Insta-Game 3 years later.

Started by MrColossal, Tue 08/06/2004 06:08:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylpher

I would like to first of all point out Rodekill and Cornjobs additions to IG. They were very well done and IMO sorely under appretiated.

As far as new content goes. Both eric and I were a bit discourged to add new things when the old was hardly even being used.. Like "What's the use?". I can understand people using the graphics simply as placeholders and for test games because they are great pieces of art. Easy to throw in AGS and mess with rather then throwing something together in paint. Which is fine as far as I am concerned but I think it is that eric and I felt like we did a pretty big service for the community.

The response we got back in the original thread (I don't even know if it is still around but if it is go take a look) was amazing. We spent at least two months on IRC swapping images.. discussing characters and planets and ideas and structures and all that (And eric it was hella fun.. I never told you but it rocked).. And everything seemed to go great. It is like a game that you make and it is just a good time and everything lines up perfect.

But something didn't add up. In the end it wasn't used. I am with eric in the sentiment that we aren't upset or angry.. We want to know what WE did wrong. We want to know why if the creation was great. The response was great. And even the first couple months there was a lot of promise.. What in the end just kept everyone away?

I mean this month alone IG has gotten nearly 600 downloads (straight downloads.. not hits).. What are 600 of you doing with it??

Just curious.. :)

shbaz

The advertising wasn't that great, I've never heard of it until this thread and I've been back for months now, nevermind that if this started 3 years ago I was here then. Must have missed the thread or something.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Evil

Its all over. I think somepeople have it in their sigs, and many have links off their websites. But I think the major issue is that the people that need these, or want to learn from them, are people that think "Space games are teh sux0rs." I say add more themes.

Something else I think may be helpfull would be to have everyone link to Eric's tutorial. That way people can get the idea of it, before they download it.

Andail

Quote from: Sylpher on Wed 09/06/2004 00:22:05
Both eric and I were a bit discourged to add new things when the old was hardly even being used.. Like "What's the use?".

Hmm...a logical faux pas, imo. On the contrary, more people will use it if you make it more extensive.

if CJ had used that argument, we wouldn't have AGS :)

But I see where you're heading.

MrColossal

except CJ didn't update AC to AGS until people started asking him to... or until people started using it...
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

MillsJROSS

Eric...I only made one game out of it. However, I did, and still do, have plans to make a sequel to my first IntastGame...in fact I planned on making a series. In fact, I have all the puzzles mapped out. So what's stopping me? I've commited myself not to work on anything else until AQ2 is finished, whenever that is.

As mentioned before, though. The graphics were limited to spacey games. It only had one tune (remind me to give you the tunes I made for mine). The file conversion was a bit on the annoying side. Mind you, the way you packed it, saved space...but perhaps you should point people to a free application that converts the files, so they can edit them.

I also feel that as the community is growing, and we get more poeple with artistic abilities, that people feel the need to make a game with millions of colors, when 256 will do. And while the graphics were great three years ago (and still are today), the community tends to go a different direction with graphics. Also, another problem, lies in that it's hard to edit these characters when you didn't make them. So if I want the main character to do something you haven't made, then I would have to go to you to make him. Because obviously I can't draw otherwise I wouldn't be using this tool.

As said, it's also used for people to practice with...so it is getting use, even though you don't see it. And you never know...I might just throw out a short InstaGame for the hell of it now (probably won't be involved with the last one). I think it's a great tool, and have always said so. I think that adding more graphics, and characters, would help to allow people to use this more.

-MillsJROSS

Ashen

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but I've got a related question:
Is it O.K. to modify the graphics in the Instagame pack (e.g. recolour characters, add new bits to the backgrounds, etc), or should I just get on with making my own from scratch?

Like a lot of people, I guess, I dl'd the package when I first started using AGS, so I'd have some pre-done stuff to play with. Also like a plot of people though, I stopped using it when I realised the graphics wouldn't fit into the High Res, Mega Colour, 1,500 room, BEST AGS GAME EVAH!!!1!!!11 I had planned. Now I'm a little more experienced, I've decided to use it again, just to get something made. I would like it if the characters had up/down walkcycles, though. And, as has been said in a bunch of posts, different themes of packs would be nice, and although I can see why you wouldn't want to bother if you didn't think they'd be used, if you make them, they will get used.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

MrColossal

do whatever you want with the art, we can't stop you and we wouldn't stop you.

unless you tried to sell it then we'd have problems.

good luck
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

rodekill

It seems like IG ended up being the 'other half' of AGS for beginners, in the sense that, AGS itself is the engine, and IG is the artwork.
I'm sure a lot of people just starting out with AGS are reluctant to expend a ton of energy drawing sprites and rooms and things only to find out that the engine just isn't for them. I can understand that, totally.
The unfortunate side effect is that those games never really see the light of day, and so we get the impression that IG has been a failure, when it's really been very helpful for a ton of people.

I have to question the whole 'space theme' issue though. I know when I did the forest scenes my intentions were to make something as generic as possible that could be used in all kinds of scenarios.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

m0ds

I remember back in the day of AGC, there was a zip on the site with various graphics, MIDI's etc. I don't really know your intentions eric, but why don't you get a contribution from, well, anyone who'll contribute? Insta-Game will be the phattest .zip around..

Everybody has various artwork, even if not a lot I'm sure some will be happy to fill gaps. Lots of un-used artwork would help with different themes, too. Half made games with six backgrounds still create one theme.

It depends on your intentions!

ScottDoom

When I first found Insta-Game a while ago, I opened it up and looked at it. As with many other people, I wasn't exactly sure how to make sprite grids to pull the sprites off the sprite sheets. Not caring about that for the moment, I tried to think of a storyline to fit with the empty backgrounds and few characters. I felt they constricted my level of thought, so I went on to other things.

I designed a few games here and there, half-finished one, but all of them came to a halt. So I asked myself: "Why can I not complete these games?" The answer was that I stopped because I didn't know what was ahead (scripting, animation, etc). I'd only draw a few characters and backgrounds, write out a plot, and then stop. I was unsure of how hard it would be to script, animate, and make music.

Then, I remembered Insta-Game. I downloaded it again, and began to code right away. I used the graphics as a base to have something to program with (as the AGS engine seems to need graphics in order to really program). My Insta-Game started to turn into something somewhat entertaining, so I decided to make it into my first real game (check my signature for the demo). With the practice in scripting I gained from using your graphics, I feel that I can make actual games now with my own graphics. So you've helped yet another newbie find his way into the game-making community.

The real flaw in Insta-Game is the lack of themes. As others have said, adding a small modern theme, and maybe an ancient/historical theme would really allow people to be more creative with AGS in terms of storyline. Most people who are excited about AGS are excited because they have "THE BEST STORY/IDEA EVER!!!!" If you give them the right graphics, they'll be able to make this adventure game they've been dreaming of making. As of right now, most Insta-Games will feel the same. I think that's the reason people aren't downloading my game demo, because it's an Insta-Game game rather than a made-from-scratch game...

Ozwalled

I downloaded IG a while back. I think the reason I've not released anything with it, more than anything, was that the pixel art was good to a point that I was a bit intimidated. "What if I want to add in another character?" I asked myself. I just didn't think I'd be able to match up to its quality (my thinking has since changed a bit, but I'm still no artist).

On the other hand, just LOOKING at some of the stuff and playing around with it has been very useful to help me learn about AGS, so I'm definitely glad I downloaded it.

Barbarian

I d-loaded it a while ago and looked over things, but a "space theme" wasn't really what I was looking for at the time, though I may use some of it for a future project perhaps.  I did use the "stick" graphic template for something though.  ;)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Ozwalled

Forgot to add that an Instagame Template with all the graphics all in there and the GUI in there and all ready to go would probably have encouraged more (of us lazy) people to use it. Proabably still would, too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk