue where to start scripting that stuff, hell i have trouble scripting adventure games, let alone bomberman. Great stuff, cant wait to play.

Migs

Very nice work, Dorcan.  It's good to see someone using a-v-o's TCP/IP plugin.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Dorcan

Quote from: Ben on Tue 22/06/2004 03:27:11
I think you should focus on the in-game graphics.. They already look great, but they currently look a bit sterile..
Oh you're absolutely right, the board sprites are awful, but they weren't supposed to be pretty for the moment ;) I want to finish scripting the bomberman engine before working on the visual.
Quote from: Ben on Tue 22/06/2004 03:27:11
Heh.. Really amazing work. I hope we can play a demo soon
I almost have finished the scripting, there's only graphics left to do... So yeah you can expect a demo or full game soon.

Quote from: Snake on Tue 22/06/2004 05:06:51
Man, I'd kiss your feet if you'd change the resolution to 256x239x8 ;)
lol I could create a map with characters that would look like the old good bomberman :P

Quote from: Migs on Tue 22/06/2004 14:24:53
Very nice work, Dorcan.Ã,  It's good to see someone using a-v-o's TCP/IP plugin.
Yes, he made a wonderful work with this plugin. I was so excited when he released his creation, thinking about all the multiplayer games we could create with it... And now that I've finally understood the way his plugin works, I must say it was a really interesting experience.

:)
Thank you all for your comments

Manouche

Vel

great stuff, cant wait to play this online.

Dorcan

Thanks!

Ok, two new screenshots from the gameÃ,  :

Server room

"refresh", "direct connection", "Join"

CMI map ("quick" made again, I'll work on graphics later)

As you can see, I've managed to build a "fake" server with the help of a plugin I created.

The Idea :Ã,  The game try to connect to a PHP page of my website which contains all the servers data.
Each time someone create a new server, the web page is updated with the new IP address.Ã,  Also, when the page is requested, it removes each entry which hasn't been updated for 3 minutes.

The last thing I'm trying to achieve is the "Ping" system, but as I have to work for my exams, it will not be possible before a couple of daysÃ,  :-\

Redwall

Wow:  :o

One thing, it's "connection" not "connexion". (Unless the x is a Brit spelling)
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Dorcan

err... yes ! It's been corrected, thank you ! I allways do this mistake :P

Don't worry, I will ask someone to translate my game ;)

Kamellemann

Quote from: Dorcan on Mon 28/06/2004 22:30:23
err... yes ! It's been corrected, thank you ! I allways do this mistake :P

Don't worry, I will ask someone to translate my game ;)

Hi,
i can do the translation for you (german). Is it possible to download a demo of the game?

Cluey

Whimper, I loved Bomberman.
Wait I still do!
Again, good luck!
Aramore
My webcomic.

jannar85

Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Relight

Suh-weet. I love Bomberman. Been re-enjoying it and BM2 with PNES on my GBA SP 8)

wyr3x

kool game  !!!, i`m gonna test it ... NOW!!!
waiting for the AG of the century .....

wyr3x

before anybody can say anything, i was speaking of the old one .....  i liked the graphics so much, and what everybody said about the old one.....
and, i`ll be waiting for it .......
waiting for the AG of the century .....

mousemat

wow i really like the old bomberman get the rest finished because i am
doanloading this game as soon as it is doanloadable. The emotion says it all>>>:o
Oh yer moon walkin'
www.freewebs.com/bkreview/

Baz

OMG that is amazing, i love bomberman i remember the old days playin it on the gameboy. cant wait to paly the demo or the full game :D. *waits impatientyl*

Remember God once said never kick a stray dog...............bite it instead!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk